Equipment Advice & Priorities

rated by 0 users
Sun, May 28 2017 10:44 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Tue, May 23 2017 8:52 PM

Aggelos777:

Great feedback guys! Highly appreciated...

So 3 wedge it is...The hybrid will rest in a dark corner in my garage for next generations to discover...:)

I'm torn between the irons though...Since i can get the TaylorMade M2 Iron Set (Steel) (L68+) in the next 4-5 days (i'm level 65 now) with a discount at 2.000 credits, i was wondering if that 400 credit lower price compared to the lvl 59 Pings, the somewhat better forgiveness (3.0 vs 2.5) and the biggest range of the Taylor's (105 vs 90) compensate the medium trajectory issue.

Is the 3.0 spin enough to stop those free balls after a medium trajectory?

Cheers

Aggelos

Sell the Hybrid back if you end up buying a full set of clubs.  

2 points.  

First, the consensus is the Ping forgiveness is better than shown.  They also are the first set available with high trajectory.  

Second, the 3.0 spin on both iron sets will not stop the starter ball very well especially as far as the middle and long irons go.  The higher trajectory of the Pings will help more.  Different balls will also have different apex heights.  See below.

I did a quick test using The PW from my Nike L92 iron set, the PW from the WGT starter set and a few different balls.  All shots were at 97% power and zero spin.  Low wind @ Kiawah #12 from the easy tees to have second shots within PW range.  You reach a particular hole by going to the WGT Community Tab, and clicking on Golf Courses, then clicking on a course (like Kiawah) and then selecting a single hole.  Default is low wind, easy tees and standard green speeds.

Nike PW (rated 120 yds)                  Starter PW (rated 90 yards)

Ball                         Apex                      Ball                           Apex

Starter                     87 ft                        Starter                        58 ft

WGT G13-S           88 ft                         WGT G13-S              57 ft

Nike Red (L40)     93 ft                          Nike Red (L40)        58 ft

Ironically the starter irons are listed as high trajectory, but it's clearly not the same thing.  I suggest you  wait until you reach L68 and try the M2 irons on the 2 hour rental free and see what kind of results you get and how you like them.

Good luck,

phred952

• Aggelos777
    9 Posts
    Wed, May 24 2017 2:47 AM

" I suggest you  wait until you reach L68 and try the M2 irons on the 2 hour rental free and see what kind of results you get and how you like them."

Will do that...

Again. thanks for your time...

Cheers

Aggelos

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Wed, May 24 2017 3:16 PM

I'm glad to help out.  Good Luck.

phred952

• bypass07
    1,360 Posts
    Wed, May 24 2017 4:07 PM

It's already been said, loose the hybrid and go with 3 wedges.

Your choice of clubs is yours. I used the R11's until legend not to say they are the best.

A hybrid is a waste of money 3 wedges will reduce your score by getting you closer.

P.S. don't leave your putts short. A putt 3' too long has a better chance of going in than one 2" too short.

Just an opinion.

• callaghan159
    6,224 Posts
    Thu, May 25 2017 5:27 AM

bypass07:
    P.S. don't leave your putts short. A putt 3' too long has a better chance of going in than one 2" too short.

Never up Never in.

• mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Thu, May 25 2017 7:35 AM

YankeeJim:

Aggelos777:
    As i currently plan to stick to the "traditional" format of 2 and not 3 wedges

I think this is a big mistake. Phred pointed out why and I'll take it a step further-4 wedges! That might seem a little outlandish but I speak from experience. I never had a 3W (besides the free one) until I made Legend. Driver, 220 yard iron set and 4 wedges.

The tees are so close you don't need more than a decent driver and carrying 4 wedges gives you great experience for when you make Legend and have to rethink the bag. Those 4 wedges result in 20 different yardages when you factor in learning all of the shots with them. All of a sudden your short game is strong, the distance to pin shrinks and your average goes with it.

This isn't for everybody but it was the most fun I've had since I started this game-getting to the back tees- and it paid serious dividends.  :-)

+1.  Ditch the hybrid & pick up a 4th wedge.  YJ is 100% correct.

• bypass07
    1,360 Posts
    Sun, May 28 2017 10:44 PM

callaghan159:

bypass07:

Never up Never in.

You'll never hear that with a putt 3' too long.

• PAGES
RSS