Help › Forums

What are some beginner golf tips?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 4 2019 7:46 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Steven9413
    3 Posts
    Thu, Sep 12 2019 2:26 AM

There are plenty of good beginner golf tips already posted here, but I wanted to give you a tip that really helped me when I was starting out in golf.

I started on the driving range (as most beginners do before trying to play on an actual golf course) and could never get the ball to go straight with my driver. I had received golf swing lessons and advice from golfers of various levels about how I ‘should’ swing the club.

I spent so much time focusing on trying to swing the golf club correctly that I wasn’t focusing on what the real goal of the golf swing is. Finally, an older gentleman golfer with many years of teaching experience asked me what I was trying to do? I told him I was trying to hit the ball straight.

He then asked me how I planned on doing that. I started explaining what I was doing through my golf swing. He stopped me mid-sentence and said, “How do you plan on hitting the ball straight?” I started describing my swing again.

He stopped me again and asked me, “What the goal of my swing was?” I told him to hit the ball straight. He said, “No! That is the result of a successful swing. But the goal of the golf swing is the have the clubface contacts the ball squarely. That’s it.” He told me that my swing didn’t matter as long as the result of my swing was to have the golf clubface contact the ball squarely.

At that point, I stopped focusing on the various parts of my swing and just tried to “hit the golf ball as squarely and cleanly as possible.”

This advice helped my game a lot. 

I hope it will be really helpful for Thine.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Thu, Sep 12 2019 8:51 PM

I like it, but don't just take my word for it.  Just ask Jim Furyk  :)

Image result for jim furyk golf swing

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,465 Posts
    Thu, Sep 12 2019 10:05 PM

hpurey:

I like it, but don't just take my word for it.  Just ask Jim Furyk  :)

or Mr. Moe Norman.

I know... unfortunately you can't any more.

• Nicole161106
    281 Posts
    Fri, Sep 13 2019 5:22 AM

So, WGT don't have the time to fix the display issue, amongst others, but can introduce their version of Siri and Cortana?

I wonder how many of these "Stevens" etc. (with no playing history or country flag) there are? And do they all count as part of the "millions" of players, mmm...?

Oh, and it's de rigueur to give credit to the original poster when cutting and pasting from elsewhere, otherwise people may think it is your own quote, just saying.

Edited to add- Display issue now fixed, well done, give the staff a byte to eat now. :))

• borntobesting
    9,601 Posts
    Sat, Sep 14 2019 6:53 PM
    Another good example of the swing is not the thing Is Miller Barber. 

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Mon, Sep 16 2019 5:56 AM

Lee Trevino as well.

• DoctorLarry
    4,274 Posts
    Mon, Sep 16 2019 4:27 PM

LOL.

A lot of replies to a Level 1, Hack, Zero stat, bot!!!

=|;-0

• JDGHOST
    6,743 Posts
    Tue, Sep 17 2019 6:20 AM

DoctorLarry:

LOL.

A lot of replies to a Level 1, Hack, Zero stat, bot!!!

=|;-0

AGREED!!

• craigswan
    30,805 Posts
    Tue, Sep 17 2019 7:36 AM

Do not argue with the wild life .

• craigswan
    30,805 Posts
    Tue, Sep 17 2019 7:37 AM

• PAGES
RSS