Forums

Help › Forums

Top Irons : Callaway L97 or L100

Mon, Feb 15 2021 1:46 PM (73 replies)
  • lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2018 12:46 PM

JohanTV:

Ok, this thread started with the Callaways L97 and L100 when they were Steelhead an Apex.

Now the Rogues and Rogue Pro are their replacements and available for some time and people can share opinions.

Are the Rogues really better?

Is the L100 Rogue Pro with slower meter (4.0) now comparable with the meterspeed of the steelheads (4.2) ?  Otherwise, should I replace my Steelheads with Rogue pro...

thanks

Johan

All you will be mainly getting is a .2 slower meter . So you can keep chasing the get the  better club rabbit or be satisfied with what you have . If you have the credits then go for it  but now its only eye candy . If you play well with what you have then what are you looking for ? Only you can answer that question .

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2018 12:58 PM

I am looking for the best setup with reasonable meterspeed. My game has improved a lot and hoping even better clubs can facilitate the next step. The clubs are different in specs so I don’t think it’s just eye candy.

No I don’t have the credits to spend but willing to save up If it is worth. Just hope someone who played steelheads and changed to Rogue pro’s will give their opinion.

If there was a free rental weekend nearby, I would have not asked and just tried them myself.

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2018 1:01 PM

I have both, the L97 Callaway, and the L100+ Rogue pro. I like the Rogue, but I don’t get consistent yardage like the Callaway, most would disagree with me though. I’m currently using the Callaway, but I practice with the Rogue once in a while, hoping I can get them dialed in.

I know for sure, you can’t go wrong with the L97 Callaway.

• pmm711
    5,516 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2018 3:05 PM

I got the Level 100+ Rogue Irons within the last 3 weeks and my average has dropped almost 2 strokes.  I had been hitting the Nike Vapors Level 95+ prior.  I'm seeing a major difference vs. the Nikes but never played the L97 Callies to truly be able to answer your Q. The Nikes have better stats than those Level 97 Callies though with the exception of meter speed...see the comparison...

So, I'm definitely a believer in the Callie L100+ Rogues...and I hit the free rocks.

• lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2018 5:34 PM

The L95 Nikes were the L100 Nikes before WGT lowered the levels . Thats why the specs are better . You`re comparing L100 nike clubs to the L95 Rogues which are 2 entirely different sets . Since the nike phase out WGT has been for the most part been using the same nike specs with small tweak adjustments .

The same holds true for the L97 irons also both are just graphic changes with small tweaks and minimum adjustments . Mainly just a slightly slower meter .

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Wed, Oct 17 2018 12:02 PM

The comparison is the Callaway L100 Rogue Pro and the L97 Steelhead XR.

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Wed, Oct 17 2018 12:22 PM

Hi,

Had them both & i'm hitting the L 100 Rogue Pro's mainly because of the extra forgiveness, Meter on paper Is a little quicker but It's only negligible & after a few rounds you wont even notice It. A 4 meter Is plenty slow enough, Still plenty of people rocking old Irons with a 3.5 meter.

PS whereas the meter with the L 99 Rogue 3 Wd Is so much slower than Indicated on paper

Ken

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Wed, Oct 17 2018 12:59 PM

Thanks Ken,

I am playing with Tour SD balls without any meter compensation, basically hitting standard balls. So meter speed is important to me. Good to hear the forgiveness is better as that could compensate for the .2 meterspeed difference.

Is the precision also better? I heard that especially the PW is better than the L97?

Indeed the Rogue wood is easier to ding as the Fusion wood (although I still find it hard to ding perfectly, probably due to the balls I use 🙂 ).

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Thu, Oct 18 2018 8:15 AM

Hi Johan,

Re the precision I'm not sure If we're seeing much If any difference but anecdotally I'm seeing a difference when I miss the ding with the wind.

With previous Iron's I'd say "well that's gone with the wind/That's a goner" but now I'm pleasantly surprised by how little It drifts off line.

I could be wrong but I think (Open to correction) that's more the Forgiveness factor kicking In

PS I'm not talking Flop Line miss-dings but 1 - 2 pixels from the ding In moderate winds

Ken

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Thu, Oct 18 2018 11:01 AM

Wow, a fellow CC member of the Old Duffers Retreat probably read this post and gifted me the Irons. Amazing someone just gifts it as I should have watched thousends of videos before I could have purchased them. Very, very happy this happend 😀

Just played some rounds with the Rogue pro’s and the meter is indeed a little quicker as the L97 steelheads. So I have to focus a little more (already had some big (flopding) missdings). I also had some good results already so I think the meter is manageable.

I will report back when I have played with them some time.

Thank you all for your responses

Johan

RSS