Forums

Help › Forums

Can we get new advanced wedges by ONE Manufacturer?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Mar 16 2024 5:48 AM (20 replies)
  • SplashLewis
    358 Posts
    Wed, Feb 28 2024 1:55 PM

We havent had new 56/60/64 wedges in the 60, 80, 100 yd distance by ONE manufacturer since the Titleist Vokey SM8's, which DID NOT make any improvement over the OLD Cleveland 588's (L80), for YEARs.  Even piecing together various manufacturer wedges, you cannot make improvement over the old Clevelands.  Can we get some new ones from ONE manufacturer in 60/80/100yd?

Thank you

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, Feb 28 2024 2:20 PM

I would say most clubs fall into that category. While I guess I don't follow the new versions that closely, it seems to me it's been a few years since any of the clubs have been upgraded. Basically, WGT simply changes the branding and increases the prices while leaving the clubs' characteristics the same.

I could be wrong, but I think the last real upgrade in any clubs in when they introduced the Callaway Mack Daddy wedges. That was something like 7 years ago (IIRC).

I'm not saying you're wrong. Just noting the futility of the request. 

• SplashLewis
    358 Posts
    Wed, Feb 28 2024 3:57 PM

I've seen putters, iron sets and drivers get better more more often and more recently then wedges and yes, I'm thinking 5+ years with the wedges.  Not sure if a request has been made, so I wouldn't know if its in futility. I'm gonna stay positive.

I see you have the Cleveland's as well, pretty much the same top of the line clubs as me and therefore the same issue with the lack of a better set of wedges available.  I don't need more spin,  just give me more accuracy and forgiveness lol

• Squatch031
    172 Posts
    Thu, Feb 29 2024 10:07 AM

I agree.  I recently rented the Jaws Full Toe wedges but hated the meter increments (75, 90, and 115).  Just difficult doing the math when calculating shots based on odd increments.  Sticking with the Titleist Vokey's.

• BlackBogey
    276 Posts
    Thu, Feb 29 2024 2:45 PM

The top of the line Jaws Full Toes available to you are 75, 100, and 115.  IMHO the 75 and 100 are superior to the 80 and 100 Vokeys in every way (meter speed/precision/forgiveness).  And since you can't drop the set PW both the 115 Callaway or Vokey are a waste of a spot (except CTTH or Par 3 rounds).  They really can't offer much more spin/forgiveness/precision than the Callaways already provide or people would be holing almost everything inside 100yds LOL. 

Now if only they offered a 60yd Jaws Full Toes that would probably sell out overnight.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Thu, Feb 29 2024 7:14 PM

I'm actually fine with the Cleveland wedges. They do what I need them to do and are very consistent. 

Regardless, once WGT introduced apparel a while back, I pretty much gave up on seeing any significant upgrades to the clubs. It seems to me, WGT's focus on apparel, which allows for improving clubs' characteristics in some way (for example, slower meter or improving sweet spot), means they are unlikely to concern themselves all that much with the equipment (other than to re-brand from time-to-time and increase price points).

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Fri, Mar 1 2024 8:13 AM

What exactly do you want new wedges to do?  They already stop on a dime.  Maybe you want them to stop on a pinhead, or seek out the hole when they land?  Or better still, while the ball is still in the air?

Seroiusly, if you are needing better wedges than those already available, this points to nothing more than your own skill level being sub par.  Improve your game and you'll be able to play with any clubs.  The current wedges will even stop a starter ball on a dime, let alone other premium balls.

• SplashLewis
    358 Posts
    Wed, Mar 13 2024 1:33 PM

MioKontic:

What exactly do you want new wedges to do?  They already stop on a dime.  Maybe you want them to stop on a pinhead, or seek out the hole when they land?  Or better still, while the ball is still in the air?

Seroiusly, if you are needing better wedges than those already available, this points to nothing more than your own skill level being sub par.  Improve your game and you'll be able to play with any clubs.  The current wedges will even stop a starter ball on a dime, let alone other premium balls.

Hey guy, if you cant be positive, dont say sh!t.   Dont be a smart azz clown,  Your stats aren't too different than mine.  The topic is "Product Suggestions".  If you dont have anything to add or agree with, keep it moving.

• Squatch031
    172 Posts
    Thu, Mar 14 2024 8:06 AM

MioKontic is right.  The higher-end wedges perform well so he was just being honest.  Another term for "being positive" all of the  time is lying.  Don't fault or criticize someone for telling the truth!

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Thu, Mar 14 2024 9:51 AM

SplashLewis:
    Hey guy, if you cant be positive, dont say sh!t.   Dont be a smart azz clown,  Your stats aren't too different than mine.  The topic is "Product Suggestions".  If you dont have anything to add or agree with, keep it moving.

Yes, this is the product suggestions forum. But I believe the point the other person is making is more advanced wedges are not needed.

With upper-level wedges, the thing keeping players from getting the ball closer to the hole is the player not the equipment.

RSS