Forums

Help › Forums

Mass Migration of CC's

rated by 0 users
Mon, May 4 2020 11:45 AM (8 replies)
  • Slimjim001
    1,025 Posts
    Sat, May 2 2020 3:07 PM

Country club owners. Just curious. How do you plan to move your entire club from the Flash to the Steam by the end of 2020? Seems like a logistics nightmare to me.

• JDGHOST
    6,784 Posts
    Sun, May 3 2020 7:17 PM

Slimjim001:

Country club owners. Just curious. How do you plan to move your entire club from the Flash to the Steam by the end of 2020? Seems like a logistics nightmare to me.

Move Country Clubs where? ...If flash is unplayable at the end of 2020 (Which it won't be there will always be ways to play flash version some browsers will continue to carry flash for a longtime past that date) But  irregardless  steam is just another platform to just play the 'PCEA" version which is already available right here on good ol' WGT just download the WGT Launcher .....No need to ever go on steam to play WGT if you don't want to....

JD

• Rhaethorn
    167 Posts
    Sun, May 3 2020 8:39 PM

JDGHOST:
    there will always be ways to play flash version some browsers will continue to carry flash for a longtime past that date

Which browsers will do this? I've tried quite a few different browsers and they all say that flash will no longer be supported at the end of 2020. 

I've downloaded the PCEA stand alone version and it runs fine on my old PC but unfortunately it is not something I will be playing much of if at all.

Regards, Ray

• jacktrade51
    10,901 Posts
    Sun, May 3 2020 9:39 PM

I will look to JD on advice for this.  But as I understand it, I don't have to do anything with club.

We need to get our players to migrate over to new platform.  I have up-loaded it but not played with it yet.

Tom.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2020 3:20 AM

Slimjim001:
    Country club owners.
    It's not on us.

It's rather on WGT to make the CC features work: CC home page, tournament tools, owner's tools, CC forums.

Next, owners and members may have to migrate from PC to the new platforms.

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2020 10:40 AM

JDGHOST:
    If flash is unplayable at the end of 2020 (Which it won't be there will always be ways to play flash version some browsers will continue to carry flash for a longtime past that date)

I think you're opening up a can of worms by splashing that statement round JD. Yes I know Champ mentioned something about some browsers possibly still having flash working after 2020 and the old game potentially being accessible that way. But he said it in a fairly offhand manner and not as a statement of fact.

I don't think anyone has a clear picture of what the post-2020 flash landscape will look like as it pertains to this game, but even if you can find a browser that still has flash working, and even if you can use it to access the old flash game (a couple of big"ifs" right there) then it remains true that flash will no longer be supported. That means that any glitches, crashes or other game play problems that exist or arise will not be fixed. It can only deteriorate over time, and any new features or improvements that are added to the EA/Steam versions will not appear in the flash version.

In my opinion if anyone wants to go on playing WGT beyond 2020 then using the new version is the sensible choice. Yes, you have to practice and relearn some aspects of the game and yes it looks a bit different if you haven't seen the mobile version. But pinning your hopes on being able to carry on playing the flash game as if nothing has happened is just whistling past the graveyard.

No offence meant.

Nigel.

• daveparr
    1,175 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2020 11:15 AM

There may not be a Flash game to play after 2020   if they can turn it off for Down/times they can turn it off for good

• JDGHOST
    6,784 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2020 11:29 AM

daveparr:

There may not be a Flash game to play after 2020   if they can turn it off for Down/times they can turn it off for good

What I got from Champs comments is that it will NOT be "turned off" ...It will be at least available for those that wanna continue "Trying" to play flash....As Nigel stated whether or not that becomes practical remains to be seen...I do realize that...

JD

• JDGHOST
    6,784 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2020 11:45 AM

Wutpa:

JDGHOST:
    If flash is unplayable at the end of 2020 (Which it won't be there will always be ways to play flash version some browsers will continue to carry flash for a longtime past that date)

I think you're opening up a can of worms by splashing that statement round JD. Yes I know Champ mentioned something about some browsers possibly still having flash working after 2020 and the old game potentially being accessible that way. But he said it in a fairly offhand manner and not as a statement of fact.

I don't think anyone has a clear picture of what the post-2020 flash landscape will look like as it pertains to this game, but even if you can find a browser that still has flash working, and even if you can use it to access the old flash game (a couple of big"ifs" right there) then it remains true that flash will no longer be supported. That means that any glitches, crashes or other game play problems that exist or arise will not be fixed. It can only deteriorate over time, and any new features or improvements that are added to the EA/Steam versions will not appear in the flash version.

In my opinion if anyone wants to go on playing WGT beyond 2020 then using the new version is the sensible choice. Yes, you have to practice and relearn some aspects of the game and yes it looks a bit different if you haven't seen the mobile version. But pinning your hopes on being able to carry on playing the flash game as if nothing has happened is just whistling past the graveyard.

No offence meant.

Nigel.

None taken Nigel....And there are many factors that will ultimately  lead to the demise of Flash of that I have no doubt....

1. WGT will keep it available but like you said more than likely stop maintaining it...
    2. Windows and Mac itself will eventually stop allowing Flash to work on their operating systems regardless whether a particular browser still has it available ...(Although not right away on the death day date of 12/31/20                                                                                                                                                       My point was only .....that if you have some back up browsers like myself set up....Lesser known or more obscure in my case...That when you wake up that morning of the first day of 2021.... all may not be lost just yet on our beloved Flash "Real" golf version lol                                                                                                                                    JD

RSS