Forums

Help › Forums

Calculating Avg.

Sat, Apr 23 2011 9:51 AM (4 replies)
  • Draklems
    224 Posts
    Fri, Apr 22 2011 5:15 PM

I’m a little confused how the avg. calculation works, and here’s why. I was @ 62.18 and played the back 9 of St. Andrews w/difficult conditions (hoping to nudge avg. up a little without sandbagging) and finished -2. I figured that would average out to a 70 for 18 holes, so my overall avg. would go up from the 62.18, at least a little. But it didn’t. It actually went down about .05, so my question is, what am I missing? Why is it my avg. went down with a -2 on 9 holes instead of going up?

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Fri, Apr 22 2011 5:38 PM

Because your average isn't an average anymore ( not that it ever really was).

The only time your average will go up under this system is when you first advance to a new tier.  Let's say you move up from  Master to Tour Master. The first "x" number of games will make you average go up/down until you have reached that minimum number of ranked rounds ( different for each tier). Assume 30 rounds ... after those first 30,  only your lower scores will be counted,which will make that "average" creep down to the point of advancing to another tier.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Fri, Apr 22 2011 5:41 PM

Averages are calculated a bit different here and for a good reason. Often in the past people would purposely sabotage their average to ensure that they would not move from one tier to another thus allowing them to sandbag and stay at a level to ensure they could beat and win credits from unsuspecting people who were in their right and true levels. Back in the summer of last year WGT adjusted this so that bad rounds do not affect your average. There is an exception to that though. Once you move from one tier to another your average which is based on your last 10 good rounds is reset and your average can and often does jump.

• Draklems
    224 Posts
    Fri, Apr 22 2011 5:53 PM

Ok, I think I understand it now. Thanks for the explanation guys. So pretty much, those first 10 or 30 games you play at a new tier are most important as far as influencing your average the greatest. After that your bad scores will not affect your average. Got it :)

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 9:51 AM

Draklems:

Ok, I think I understand it now. Thanks for the explanation guys. So pretty much, those first 10 or 30 games you play at a new tier are most important as far as influencing your average the greatest. After that your bad scores will not affect your average. Got it :)

The average score isn't average at all. I can't shoot a 66 on average, I just played 30 half-decent rounds now occasionally shoot some good ones.

**EDIT** 5 months down the line and I CAN shoot 66 on average, I also moved up a tier lol.

RSS