Help › Forums

Stats: Driving Accuracy

rated by 0 users
Wed, May 19 2010 6:24 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Wed, Sep 23 2009 9:34 AM

I just played 4 holes on the front nine at Kiawah just to test the three wood issue.  I hit all 4 fairways and it showed that on my scorecard.  On the 4th hole I hit a 3 wood off the tee in the fairway.  The scorecard showed 4 fairways hit but the driver stats showed 75% or 3 of 4 so obviously if you hit anything other than a driver on a par 4 or 5 you will not get a fairway in regulation.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Wed, Sep 23 2009 10:26 AM

I haven't notice taking a 3W off the tee on Kiawah Island affects your driving stats, of course I haven't used a 3W off the tee there.

Note Kiawah Island is not the problem, it is BethPage Black.  Please read my previous post carefully.  It indicates the driving accuracy is based Kiawah Island.  I just finished a round this morning at BethPage Black.  Every fairway hit in regulation, with an overall driving average of 86%.  Now, looking at the symmetry of both courses, the only difference would be on the front nine. A par 3 on the third hole versus a versus a par 4 and a par 4 on the fifth hole versus a par 3.  Thus, 14/16=87.5%.  Now, I did use a 3W on the 4th hole, but it showed up as a fairway hit on the scorecard.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Wed, Sep 23 2009 2:37 PM

Hi infinito, par 3s are not factored into driving accuracy calculations.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Wed, Sep 23 2009 3:21 PM

Thanks for your reply Alex.  I could post my scorecard from BethPage Black this am to show that all the fairways were hit off the tee.   Since the par's are not factored in the calculation, this leaves 14 holes remaining.  Considering my previous post, this would be 12/14=85.71% driving accuracy. Which is exactly what I obtained in that round. 

• JeffGooch
    263 Posts
    Wed, Sep 23 2009 7:30 PM

agreeing with UNC

Driving stats are only calculated with your DRIVER for some reason

3W off the TEE will not register as a drive period.  Very Strange.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 10:53 AM

Ok, thanks. We will look into this issue. Thanks for the reports.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 10:58 AM

Your welcome WGTAlex.

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Mon, Dec 21 2009 11:36 AM

If you look at any of the PGA tour sites you will see this and it is always quoted as putts per GIR (Green in Regulation), I think you can search the PGA and see the stats calculation.  They also count fairways in regulation with no regard to what club you hit off the tee.  Driving distance is measured on two holes during the first two days of the tournament that run in opposite directions so that the wind is factored into it.

• cjfelton
    79 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2010 3:57 PM

I'm reviving this thread because I just experienced this today on Kiawah.  All fairways hit, and the scorecard indicates so.  The stats for the round indicate however that my driving accuracy was 93%, which is 13 out of 14.  I did tee off on #4 with my 3W due to 21 mph tailwind, because that shot is a lost ball with the driver and that much wind.  I've posted the scorecard below and the stats page.  The same thing happened to me yesterday on St. Andrews - 5 of 7 fairways hit, and a 37% accuracy.  I did tee off a couple of times with 3W in that round, and was not aware that might affect stats.  But if the scorecard says 14 out of 14, it has to be 100%, right?  I'm not a big stats guy, but that number does reflect progress in this game, and a driven ball in the fairway is a fairway hit in my book.  It doesn't make sense to penalize a player for smart play.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2010 6:24 PM

I have always been focused upon hitting fairways. I learned early on that using anything but driver will cheat your stats.

• PAGES
RSS