Forums

Help › Forums

Forum Suggestions =)

Sat, Oct 31 2009 8:10 PM (6 replies)
  • Moidebe
    7 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 5:22 PM

Couple of small suggestions for the forums.

Make the e-mail me replies to this post checkbox unchecked by defualt (will cut down on the bandwidth you are sending out)

And provide a preview button by the post button so the post can be checked  that it is going to look right in the post window before it is posted.

Oh and add Smileys =P

That is all continue hacking =)

• Moidebe
    7 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 5:43 PM

Also by the replies at teh top of the page put a views column so people know if there post is even getting looked at =)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 6:57 PM

Moidebe:
    Make the e-mail me replies to this post checkbox unchecked by defualt

I disagree. Every forum user may wish to have a different default. The correct way to do it is to make a global switch available, while the check-box for individual posts could override that default.

So, you would set your default to no-email, and could override it for individual posts by checking the box. And I could set my default to email, and could override it for individual posts by unchecking the box.    It does work this way in phpBB.

Moidebe:
    And provide a preview button by the post button

This is already available since the last product update. It's not a button, but a Preview tab above your compose window. The other 2 tabs, Options and Related, are highly interesting and useful as well. Many a duplicate forum post could be avoided if folks clicked the Related tab to find out that what they are about to send to the forums has already been expressed ten thousand times before them, and better, by other forum posters.  

PS: Agree about the smileys & view counts.

• Moidebe
    7 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 7:12 PM

Ok maybe I need to explore a little more before I open my big mouth =)

just used to the buttons being in diffrent placces o_O

But on the e-mail (and this is just from my experience) 90% do not want spam and will check the forums for replies but if they want an e-mail then check it.

But to each his own I say.

Have a nice day =)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 7:31 PM

Forum notifications definitely aren't spam and before you joined this site, this functionality was in fact broken for many months, and was only fixed a couple of weeks ago. It feels more like an occasion to celebrate that the functionality is at long last available, rather than bemoan it.    I agree, though, that the global forum notifications switch should be made available. In the meantime, you should be able to unsubscribe from all notifications on a forum-by-forum basis. On each subforum's webpage, you may click on Sorting and Filtering at the top of the page and choose Never in the dropdown box for Send Email.

• Moidebe
    7 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 7:48 PM

Sorry wrong choice of words when I said spam I just ment a lot of e-mails everytime someone replied to your post.

All I am trying to say is everytime you make a post or reply to a post the box is checked by default so everytime you post or reply to a post you have to uncheck it.

Should be the other way around unchecked by default and if you want an e-mail then check it.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 8:10 PM

Moidebe:
    Should be the other way around unchecked by default and if you want an e-mail then check it.

Hehe, we're back to square 1.    I disagree with that. Just because you'd like to see it unchecked by default, doesn't mean it should be that way. Some folks might prefer this, and other folks might prefer that.

This is Beta software and it's in the developers' interest to receive as much user feedback as possible. These forums are an important tool for that. Forum email notifications definitely contribute to increasing user participation in these forums. Therefore, I'm not surprised the checkbox is activated by default.

However, I'd try the procedure described above, via the Sorting and Filtering options. Try setting it to receive email, save that preference, then reset it to Never Send Email, and save the preference again. It's quite possible that this setting might override the checkbox for individual forum posts, even if this were activated by default! As I mentioned, this functionality was only introduced a couple of weeks ago, so you might be one of the first WGT members to test this thoroughly, Moidebe. Good luck!  

RSS