Forums

Help › Forums

Shot Shaping

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jan 23 2010 9:20 AM (8 replies)
  • Tiggulok
    8 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2010 6:29 AM

I want to put a little or a lot of draw on certain shots.  How do I curve a shot in this game?

oops, just read that this is a future feature, thanks.

Tigg

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2010 6:53 AM

Hang on Tigg-you can simulate them now. It isn't true but works the same. You fade by hitting late and draw by hitting early. 2 instant examples.  BPB3-off blue tees hitting early takes you around the treeline and lands you in the fairway.   BPB5-very friendly to a fade that will keep you out of the rough. 

You can offset wind direction this way too. Experiment with it. Yes, I know it's not a true fade/draw but the end result is the same. GL

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2010 7:42 AM

YankeeJim:

BPB3-off blue tees hitting early takes you around the treeline and lands you in the fairway.

Huh?  BPB3 is a par 3 YJ.   You mean #2, dogleg left?

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2010 7:54 AM

When you hit late or early, does the ball not just take off right away in that direction?

I have not "practiced" this yet but when I do it by accident it seems that I often lose my aim (like was suggested in the other thread) and the ball mostly heads straight in the direction missed.

This would make it pretty hard to hook around a dogleg. 

• Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2010 8:31 AM

The key is to set the shot up correctly. The way it is at present means that you are in effect managing a miss hit - the ball isnt going to end up where the aim marker is so you need to adjust aim accordingly. Take bp 2 as an example. To hold that fairway with draw youre going to be aiming deep into the treeline on the right. The way I do it is to drag the aim marker to the distance that I know the ball will land before roll then adjust for the curve im going to put on it. Wind will either straighten the flight out or make the curve more acute depending on direction so you need to practice this method extensively to get a feel for how wind direction/strength affects curved balls. Once you get it though it becomes a pretty safe shot that you can replicate as you need it

Kudos to molideha for teaching me and others this method - a true gent who shares his game knowledge whilst out on course and is sorely missed by the ladder community.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2010 8:52 AM

andyson:
    Huh?  BPB3 is a par 3 YJ.   You mean #2, dogleg left?

DOH! Exactly right andy.

@spack-aiming isn't a factor at BPB2. A full draw, meaning the first mark left of center, with no wind will put you dead center of the fwy. With wind it might be on the right or left of center but it's in the fairway. I have never aimed deep into any woods. Try it.

btw-where did moli go?

• Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2010 8:59 AM

YankeeJim:
    @spack-aiming isn't a factor at BPB2

lol YJ it is for me :) I believe there is a sweet spot for draw/fade that isnt bang on that line. Perhaps we are playing different shots?

I think Mo just got tired of kicking everyones ass lol

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2010 9:05 AM

I was just using the extreme example, S. The way I personally beat the deviation is to create my own, so to speak. I don't notice wild swings in expectations because i don't have any. Play loose. JMO

• Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Sat, Jan 23 2010 9:20 AM

Yea man - full respect to what you do, variety is the spice of life and all that. My thing is searching for precision to minimize deviation, doesn't always work but its how i aspire to play.

Happily rolling along just honing my game :)

RSS