Forums

Help › Forums

Masters shooting - Hole 3 on BPB.

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 8 2009 12:02 PM (7 replies)
  • GolfDum
    396 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 8:46 PM

When iwas a pro, this hole was an easy reach with an iron..... a club that would actually backspin.

How are you guys going about hitting this green with a wood and being consistent at it?

Any tips would be great!

Thanks!

GD

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 9:29 PM

if ur a master  i would'nt  think u would be hitting wood unless plus 12 head wind with g10 you really drop down to 200 club with back spin

• GolfDum
    396 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 11:13 PM

Thanks for the response J.

My 200 yard rapture will not make that green unless i have at least a 3-4 MPH tail wind. My luck , i generally end up with a wind in my face or a cross wind from the left.

That's what has me so curious. Shooting a wood at that green is like playing 50%-50% you never know what will happen.

GD

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 12:41 AM

Often I'll play the B-ES ball at BPB, and without the extra distance, a 3i will sometimes not make it, even with the G10 Master set.

My advise... Learn how to hit something other than a 100% full shot, drop the redundant 3rd wedge, and play a hybrid! HA!

but that's just me... all the cool kids play 3 wedges.

With the PING G10 Master hybrid in my bag, I actually love to see a headwind on that hole. Full BS, a click or two off the power, and you'll be amazed at how well the ball stops.

other than that, be sure to ding the meter! But if you're going to miss, miss it late and not early, at least you'll have a good 25-35 foot putt for birdie instead of a bunker shot or possibly bad lie.

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 2:04 AM
    I'm using the Rapture hybrid 99% of the time no matter what ball I'm using ( but it's usually the Tour SD ). With a big tailwind, I might think about htting 3i, but mostly I just lay off the hyrbid because the hybrid seems to get a little more spin and stops quicker. If i'm hitting into a head wind, it's a little topspin, aim more to the right, and don't think so much about getting close. Like birdwell said above, better a long putt for birdie than hitting out of the bunker or from the rough at the bottom of the hill.
  • marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 5:05 AM

jbenny11:

if ur a master  i would'nt  think u would be hitting wood unless plus 12 head wind with g10 you really drop down to 200 club with back spin

with my club setup and use of default ball, utility wood on that hole every time (or 3 wood if there's a really strong headwind).

it's basically hit and pray, but i have plenty of confidence that i can put my pitch shot into 1 putt range if i miss the green.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 5:36 AM

birdwell is "spot on" imo. For myself, I always put full bs on the ball (GI-D) no matter what and will use a 3i (pro G10 200yds) with side or tail wind and my master G10 HB (220yds.) with any head wind (including a side wind slightly against me). With a good tail wind (10mph or more) I`ll even drop down to a 4i-190yds and reach easily.

And yes, favor the right side for a putt rather than a chip/pitch/flop !

PS- The spin reaction on the HB is amazing compared to a 3w for stopping the ball on the green.

• HigherThanYall
    51 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 12:02 PM

I have a Hole-n-one on that hole.I saved the replay on my page take a look..

RSS