YankeeJim:
    Fusion driver

You still using that Jim?

• jordanisawesome
    620 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2012 12:48 PM

GolferAlpha:
    a cheap and good one that would last me long

to add, yes you can find lots of used club for cheap, my first clubs were used and cheap, got my handicap to 10 with those over the years.

I then moved onto clubs recommended and fit for me, they costed significantly more, but my handicap went down to 5 with them

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2012 1:20 PM

Yes YankeeJim

I have used them before and they are not expensive and the quality is guaranteed, you have to be careful these days with cheap Chinese imitation clubs flooding E-Bay and other sites.

I ordered on a Friday and the following  Monday morning the clubs were at my door in the Netherlands exactly in the condition as described. New grips, 1 inch longer and the lie set at the correct angle for about 60% cheaper than buying from the local dealer here. Of course our money grabbing S.O.B. taxman took his cut, about 21% of the total cost including the postage, but all in all well worth the money I paid.

I would recommend them to any budding golfer and of course if you take clubs in used condition they are also cheaper than like new but still will give a lifetime of faithful service.

• gordonparker
    823 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2012 2:01 PM

i use the r11 driver which has been cut 2 inches and is set on draw and the r11 irons which have been cut 1 inch. my vokey wedges i havent cut because i feel that i have better control with them and get better spin. Also golf balls are a big advantage. prov1's or nxt's u need to use instead of something like top flite

gordon

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2012 3:10 PM

jordanisawesome:

YankeeJim:
    Fusion driver

You still using that Jim?

Yup. 9 degree stiff.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2012 7:36 PM

If money or lack of it is a consideration some very good clubs can be found at places like the Goodwill,St. Vincent DePaul , or the Salvation Army thrift store. Around here they throw them into a barrel and price them @ $1.00 each. And at times you can find some awesome deals. Like A full set of Hogan Edge irons for for $9.00. And a Medicus 5 iron training club for a buck. 

• GolferAlpha
    17 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2012 9:56 PM

Okay thanks all really , overwhelmed by the response i get .

So basically , after MORE googling , i've given up on buying beginner sets because they usually come in steel shafts , which i dont like it to be . I will be re-using my Mizuno irons (graphite shaft cavity backed) and wedges (graphite shaft cavity backed) that my granddad gave me , add a driver , a fairway wood , 2 hybrids from callaway pre-owned . 

This is how my intended line up shld look like :

Big Bertha 11 Driver
    Big Bertha 3 Woods
    FT 4 Hybrids Draw
    FT 5 Hybrids Draw
    Mizuno 6-PWSW  - by granddad
    NIke Putter - by granddad

Does that looks good ? Or is there anything i need to make ?

• TGor
    313 Posts
    Sat, Jan 7 2012 7:33 AM

The first thing my sons golf coach told told him (after seeing the "X-Mart" specials), was technology. He advised us to go hit a few different  new clubs from different makers and check how they feel, where you make contact and how you hit them using the same size club throughout the session. He started with the Pings, was hitting the 6i @160-165, switched to the TaylorMade 6i , not much better @165-170yds. When he picked up the Cobras and his first hit went 190 on the 6, he just looked at me and smiled. @185-190.

The moral of this story is- Try it before you buy it and get the latest technology you can afford. I like the Cobras myself but I don't play like I used to. I'll stick with my 20 year old Dunlaps. 

Tony

• GaryKoop
    149 Posts
    Sat, Jan 7 2012 11:36 AM

Before you "play" on a golf course, go caddy for someone first. 

WGT is nothing like the real world!

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Sat, Jan 7 2012 1:06 PM

Not sure what the lofts are on the Mizuno clubs, but if you have a BB driver with 11 degree loft, then a BB fairway wood with 15 degrees loft, I personally would put a FT 3 hybrid in there at 20 degrees loft, then a FT 5 hybrid at 26 degrees loft. The reason for my change is I think the FT 4 at 23 degrees loft and 5 hybrids are too close together in loft degrees to have any real benefit from the gaps that you have.

RSS