Help › Forums

PITCH CHIP FLOP PUNCH - Overcoming Frustrations WIth These

rated by 0 users
Mon, Nov 30 2009 4:57 AM (1 replies)
  • AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Mon, Nov 30 2009 4:30 AM

Hello All...

I thought I would add some general thoughts regarding these shot variants that might be helpful.

Back in the Spring of 2009 on WGT - I had the same experience with these shots that many players have - both new and experienced.  I started trying to use them and a CHIP (for example) would go 3 yards when I had set it up for 10 yards and similar frustrations.  I would end up wasting strokes with what I thought were hard to control and unreliable shots.  (As I explain below, I simply never really understood these shots).

As such - I did what ALOT of players have done.  I took these OUT OF my game entirely - preferring to hone some consistency doing EVERYTHING as a FULL SWING and disregarding these variants.

I THINK I RECOMMEND THIS FOR NEWER PLAYERS - it will eliminate some frustration and it will give you some sense of consistency and control over your shots and your game.  (BUT - once you have some consistency with the full swing THEN come back to these as below.  Don't expect to improve your averages FOREVER by ignoring these shots).

NOW....after taking most of the Summer off from WGT I am back....and I have begun to work with some of these shots.

I have played some PRACTICE rounds - intentionally hitting my approach shots OFF the green in order to experiment with the various shots.  I have now gained a good understanding of how the CHIP and PITCH work - the differences between them and importantly when to OR NOT TO - use them.  NOTE:  Certainly, WGT gives good general definitions of how each is supposed to work - BUT the key is learning HOW to use them and when they are appropriate.  Sometimes a FULL SWING will still be appropriate.

I AM FINDING THAT ONCE I HAVE LEARNED WHEN TO USE THESE, they ARE landing the ball closer to the hole (than a FULL swing would) and saving me some strokes.

So it is a gradual process where I am "enhancing" my game gradually.  And improving it by adding these to my own skill set.

I have now begun to incorporate the PITCH and CHIP into my RANKED rounds.

I have not yet fooled around with PUNCH or FLOP.  I have read VARDON'S comments in his post ("Struggling to Get from Pro to Master") about using the FLOP out of the sand - and those comments are well received - in a week or so I will probably go and mess around with a PRACTICE round to get the FLOP figured out.  (PUNCH will come later also).

In short - this is what is working for me.  I have played some Multi-player games with MASTER level players.  THEY use these shots.  In order to reach that level, I will use them too.  and MASTER them myself.

Best Regards,  AtlantaCoaster

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Mon, Nov 30 2009 4:57 AM

Required reading (at least it should be)

Iconians chipping guide

RSS