Forums

Help › Forums

Intro // How to get better and earn credits?.

Mon, Dec 21 2009 2:48 PM (6 replies)
  • JdhMac
    3 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2009 11:25 AM

Hey guys.

First off, I just wanted to introduce myself.  My name's Jonathan and I've been casually playing WGT off and on for maybe a little over a year now.  Lately though, it's been becoming more and more of a hobby of mine and I love it.  I do have a question or two about some beginner type problems.

I guess the easiest way to sum it up is, how can I get better, I mean, out of the "hack" ranking, and is it possible to earn credits to update my golf bag and avatar without having to spend any money?.  Basically I don't know what tournaments or games to play in order to progress.  I've just been messing around lately, but like I said earlier, I'd really like to start playing regularly and progress as a WGT member.

Any help, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Jonathan

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2009 11:31 AM
    May I suggest you start playing practice rounds, you have no recorded stroke play rounds in! Closest to the hole sweeps is something you should look into, the winner is randomly picked in those! Good luck.
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2009 11:31 AM

The best way to progress is to buy credits and new equipment. There's no easy way to earn credits that would allow you to purchase any upgraded equipment worth the mention, so the best thing is to sacrifice about $10 at least to buy one of the upgraded club sets. Both credit-cards and PayPal are accepted on this site.

PS: But if you're an absolute beginner, play with starter equipment first, as ClaremoreBlue says.

• JdhMac
    3 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2009 7:57 AM

Thanks for the advice guys.  It's appreciated.

So there is a way to earn credits without paying, right?.

I understand about spending the $10 and going from there, but it's just not something I'm that into yet.  Maybe in near future though.

Thanks again guys.

By the way, so a full practice round will "count" towards something Claremore?.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2009 8:05 AM

JdhMac:
    So there is a way to earn credits without paying, right?

You can win credits, in symbolic amounts for most players, by participating in tournaments. The payout in the new "ready-go" tournaments is higher, but the entry fee is $1.00. You also get symbolic amounts of credits for advancing to the Amateur/Pro/Master tier. Theoretically, you could also wager your first free 100 credits to challenge others for match-play games, and go on winning from there until you have enough credits to buy decent clubs, but that's a rather unlikely scenario for a beginning player.

JdhMac:
    By the way, so a full practice round will "count" towards something [...]?

No, it will count towards nothing. You need to play a ranked round (9 holes is enough) if you wish to lower your average score.

• JdhMac
    3 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2009 8:25 AM

Thanks Fattie.

• 2Stupid2Live
    31 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2009 2:48 PM

Faterson:

The best way to progress is to buy credits and new equipment. There's no easy way to earn credits that would allow you to purchase any upgraded equipment worth the mention, so the best thing is to sacrifice about $10 at least to buy one of the upgraded club sets. Both credit-cards and PayPal are accepted on this site.

PS: But if you're an absolute beginner, play with starter equipment first, as ClaremoreBlue says.

What? You buy stuff for a Beta game?

Faterson, do you work here? I just posted two other threads on how to receive payment for testing and my difficulties. Could you look at those and respond?

RSS