Forums

Help › Forums

Kyle Stanley

Mon, Feb 6 2012 5:16 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • DavidTomsFanatic
    43 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2012 10:12 AM

Was his meltdown at the Farmers Insurance Open arguably THE biggest meltdown on PGA Tour history? He had a Par 5 that only measured 536 yards (basically a long par 4) and he makes a snowman 8 in which a 7 would have won him the tournament.

I thought he made the wrong decision by choosing to lay up on the final hole in regulation. He only had 237 yards to the flag. He could have hit a 3 wood which would easily carry over the green and brought the water completely out of play. He is also one of the longest hitters on Tour, so he probably doesn't need anything more than a 3 or even 4 iron to carry the green. But he chose to lay up and it ultimately cost him when the wedge shot had too much spin and went in the water.

If I were him I would definitely have went for the green in 2. If I didn't have the power to reach it in 2 I would have laid up, hit a wedge to the back of the green to bring the water COMPLETELY out of play, and two (or three) putt for the win.

Just my thought regarding Kyle Stanley's meltdown.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2012 10:34 AM

Was his meltdown at the Farmers Insurance Open arguably THE biggest meltdown on PGA Tour history?

2 words: Michelson/ Wingfoot

Easy to say yeah he should'a just went for it. Keep in mind, he knew that he was playing poorley in this last round & wanted to have caution in mind.

Also,,if you fire a 3 wood up to that green, you run the rist of the ball rolling down into the water anyway.

I think Kyle played really well in that final round considering he was playing very poorly,that may not make any sense but that's what I do hear from the pro's. "Try to play the best you can when the wheels are coming off".

Just my view of it.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2012 10:43 AM

BubbaCrusher007:
    Also,,if you fire a 3 wood up to that green, you run the rist of the ball rolling down into the water anyway.

Kevin Costner in Tin Cup.  :-)

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2012 11:35 AM

YankeeJim:
    Kevin Costner in Tin Cup.  :-)

bingo!

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2012 7:11 PM

I don't know who ever played worse than that. I watched the last 3 holes + the extra holes............it was PAINFULL!!!!!!

• yumezukuri
    9 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2012 1:19 AM

Yeah, you really had to feel for him, especially as he didn't do a heck of a lot wrong on the 18th initially - ok he maybe shoulda gone for it in 2, but he did get that 3rd up above the flag....for a coupla seconds anyway

Reminded me of something Mickelson did here in last year's Barclays Singapore Open on the 18th as well - spun the ball back out of the fringe (or was it rough) at the back of the green, all the way off the front and into the water...must have been a total of 20-30 yards of backspin. I guess for the pros controlling the spin is a must on back to front greens like that.

Still, Stanley did at least pocket quite a handy cheque, and the way he played all week suggests that's not gonna be his only shot at a win this year...

• jimwade35
    480 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 10:29 AM

agree with you Yum............. he is such a player.  wish he would thought and hit a sandwedge in stead of the lob wedge. would have put him 10 more on, real safe even if it did spin.......... kind of like Sneidker.....or took a practice swing and put a bit of dirt in the grooves...

I like him tho,,,is a player for sure.........what a tough lesson,

Jim

• AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 11:04 AM

DavidTomsFanatic:

Was his meltdown at the Farmers Insurance Open arguably THE biggest meltdown on PGA Tour history? He had a Par 5 that only measured 536 yards (basically a long par 4) and he makes a snowman 8 in which a 7 would have won him the tournament.

I thought he made the wrong decision by choosing to lay up on the final hole in regulation. He only had 237 yards to the flag. He could have hit a 3 wood which would easily carry over the green and brought the water completely out of play. He is also one of the longest hitters on Tour, so he probably doesn't need anything more than a 3 or even 4 iron to carry the green. But he chose to lay up and it ultimately cost him when the wedge shot had too much spin and went in the water.

If I were him I would definitely have went for the green in 2. If I didn't have the power to reach it in 2 I would have laid up, hit a wedge to the back of the green to bring the water COMPLETELY out of play, and two (or three) putt for the win.

Just my thought regarding Kyle Stanley's meltdown.

There's Robert Garrigus' blown 3 shot lead at the final hole in the 2010 St. Jude Classic that also led to him losing in a play-off. And even though it wasn't at the final hole, there's always McIlroy's collapse at the Masters last year as well as Greg Norman's at the '96 Masters. Also didn't Norman blow another Masters, losing to Larry Mize in a play-off? The most infamous blow-up, of course,  was Jean Van de Velde's '99 Open debacle on the 72nd hole at Carnoustie. That was extemely harsh to watch.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 12:33 PM

I know it was a big meltdown guy and I agree, but come on: "The Farmers Open"?

How about Phil Michelson's melt down at the 2006 U.S. Open at Wingfoot? As I mentioned, that immediatley comes to my mind when someone mentions blown tournaments.

At the 2006 U.S. Open at Winged Foot, Mickelson was part of a wild finish, in which he ended up in a tie for second place at +6 (286), one shot behind champion Geoff Ogilvy. On the 71st hole, Mickelson, with the lead at +3, missed the fairway to the left, and his drive finished inside a garbage can, from which he was granted a free drop; he parred the hole, but his bogey on the previous hole reduced his lead to one shot heading to the final hole. Needing a par for a one-shot victory, he chose to hit driver on the final hole of the tournament, and hit it well left of the fairway (he had only hit two of thirteen fairways previously in the round). The ball bounced off a corporate hospitality tent and settled in an area of trampled-down grass that was enclosed with trees. He decided to go for the green with his second shot, rather than play it safe and pitch out into the fairway. His ball then hit a tree, and did not advance more than 50 yards. His next shot plugged into the left greenside bunker. He was unable to get up and down from there, resulting in a double bogey, and costing him a chance of winning the championship outright or getting into a playoff, and also ending his bid to join Ben Hogan and Tiger Woods as the only players to win three consecutive professional majors (he had won two in a row heading into Winged Foot).

a

• 73ennis73
    144 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2012 3:08 PM

only for the tv tower that snedeker hit on 16 on the playoff the game was over, very unfair i thought  to stanley that snedeker was able to win after hitting a crap shot and getting relief when it should have been  gone over the cliff

• PAGES
RSS