Forums

Help › Forums

Alternating Play Putting

Sun, Jul 23 2023 12:03 PM (9 replies)
  • Spangled04
    27 Posts
    Sun, Jul 9 2023 8:44 AM

I'm new to this format. What is the etiquette for conceding putts? Thank you. 

• ScottHope
    10,096 Posts
    Mon, Jul 10 2023 11:04 AM

Generally its 3 ft or less from the cup. Keep an eye on the number of shots each team has played though, so you don't make your opponents putt from say, 30 ft away for 4, when you're 2 ft away for 2.

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Mon, Jul 10 2023 12:45 PM

ScottHope:
    Generally its 3 feet or less from the cup.

Yes this is standard, but some like longer some shorter and some want no CC's and some people are quite adamant that their way is correct.

IMO- Its best to ask the other players when the round begins "3ft CC work for all?". Helps avoid drama later in game.

• KenBTEXAS
    284 Posts
    Mon, Jul 10 2023 2:37 PM

Spangled04:

yes, 3 feet is most common..

however that being said, I will never make any agreement in any game as that sets my available choices in stone. I believe in situational awareness. If it is a straight uphill putt and the opo has been putting well I will cc 5-6 footer. If it is a slick bender from 2ft I may make them putt out depending on the score in the game. 

• callaghan159
    6,222 Posts
    Tue, Jul 11 2023 3:14 AM

KenBTEXAS:
    yes, 3 feet is most common..

I like the 30 ft cc's.😂

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Wed, Jul 12 2023 1:05 PM

When I do play A/S , which isn't that often any more, I do 3 to 5 feet except on holes like #2 at St, Andrews  #9 At Oakmont and # 15 at BPB

• alosso
    21,039 Posts
    Wed, Jul 12 2023 7:45 PM

Spangled04:

By the Rules of Golf, it's not just an etiquette point but may be an important psychological part of the game. To concede or not may be used for various purposes, including to disturb or annoy the opponent. It's completely at the opponent's discretion (Rule 3.2 b):

<quote>A player may concede the opponent’s next stroke, a hole or the match</quote>

In casual games, you may decide to agree to a mutual limit, for equal leniency. Remember though that those who demand longer distances may be worse in putting...

• Yiannis1970
    3,270 Posts
    Thu, Jul 13 2023 2:28 AM

Hey Alosso. I went with this regarding Ryder Cup rules:

Normal 0 false false false EL X-NONE X-NONE Conceding putts is totally up to player’s discretion. Agreements between the players about putt concessions (below 3 feet etc) previous to the game are not valid and they will not be taken in account.

• MojosMojo
    104 Posts
    Thu, Jul 13 2023 7:53 AM

By the Rules of Golf, it's not just an etiquette point but may be an important psychological part of the game. To concede or not may be used for various purposes, including to disturb or annoy the opponent. It's completely at the opponent's discretion (Rule 3.2 b):

I had a guy named PhilLava cry like a lil woose when I didn’t concede a put to him (I was actually typing and couldn’t see concession button, but irrelevant). Calling me a F’ing Loser. 

Sat there and waited for the timer to go down to a couple seconds before putting, then throwing a hissy fit. Seriously, like he was entitled to it, lol. 

All I could think is what a weak pathetic character this is. I couldn’t imagine becoming so irate with an opponent because they didn’t GIVE me something for free. How freaking feeble do you have to be to do that. Just putt the ball. 

I couldn’t care less about getting a concession for a one inch putt. It’s a gift not a rule. As far as I am concerned if I suspect a player I don’t know is expecting a gift, they can be sure to never get one. 

• BigBlockVettes
    699 Posts
    Sun, Jul 23 2023 12:03 PM

You should not use A players name when telling your complaint here on WGT forum.

RSS