Forums

Help › Forums

Shots Jumping Off Line

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 2 2009 8:18 AM (6 replies)
  • TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Thu, Oct 1 2009 8:52 AM

I have noticed a number of times and it seems to occur mainly with long irons, and woods that often a ball just jumps off your club face offline.  I have had this happen a number of times, although it seems that it tends to happen on the same holes more often.  For example hitting a long iron from 170 yards out, wind slightly to the left on #6 at Kiawah, I have had it jump right on me and miss the green several times even when the shot is hit excellent.  This also happens on the back nine at Kiawah on #14, the par 3 that you turn on.  Anyone else have this issue.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Thu, Oct 1 2009 10:57 AM

All the time. It`s called the "BEAST". One of the biggest creators of "disgruntled posts" on this site. Hopefully WGT will  re-program this with a little more subtlety sometime soon!

• MJBboyrox
    31 Posts
    Thu, Oct 1 2009 6:04 PM

I have this to but i know why. I have starter irons which have bad percission causing the BEAST

• danny66
    25 Posts
    Thu, Oct 1 2009 7:57 PM

I was just playing the back nine, birdies on first two holes, missed birdies on next two..came up on this par 3 with wind straight in my face...hit it perfectly on the line...it completely missed the green to the right and down the hill...this is what frustrates me more than anything about the inconsistencies...almost seems planned at times...oh well...all part of it I suppose.

• jeff26
    97 Posts
    Thu, Oct 1 2009 8:51 PM

the beast pisses me off :)

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Fri, Oct 2 2009 7:51 AM

Thanks for the replies.  Is this more of an issue with the starter clubs or does it happen with the advanced sets as well?  I have a Rapture Driver and 3 Wood but starters in all other clubs.  It seems to be an issue with the longer irons, although I have noticed it a few times at #3 Kiawah hitting a PW, ball just jumps to the right after a perfect hit.

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Fri, Oct 2 2009 8:18 AM

It's interesting that this actually has a name.  Funny though, years ago I had this issue with my clubs.  I was a long time Titleist Tour Blade player, switched to a Titleist cast iron in my mid 30's and then to a BIg Bertha Callaway.  After playing these for a few years, I bought a set of Ping Eye II's and enjoyed playing with them but found that the irons had a super sweet spot in them.  Every iron seemed to have it, you would hit it there and it would jump 15 yards.  You would strike an 8 iron from 140 yards perfectly and it would fly to the back of the green.  Talked to my pro and he said this was something that many of the cast clubs had.  Went back to Callaway and never left them, haven't had this issue with my real clubs since.  It is frustrating to strike a perfect shot on here or in real life and watch it move 10 yards right, left, long or short.

RSS