Forums

Help › Forums

“unlimited play” tournaments

Mon, Jul 10 2017 2:50 PM (37 replies)
  • Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sun, Jul 9 2017 5:01 AM

Ok, all good points, and I obliviously said that I wasn't sure about his ideas.  Firstly, he didn't say advance too soon. He just said advancement was a minus!  Which I stand by what I said, it's never a minus to get better and move up. As far as the topic at hand goes, I learn and play more intensely in competition than practice, if a plan a shot that doesn't work out, I'll remember it because it cost me, whereas in practice just try again and again, no real penalty, may not remember it as vividly, or not at all!    If your told repeatedly not to hit your thumb with a hammer, you may or may not care, or think about it, until you smack it once. It's a surety that you will then remember what you were warned about, and not do it again. 

My comment about Annika, wasn't meant to take anything from her talents, but how she was showed what the " manly" tour was all about!  She was showed the door back in 2003, in Texas, when she thought the same about being able to show the guys something. When the pros win a tourney, it really isn't about who played the best, ( I'm not saying that they aren't excellent players) but they all are fantastic players,but it's more about who got a couple of lucky breaks, and who didn't. There's no doubt that their talents are all pretty much equal. 

This is a game, and no doubt, that everyone on here has a goal, or aspiration as to what they want to achieve.  All I hear everyone saying  is most of all have fun, enjoy the ride, etc"  so what if somebody plays a few red tees, in their cc tourneys, or chooses to take 7 years to get to where they are, by doing it the hard way. They are getting what they want from this game.  It's the path that they chose, and as long as they are having fun, so be it. If alot of the better champions, legends or what ever,  play against a red tee champ, you should have no problem beating them, what's the big deal? Personally, I play alittle of everything, cuz I'm having fun, spending my money and time enjoying the ride. I'm very active in my cc, and love helping my teammates. 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Jul 9 2017 6:48 AM

Luckystar5:
    If alot of the better champions, legends or what ever,  play against a red tee champ, you should have no problem beating them, what's the big deal?

No issues with red tee chits and giggles...I banged around one in my CC not long ago with a beer ball.  Bit of fun and for wedge play actually useful for harder things often enough. Would be boring as crap doing it too often with HL gear, IMO, but has it's place.  Rest of your post (WGT bit as never played the other) I fully agree with too....

And of course aspirations vary, and all well and good for a leisure time fun game.  

All I would say extra is that if, unlikely I know, the new T Champ tier ever happens it is used to denote who can actually play.  I also hope it resets averages and allows only those from real WGT wide comps in with penalties for forfeits and perhaps resets per season (whatever that season is).........Others may say who cares, but I would like to see the company think about that for those that do want to challenge themselves at real course play........High level ideas but get the drift and just my view of what else might be nice.

• 100plus
    801 Posts
    Sun, Jul 9 2017 8:39 AM

In my opinion I think that the unlimited play option is a great learning format.Take for example any course you do not play often say Pinehurst,if your average score is around low 60,s but you find that it is only a few holes you bogey or only make par on an easy birdie hole that bring you back to the low60,s score.The next time I play I will try a different way to play approach shot,use a punch instead of a % of full shot,vary where you want to end up,ie: rite of hole ,below hole and left etc.Once you figure these ""few holes "" out your low 60,s will be in the high 50,s and you will start enjoying the game again.

Just my perspective on this topic.

Trev

• Lutjanid
    697 Posts
    Sun, Jul 9 2017 8:26 PM

What's with this "putting"?. Common WGT get serious. why make me putt? Please take this out of the game ASAP. Oh and the driving and irons shots as well. And whilst your at it the chipping, pitching, Flopping etc as well.

:-)

• mohaviegreen
    404 Posts
    Sun, Jul 9 2017 10:57 PM

I personally like the unlimited tournaments. I've never one one or even placed I don't believe, but I do enjoy playing. I'm not a great player here, it's taken me 9-10 years to get where I am, and that's not everyday play. Still have a ways to go, but I don't mind giving an unlimited tournament a shot. I've played all types of tourney's here and not done well. I enjoy it though. Just here to have some fun. Can't understand how some people here *** about a GAME. Just come on, play what you like, and leave. Easy and no drama. I've also met a lot of great people on here. Some are friends for life. So, happy golfing guy's and gal's and don't be so serious about a GAME......................mo.....

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sun, Jul 9 2017 11:10 PM

+1 Great post, more folks should have this guy's attitude.

mohaviegreen:

I personally like the unlimited tournaments. I've never one one or even placed I don't believe, but I do enjoy playing. I'm not a great player here, it's taken me 9-10 years to get where I am, and that's not everyday play. Still have a ways to go, but I don't mind giving an unlimited tournament a shot. I've played all types of tourney's here and not done well. I enjoy it though. Just here to have some fun. Can't understand how some people here *** about a GAME. Just come on, play what you like, and leave. Easy and no drama. I've also met a lot of great people on here. Some are friends for life. So, happy golfing guy's and gal's and don't be so serious about a GAME......................mo.....

• PSUTOM
    188 Posts
    Mon, Jul 10 2017 4:19 AM

A lot of good replies here, so I'll interject my two cents. I personally prefer single play over unlimited, that's why I play mostly Brackets. It's about the competition one on one for me that I enjoy. If I played unlimited (as I have done often) I would be lucky to see my results listed, and after all isn't that a large reason we play this game? I won't knock the posts from people who like unlimited play, I just have a competitive nature. To me, this game is no different than any other in the fact that you play to win and the perks like friendship and camaraderie are things you get along the way. If all I wanted was those two things I'd join a social website.

I no doubt will ever make it to Champion because on my next birthday I'll be 80, but while I'm here I will enjoy the competition.

Cheers to all.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Jul 10 2017 2:50 PM

PSUTOM:
    I no doubt will ever make it to Champion because on my next birthday I'll be 80, but while I'm here I will enjoy the competition.

This game is far more about the friendships and challenges we set ourselves, not a title (and lets face it, WGT made a farce of titles the day red tees were introduced).

On topic, we have choice. I play some unlimited tournaments but in the same way as a single play round. I give it one shot, good or bad and move on.

Grinding out round after round and restarting is not for me.....but I have no qualms with people that do. No, I will not qualify for major tournaments, nor win weekly/monthly tournaments, But that is not why I play - I play for enjoyment and set my own goals.....and I have fun in doing so.

RSS