Forums

Help › Forums

Tee shot help please

Wed, May 4 2011 9:27 AM (4 replies)
  • eligolfer
    87 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2011 1:18 AM

I know that when its full wind in face its good to have full frontspin. But when the wind is like 15-30 mph full ahead, is it best to have full frontspin for lots of roll, full backspin for long flight or normal for little of both to get the longest drives?

• StrangeMagic
    1,304 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2011 2:56 AM

I use  full frontspin into the wind, and use full backspin to "ride" the wind with a tailwind.

Seems to work OK for me:

Driving
    StrangeMagic
    Longest Drive 400 Yd.
    Avg. Driving Distance 292 Yd.
    Driving Accuracy 77.46%
  • eligolfer
    87 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2011 5:28 AM

Okej ty

• bearclaw27
    553 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2011 10:14 AM

StrangeMagic:

I use  full frontspin into the wind, and use full backspin to "ride" the wind with a tailwind.

ahhh...ty wise one, but please tell us what type of spin you use with a crosswind..?

;/

--bear

ps...I'm sad to hear that you have left the swc

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2011 9:27 AM

eligolfer:

I know that when its full wind in face its good to have full frontspin. But when the wind is like 15-30 mph full ahead, is it best to have full frontspin for lots of roll, full backspin for long flight or normal for little of both to get the longest drives?

Hitting a ball with full topspin results in a drive that flies lower, lands shorter, but rolls farther than a drive with full backspin. Total distance will be about the same with either club, but if you must carry over a long hazard don't hit topspin. Kiawah #10 with a tail wind, for instance. Hit it with backspin down the right edge of the fairway over the sand and you will have a perfect approach without worrying about the sand to the left of the green. Hit the same shot with topspin and you will be in that waste area.

RSS