Help › Forums

A Question to Fellow Legends R11 Hybrid Vs.R11 3 Wood

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 3 2011 2:57 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sat, Apr 30 2011 7:52 AM

I would like to hear from legends or anyone who has tried these 2. I am debating on the extra distance or the flexibility of having the hybrid. Since I only carry a driver and another wood adding this as a third will not work because I carry 3 wedges. Cleveland 100, 80 wedges and Satin 50 yd wedge.

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Sat, Apr 30 2011 7:56 AM

I have used both clubs.

The hybrid is very good from the rough. But is a club you would like an extra 10 yards distance on from the back tee`s.

The 3w is the club I have in my bag. Long distance normally goes close to straight with a small miss hit goes higher lands soft..

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sat, Apr 30 2011 8:01 AM

I do not tend to get in the rough that much, but at times I could use it. How much does the extra distance matter from legend tee's?

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Sat, Apr 30 2011 8:08 AM

The distance is around 15 - 25 yards in low winds and is a easy club to hit.

I would buy the 3w. But different players like different things..

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Sat, Apr 30 2011 8:44 AM

SGTBilko:

I would like to hear from legends or anyone who has tried these 2. I am debating on the extra distance or the flexibility of having the hybrid. Since I only carry a driver and another wood adding this as a third will not work because I carry 3 wedges. Cleveland 100, 80 wedges and Satin 50 yd wedge.

I find the hybrid an invaluable club for certain nines e.g. kia b9. I love the stopping power I get from it on the two par3's. With no/v. low headwind, you can reach the back pin on beth 3 quite comfortably. I carry the fairway wood most of the time though.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Sat, Apr 30 2011 6:46 PM

They are both very important for their specific uses. I don't think they are a direct replacement for each other

-wgticon

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sat, Apr 30 2011 9:44 PM

I'm not a legend but I have both clubs. Both very useful but which wedge do you drop to use them both? I wish they'd change the rules of golf to allow 15 clubs. On a similar note, wouldn't it be nice if WGT changed the iron sets to include a 2 iron and remove the wedge?

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2011 11:30 AM

I carry both and use both almost every round. Since you never know wind direction before you tee off I don't switch clubs like some.

The 3w is nice as a second driver for down wind holes on STA and will still go 300 with a strong tail wind. It's perfect for #2 BP drive. It comes in extremely useful at Oak on the short par 4s and I've used it many times on #8 with a tail wind. Plus it makes 240 to 270 yrd second shots on par 5s reachable.

The hybrid is an awesome club. You can back it down to 215-220 with full bs and one avatar movement down and stick it. Or you can use no bs 100% and hit it over 230-240 easily. Unlike you, I don't keep the ball in the short stuff all the time (must be nice). So this may not matter but anything over 160+ and 40/50 rough nothing else gets used. It will also hit out of sand very nicely.

There's a couple replays in the "Why 4 Wedges" thread if you want to see the carry of the hybrid and what it can do out of the rough.

If I had to chose, thanks goodness I don't, I would chose the hybrid. Hands down.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2011 11:59 AM

DarSum:
    It's perfect for #2 BP drive.

#2 or #3? 

Do you have a method for determining choked down yardage for these clubs? I realize wind affects them, I'm just looking for an idea of how well the HB would work in place of the 3W. Your 160+ comment got my attention.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2011 12:56 PM

YankeeJim:

DarSum:
    It's perfect for #2 BP drive.

#2 or #3? 

Do you have a method for determining choked down yardage for these clubs? I realize wind affects them, I'm just looking for an idea of how well the HB would work in place of the 3W. Your 160+ comment got my attention.

#2. You don't have to worry about trying to get a big long drive on that hole. Or worry about cutting too much off and catching a limb of that oak tree on the left. Or worry about driving it through the fairway. Depending on conditions, hit this 3w slightly right of the big oak and leave anywhere from 130-145. It usually goes anywhere from 260 to 275 or so on drives.

I don't have a method for choking the 3w. I usually only hit it on drives or anything over 240, depending on wind, or on approaches with a 15mph+ wind in your face 220+. I think I've only used that club on BP #3 maybe 3 or 4 times ??. The hybrid will usually always reach unless the wind is directly in your face and it never seems to be there. That 3w will go a LONG way. With a 8mph tail wind on Kaiwah #11 I was 3 feet from the hole in an Alt shot game the other night from, I think it was about 272. And hit it will full BS just because I knew it would probably be long if I didn't.

I do use the avatar movements and bs for choking the hybrid. Assuming no wind, 230-245 no bs 100% power, 220-230 would get full bs 100% power. 210-220 full bs one avatar movement down from 100%. Of course those are just averages and all depends on which course, elevation changes, landing area room, if you need to carry or let it run, etc etc... It's just a very forgiving club, unlike my possessed 3 iron.

To be honest, after the night I had last night and the couple of rounds I've played today I'm ready to throw them all in the lake anyway.

Here's why I love the hybrid. 217 yrds 16mph head wind hit with full BS on STA 17th approach.

replay.aspx?ID=d0acd144 3d40 484f bbf7 9ed701658295

• PAGES
RSS