Forums

Help › Forums

Repeat of courses in clash

rated by 0 users
Sat, Sep 30 2023 3:06 AM (4 replies)
  • DAputts
    1,789 Posts
    Fri, Sep 29 2023 7:54 AM

My club just  had Merion 3 clashes in a row...that's 9 hours of Merion. Not the easiest of courses to spend 9 hours on. Has to be a better random selection method... 

• callaghan159
    6,224 Posts
    Fri, Sep 29 2023 8:44 AM

DAputts:

My club just  had Merion 3 clashes in a row...that's 9 hours of Merion. Not the easiest of courses to spend 9 hours on. Has to be a better random selection method... 

Everyone should play the same course then take that course out of use for the duration of the clash. Cant make things any fairer than that.

• SamSpayed
    4,907 Posts
    Fri, Sep 29 2023 12:47 PM

callaghan159:
    Everyone should play the same course then take that course out of use for the duration of the clash. Cant make things any fairer than that.

But WGT only uses 6 courses for each Clash event.  What happens when your club has used up all 6?

I would also think that would pose problems with matching - you'd have fewer clubs to match with as you use up more of the 6 courses, because you'd have to match up with a club that hasn't played one of the courses you have left to play.

• callaghan159
    6,224 Posts
    Fri, Sep 29 2023 3:35 PM

SamSpayed:

callaghan159:

But WGT only uses 6 courses for each Clash event.  What happens when your club has used up all 6?

I would also think that would pose problems with matching - you'd have fewer clubs to match with as you use up more of the 6 courses, because you'd have to match up with a club that hasn't played one of the courses you have left to play.

Wgt has more than 6 courses to draw from....even if they used the same 6 course for both days......everyone should be playing the same courses, appears to be so much unbalanced draw for some clubs.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Sat, Sep 30 2023 3:06 AM

They have 17 courses, not including "best of" courses. The fair thing to do, would be to use 11 courses and never the same one twice. Fair to all clash clubs. There are 11 clash games per clash. Everyone would play the same courses, and never a repeat of a course.

When a club gets stuck on repeat at Merion, and another gets stuck on repeat at Wolf (back 9 especially), it makes a huge difference in scoring. We spent the first 24 hrs and part of 2nd 24 playing congo and oakmont only.

RSS