Help › Forums

Oakmont - Unfair placement of players

rated by 0 users
Sat, Sep 28 2019 3:19 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • opusx69
    30 Posts
    Fri, Sep 27 2019 6:10 AM

The person leading the Legend division of the VT Oakmont Championship doesn't belong in the Legend division.  He has won the last 4 Virtual Tour titles and is about to win his 5th in a row.  He's a tremendous wgt golfer and I congratulate him.  However, he does not belong in Legend.  An argument can be made he belongs in Tour Champ.  His score after 2 rounds currently places him in second place in Tour Champ.  How many times does he get to win in Legend before he moves up?  It isn't fun for those of us in Legend.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Sep 27 2019 7:37 AM

He's already been promoted to Tour Legend.  Any tournament that he started when he was a Legend will still be played against other legends.

Once that tourney is over, you'll only have to worry about the 11 other people ahead of you.

• MGB01
    1,469 Posts
    Fri, Sep 27 2019 9:14 AM
    i understand your problem.....its a pity wgt cannot promote more players to a higher tier if they are too good for thier tier......i thought i heard that they have promoted players in the past for playing really good but i may be wrong.......( someone will put me right on this im sure) ?
  • carlosdev
    2,528 Posts
    Fri, Sep 27 2019 9:39 AM

As everyone is aware of the fact that Tour Champion is now in action and it will take more ranked rounds to tier up.

Everyone do not have the fun element of luxury to play ranked rounds just to tier up. 

Having said that, when a Legend or the other lower tiers play some A+ games (especially Alt n MP) it will lead to a name calling title called "sandbagger" and it is very unfortunate. You cannot expect everyone to play crazy ranked rounds n tier up.

The only way to curb this scenario is to take ranked rounds out of action for tiering up which I doubt will happen as it is the current criteria. In a way, no lower tier player should be crucified for their winning against a higher tier. End of the day, you always have the option to not to play against a lower tier.

Regarding VT, Tier upgradation wont influence unless that tournament is concluded. 

- Carl 

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Sep 27 2019 10:35 AM

I don't think the person being talked about is a 'bagger, but very very good after 18 months playing. As said he's a TL now and won the multi round at that level by six strokes.

He seems to play just the high stakes rg's, VT, tiered monthlies and multiround.  This year he's made more credits on the VT than Mags. A rising star, or maybe more a comet :-/ 

• opusx69
    30 Posts
    Fri, Sep 27 2019 2:16 PM

DodgyPutter:

I don't think the person being talked about is a 'bagger, but very very good after 18 months playing. As said he's a TL now and won the multi round at that level by six strokes.

He seems to play just the high stakes rg's, VT, tiered monthlies and multiround.  This year he's made more credits on the VT than Mags. A rising star, or maybe more a comet :-/ 

His avg. score is lower than yours Dodgy.  He is going to tear up the other tiers too before landing in his rightful tier - Tour Champ

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Sep 27 2019 3:48 PM

There was a guy who is one of the better players here, he was a legend before I was, and was still a legend for years after I was a Champion tier player...

People complained about him all the time, he even laughed about it, BUT he didn't break any rules so there was nothing done about it until one day he was suddenly a Champion I think...LOL

You might just be lucky comparatively ....

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Fri, Sep 27 2019 7:56 PM

There is a huge range of skills at this, and other, tiers and it just takes time and ranked rounds to tier up.  Legend is a huge parking lot and the terminal tier for many, since it is so hard to tier up.

Winning tournaments and winning against higher tiers can help some, but I think that really only applies when you are getting somewhat close to tiering up anyway.  I know I was surprised twice by tiering up to Master and then Tour Master before I reached the specified (understood) average required.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Sep 28 2019 1:19 AM

opusx69:

DodgyPutter:

His avg. score is lower than yours Dodgy.  He is going to tear up the other tiers too before landing in his rightful tier - Tour Champ

Generally I wouldn't go by averages but you are absolutely right, add the fact mine is well saturated (and not an indication of what I'm likely to score) and his isn't.  He is way better than me and is undoubtably a TC.  His score in the VT and the multi round put him up with FMagnets, and with 18 months playing.

I was just saying he isn't sandbagging, I wasn't saying he wasn't anything else.  Sorry about the multiple negatives :-)

• Yiannis1970
    3,270 Posts
    Sat, Sep 28 2019 2:47 AM

MGB01:
    i understand your problem.....its a pity wgt cannot promote more players to a higher tier if they are too good for thier tier......i thought i heard that they have promoted players in the past for playing really good but i may be wrong.......( someone will put me right on this im sure) ?

Hello Mickey. Yes, you can be promoted to the next tier without having the necessary amount of rounds needed. For instance, you can play mps and beat players of higher tier or having great scores and winning the monthly tournaments (the one with payment only for the first three). Iam not quite 100% certain but the above goes only for players below legend tier. Since you are at legend tier, you can advance only by using the known ways (via stroke game rounds).

• PAGES
RSS