Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • MrQueez
    559 Posts
    Sun, May 29 2016 11:30 PM

Jimbog1964:
    For me that little L70 Versa beats the lot.  It takes my RL thinking great and good enough.  It's also good enough for an excellent player to win 1000 credit RGs with, and anyone up against him always knows he is there.  Basically past a point go with what putter you like and learn it inside out, and it won't necessarily  be the "best".

Yeah the L70 was the 1st putter I bought.  It is the 1 piece of equipment that will never change.  I am a ding putter and use good speed on my putts.  It's not uncommon to have a 3-4ft return putt if miss the 1st one.  As Jim said go with the putter you like and learn it inside and out.  

• StephanieCA
    258 Posts
    Mon, May 30 2016 7:08 AM

MrQueez:

Jimbog1964:
    For me that little L70 Versa beats the lot.  It takes my RL thinking great and good enough.  It's also good enough for an excellent player to win 1000 credit RGs with, and anyone up against him always knows he is there.  Basically past a point go with what putter you like and learn it inside out, and it won't necessarily  be the "best".

Yeah the L70 was the 1st putter I bought.  It is the 1 piece of equipment that will never change.  I am a ding putter and use good speed on my putts.  It's not uncommon to have a 3-4ft return putt if miss the 1st one.  As Jim said go with the putter you like and learn it inside and out.  

I totally agree Mr Q. Putts as IRL should end up just a bit past the hole if missed. Now that distance should be what the individual is comfortable with but 18 to 36 inches should be fine. I too am (well try to be) a "ding" putter. I can't imagine assuming I'm going to miss and then allowing for the difference in break. Great if some have figured that out but that seems like an added layer of complexity that I'm not ready for. BTW, if someone is always putting and focusing on hitting the meter at some point that is just off "ding" and their timing is good enough to hit it, often, then couldn't they just focus on hitting "the ding"? Just curious but of course everyone should play however they are comfortable :)

Steph

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, May 30 2016 7:29 AM

StephanieCA:

I can't imagine assuming I'm going to miss and then allowing for the difference in break. Great if some have figured that out but that seems like an added layer of complexity that I'm not ready for.

Steph

[emphasis mine]

I think this is why a putt that drops using off ding is more involved w/ the game than one that is dinged.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, May 30 2016 8:14 AM

StephanieCA:

I totally agree Mr Q. Putts as IRL should end up just a bit past the hole if missed. Now that distance should be what the individual is comfortable with but 18 to 36 inches should be fine. I too am (well try to be) a "ding" putter. I can't imagine assuming I'm going to miss and then allowing for the difference in break. Great if some have figured that out but that seems like an added layer of complexity that I'm not ready for. BTW, if someone is always putting and focusing on hitting the meter at some point that is just off "ding" and their timing is good enough to hit it, often, then couldn't they just focus on hitting "the ding"? Just curious but of course everyone should play however they are comfortable :)

Steph

There are three ways (basically) to putt here line wise:

1. Hardly ever move the aim marker, save some severe once in a while extreme break.

If you look at how balance /precision works it seems to go against this being preferred, but some do OK.  Can't recommend it to any one struggling, but it's out there.

2. Mostly move the aim marker, but miss a little to help hold a line oftentimes.  It works real well for many players.

3. Ding only.  Simplest and has to be effective, and works also for many.  The one I would say to go with for anyone who is struggling / starting out, and some stick with it all the way through v effectively.  

Speed:

1. There are basic calcs out there for each speed.  The best putters will adjust to any nuances (tiny differences) that may be thrown in day to day speed wise.

2.  Avatar moves or Putter Pal (post it note etc works fine too).  Notching back with Avatar moves seems odd to me, and few times I ever used it never that accurate if exploiting various  meter scales. IRL I draw back a certain distance various length and use that as my base, and here putter [al seems to get that feel more than notching with Avatar Moves.  Make your own mind up with what suits you after trying both at some point.

3. Balance.  This is often overlooked.  The better the rating the deeper you can go scale wise, and still get good distance control.  Basically get to know your putter, but the "best" may not necessarily be the best for you.

Yes play how you are comfortable with.  Getting bogged down with someone else's style may not be best for you.  Basics to start with are never bad though.  Chopping and changing putters with the weather is also self-defeating.  Try a few out, commit and learn it as it will need to be a long time partner if you are too succeed with it.

The WGT stats are not much chop and so be real careful interpreting those.  In the extreme one look at the Champion Tier top 10 averages is a list of mostly red tee wonders who really may not be very good.  Plenty of low average red tee wonders who look real poor on "real" courses / conditions that's for sure.

EDIT: Just by way of bringing out some putters lend to one style or other...research is part of the buying process basically.  If in doubt at L70 I would not look past the L70 Versa any which way.

• StephanieCA
    258 Posts
    Mon, May 30 2016 8:23 AM

Nice summary and great info, Jim.

Steph

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, May 30 2016 9:13 AM

Here's what I believe to be intresting logic on the miss-ding, which may apply to putting also, i,e, on a heavy slope.

From Champ hackman:

hakman123:

As you move away from the DING, the distance penalty becomes less and less for the same offset.

This means if you are aiming off-DING, a small miss will make less difference to your distance than the same small miss aiming at the DING.

So off-DING is safer for distance, and assuming you shape your shot with the wind, hitting Off-DING upwind, you are less likely to get that double-whammy of missing the DING to the downwind side and seeing the ball disappear off the mini-map.

So you definitely don't need to be trying to hit the DING all the time. It's only really useful into a direct headwind. A direct tailwind will straighten up a slight miss anyway!

It's all about personal preferences - but playing off-DING can make life a lot easier.

The Hakman

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/319641/2261851.aspx#2261851

and as I've noted sometimes the downside of the ding is that's where opposing forces change suddenly so a miss of that very small opportunity may yield counter-productive results.

(see 'double-whammy' comment above by hakman123)

• rollinbus1
    110 Posts
    Mon, Jun 6 2016 11:55 AM

guess this might be good advice if you use a mouse .. i play on laptop using a pad 

still my putting distance usually very good

worse thing i find is when you change to different lappy than your used too 

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Mon, Jun 6 2016 1:30 PM

The difference between a good player on WGT and a great one is of course, putting stats. Good players make birdies/eagles getting it pretty close and making the putt. Great players get it in the hole from almost anywhere on the green, when they have to because VEM will not allow consistent 'makeable' distance approaches. The best players also "miss" on the correct side on approach and go past the hole if the putt misses. (never up, never in)

Let's face it tourneys and multi-player are rarely won because someone sticks the landing, hole after hole. They win because - like Tiger back in the day- they "will it in the hole". Even he had days, however, he couldn't buy one. 

I agree it is both art and science, putting well consistently. Science is -see topic above- distance control. Art is "seeing the line" whether you ding/off ding/ or both. Experience, "feel" and "getting the approach below the hole" all play a huge part. I would prefer a 15 footer directly below the hole in most instances, than a 3.5 footer sidehill/downhill on Pebble, Merion or Oly, for instance.

Even a very good putter has days they all go in and days ya miss everything. Like getting to Carnegie Hall, practice...

• ParFortyseven
    60 Posts
    Mon, Jun 6 2016 10:44 PM

Here is a thought and it helps me from time to time:  When the ball rolls past (near) the hole on an approach or a putt, hit "replay last shot" and watch the ball roll by the hole;  it leaves a track behind it and one can see the break (if any) in graphic display.  It helps calculate the break coming back.  All bets are off on Kiawah Island, though, sometimes I swear the dots are going eight different directions at once on some of those greens! :O)

BTW, what is "VEM?"

Regards,

P-47

RSS