Forums

Help › Forums

Legends Question about Driving Distances

rated by 0 users
Mon, May 9 2011 7:02 AM (22 replies)
  • sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2011 9:28 AM

Boys since getting the R-11 my average driving distance has gone up 2yds and driving accuracy a couple of percentage points. I have had it about 6-8 weeks now and those numbers may not sound very impressive, but considering I was playing with the R-9 for six months prior to that, I think it pretty well verifies which is the better club.

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2011 9:36 AM

TarheelsRule:
    Now the Cleveland wedges, or wedge I only have the 60 degree needs some help too, that is one tough

I've heard the same from alot of players, and have reservations on buying one myself...all I've heard is backspin backspin and more backspin. Doesn't excite me on spending $8.95  to watch a ball "backspin" 10ft to 30 YARDS.  But thats just me.

BTW...good post and great replies..;)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2011 9:47 AM

I'm with six-I used the level 80 R9 until the R11 came out , was unimpressed and went back to the R9. After reading a little about it here I decided to give it more time. That's the difference. You don't really appreciate it until you play it for a while all over in the different winds. I am quite spoiled by it now.

On the CG-get it. That iron is so accurate without the spin you will be amazed. It literally backs up by itself sometimes so what you find yourself doing is getting comfortable with the stopping ability by just hitting it. Spin ain't all it's cracked up to be, you need to know what it does before using it but you also need to know what the actual club does before you change the dynamics.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2011 9:57 AM

I LOVE the 60 degree CG-16. Blows away the TM Satin I was using before as far as accuracy. I don't use BS at all unless it's a 19mph+ downwind shot and it's amazing. Top spin for that club is AWESOME for gaining a little more yardage. I've actually hit that thing 96 yrds (it's rated 80yrds) with top spin and NO roll. Very accurate wedge. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE that club?

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2011 11:12 AM

I tend to find what Yankee says is very true.

The back spin is just a show feature to me, the iron seems very accurate from 80 yards with no spin on it.  I haven't tried putting overspin on it.  The b/s is just way too inconsistent, I watched a shot from 80 yards with a 15mph wind back up the hill at St Andrews the other day, landed 5 yards behind the pin and backed up 12 yards, that isn't how a wedge is susposed to work, we need to have a little more realistic clubs.

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2011 12:20 PM

Wel if you combine that wedge with a Callaway ball you will get back spin explosion because they both have added spin,GI2 SD2 or GI SD are easier to judge.You cant moan when you take the spiniest wedges with the spiniest ball and see it come back half the green with full bs

• Steelers75
    239 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2011 12:36 PM

TarHeels, hit me up sometime and I'll coach you through some shot with the Clevelands.  Once you get the hang of them it's a wonder you've played as you have without them.

- Steel

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2011 12:45 PM

To get back to the original driving distance question...I've found that with my R9 ("old" version, equivalent to the level 62+), on STA, if I add a little topspin going downwind, my drives will usually end up longer (sometimes MUCH longer!), than if I use backspin.  This is probably due to the "back-side of the mound" feature mentioned earlier in this thread.  Just bear in mind that your ball will be rolling much sooner and much farther, and will therefore be much more affected by the slopes, mounds, dips and other weirdness in the STA fairways.  I've had plenty of 350+ drives that were "dinged" but ended up a foot off the fairway because of strange bounces and rolls.

On the other 3 courses, backspin generally seems to produce longer drives (in my experience, anyway).

Of course having said all that, my longest drive (410 a few weeks ago) was hit with full backspin (and a hefty tailwind).  Call it a lucky bounce....and an even luckier roll!  Gotta love those double greens on STA!

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2011 3:11 PM

Thanks for the input.  I think that to measure distance fairly you have to go to Kiawah or BethPage and leave St Andrews out of it due to the mounds and bounces you get.

In my experience with the R9 versus the R11 at Kiawah they are about even into the wind, you can put a tiny bit of topspin on the R11 and full on the R9 and come about close.  No wind or slight wind the R11 goes longer and downwind it is no contest.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Mon, May 9 2011 5:29 AM

Interesting issue this one, just got the R11 & I can see that if I add a bit of top spin it drives nice into head wind, although I am not sure how to realy get the best out of the club when crosswind or back wind. 

So my question;

• is it a good idea to add bac/top spin (how much) when crosswinds?
    • is it a good idea to add bac/top spin (how much) when back wind?

I was playing yesterday a matchplay; I was usin the R11 with Callas "z" while my oponnent was using the R9 for 275 yards with the Callas "s"...to my big surprise, my oponnent was landing the ball just rigth beside my ball with 8-10 mph back & cross winds at Beth. what?!!!! ..something was wrong, I was suppose to drive at least 10-15 yards longer, but I wans't :( . Did not add back or top spin myself to my drives & dinging some of them.

Am I getting this thread wrong?

Regards, Eric

PS...I am not a legend but a TM

RSS