Forums

Help › Forums

When is WGT going to come up with a handicap system?

rated by 0 users
Sat, May 13 2023 2:39 PM (25 replies)
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sun, Apr 23 2023 4:00 PM

SamSpayed:
    Sounds like just more goofiness with the Showdowns in general - in addition to the Bogey Glitch and the Forfeit Glitch (where you have to replay 3 holes sometimes if your opponent forfeits).

I know what you mean but I enjoy it, until I get hit by a glitch again at least. 

I'm perfectly happy playing in Veteran when I have the credits but I object to others saying there's something morally wrong with me, or any higher level player, playing in Rookie if that's what I/they want to do. 

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Sun, Apr 23 2023 4:43 PM

DodgyPutter:
    I'm perfectly happy playing in Veteran when I have the credits but I object to others saying there's something morally wrong with me, or any higher level player, playing in Rookie if that's what I/they want to do. 

I'm actually with the OP on this.  I can see his point.  It's got to be frustrating to want to play Showdowns against players who are at your same skill level, but not have a realistic chance at winning the best prizes (even in the lowest-division) because higher-tiered, more skilled players like Champs and TCs are regularly playing in that division.

I personally would love to see tier limits placed on each Showdown division, i.e.:

• Rookie:  Master and below only
    • Veteran:  Tour Legend and below only
    • Expert:  Open to everyone

And, along with that, drop the entry fee for Expert down to 500 credits, to make it more affordable.

Until WGT does something like that, the lower-skilled players will continue to be screwed in the Showdowns, even when they play Rookie division.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, May 12 2023 12:09 PM

SamSpayed:

DodgyPutter:

I'm actually with the OP on this.  I can see his point.  It's got to be frustrating to want to play Showdowns against players who are at your same skill level, but not have a realistic chance at winning the best prizes (even in the lowest-division) because higher-tiered, more skilled players like Champs and TCs are regularly playing in that division.

I personally would love to see tier limits placed on each Showdown division, i.e.:

• Rookie:  Master and below only
    • Veteran:  Tour Legend and below only
    • Expert:  Open to everyone

And, along with that, drop the entry fee for Expert down to 500 credits, to make it more affordable.

Until WGT does something like that, the lower-skilled players will continue to be screwed in the Showdowns, even when they play Rookie division.

My main thoughts on the Showdown are already here but as a response to the above.

The op is a Legend playing in Rookie paying 10c to do so.  You're not with him at all, in fact you'd like him to be forced to play in Veteran and pay 500c to do so.  You'd like a TM to play from the same tees as a TL and pay 500c to do so.

If this was to be turned into yet another tiered competition the so be it but this random splitting wouldn't work.  Wgt would be crazy to do so anyway, they have an event with very good participation why change it to copy the many they have where a lot less take part?

Incidentally I don't think I have ever paid 500c to enter a competition here and have no intention of doing so, I doubt if I'm the only one.  Again I think that would be guaranteed to reduce participation.

@pdb You switched from Rookie to Veteran almost a year ago but the rules in Rookie have always been the same, everyone plays from their own tee.  Maybe you were generally paired with Legend and above.  You can only enter the Showdown once but if you miss the cut (and it's not a Rush) you can try again, and my guess would be at any tier you choose. 

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Fri, May 12 2023 1:15 PM

Yep, you can switch the category, just the way DP wrote. You must miss the cut in your quallie and it can't be on the last day of it... 😉

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Fri, May 12 2023 11:58 PM

DodgyPutter:
    The op is a Legend playing in Rookie paying 10c to do so.  You're not with him at all, in fact you'd like him to be forced to play in Veteran and pay 500c to do so.

The entry fee for Veteran would remain at 100 credits, not 500.  So, under my scenario, the OP would pay either 100 credits to play in Veteran or 500 credits to play in Expert.

DodgyPutter:
    You'd like a TM to play from the same tees as a TL and pay 500c to do so.

As you said earlier, Veteran plays from the Master tees, so they'd be tees that a TM would be used to playing from.  And again, the entry fee in Veteran would remain at 100 credits, not 500.

Yes, the OP would be paying more credits (100) to play Showdowns.  And as a Tour Champion, you'd also have to pay more credits (500 in your case) to play Showdowns.  I'd be OK with that.  You could certainly choose not to play if you felt the entry fee was too high.

DodgyPutter:
    Again I think that would be guaranteed to reduce participation.

Maybe.  Or maybe you'd see increased participation, especially from lower-tiered players who, like the OP, feel that they have no chance to win prizes under the current scenario.

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2023 4:30 AM

SamSpayed:
    Or maybe you'd see increased participation, especially from lower-tiered players who, like the OP, feel that they have no chance to win prizes under the current scenario

I'm guessing this would definitely increase participation among lower tiered players. The question is though, how much less people would play the higher ranked categories. Not sure the math would fa our WGT, given that 10 people less in the veteran would mean they'd need 100 more players in the rookie, to get the same entry fee. Sure, they'd use more balls, but probably cheaper ones, so it'd end up around the same figure.

I honestly don't know, how many more people would play the 10 cr version, if they had a better chance to win, given the entry fee's a pittance and the prizes aren't that good. From what I see from the bracket circuit, a lot of players don't really care, if they have zero chance of winning. Cause in most higher credit brackets almost half the field is a regular sushi buffet. Which I don't really mind, cause it means, I can save a ton by using some cheap ball in about a third of my rounds, cause a - 3 or 5 still wins by a country mile 😉

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2023 10:02 AM

Another thought:  What if the entry fee for Expert were reduced to 250 credits, not 500?  Would that make it more palatable to the Champions and TCs who would be forced to play in that division?

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2023 10:24 AM

SamSpayed:

Another thought:  What if the entry fee for Expert were reduced to 250 credits, not 500?  Would that make it more palatable to the Champions and TCs who would be forced to play in that division?

Who knows, probably so. I can only speak for myself and I have no problem with the 1000 cr entry fee. The reason why I have (thus far) never entered the expert division is that I didn't have enough coins to comfortably enter it. I could theoretically lose all matchups and not be able to play to the end, cause I have only crossed the 1,5 million coins recently. Never been the one to play coin room, or doing the daily spin. And most of the coins I had went towards upgrading apparel I'll never use, lol. 

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2023 10:50 AM

AnaNikolaj:
    I can only speak for myself and I have no problem with the 1000 cr entry fee. The reason why I have (thus far) never entered the expert division is that I didn't have enough coins to comfortably enter it. I could theoretically lose all matchups and not be able to play to the end, cause I have only crossed the 1,5 million coins recently.

You would likely need to spend a little time building up your coin stack, then.  The Expert coin room (Montreal/BetMGM) costs 100K for each 3-hole round.  That's 1.5M coins in entry fees to play an entire Showdown.  My understanding from others who play coin rooms regularly is that you can build a stack of a couple million coins over the course of an evening.  I imagine that a Tour Champion with a 53 average would have very little difficulty doing that 😉

RSS