Forums

Help › Forums

full backspin on drives with callaway s ball?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Apr 25 2011 1:41 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2011 10:42 PM

I would like some feedback from the better players on this. Do you still use full backspin on your drives with the Callaway s balls? I started using full backspin on drives after reading a post by bollie several months back. but this was before the mega spin Callaway s balls. Any feedback from you will be greatly appreciated.

• roeiboot4
    11 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 1:34 AM

I normally don't use backspin on drives, because it reduces the distance of your drive. I put a little bit of frontspin on the ball, so the ball doesn't get (back)spin and goes as far as it can.

I wouldn't put backspin on the calla s-balls, except on the par-3's, which keeps the ball on the green.

-roeiboot4

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 2:29 AM

Hi Born,

I have used full backspin and find that I can drop the ball with minimal roll to land within feets of the rough on those holes like on Kia where the fairway is divided into two.

On others like that one on Oak,with a 12mph wind behind me I can clear the weedy stuff and end up on the second part of the fairway within a short wedge from the hole and the ball stops right where it lands.

There are also a few par 3 holes somewhere or other that require a driver to reach the green,and on these,backspin does the job of stopping the ball on the green,although some roll is experienced,with any kind of wind.

However my findings are nowhere near conclusive due to my built in Fubar factor which dictates that only on shots of no importance am I able to ding.Any shot which will determine the outcome of a game of great importance will of course subject itself to wildly erratic results due to the above mentioned factor.

I decided early on that to always remember and practice "moderation in moderation" was a good way of not having to accept anything that wasnt acceptable and this has never not worked for me.

Lizzie xx

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 2:31 AM

Oopsies.

I should have read your post properly.

You said some of the better players...

Lizzie xx

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 5:09 AM

roeiboot4:

I normally don't use backspin on drives, because it reduces the distance of your drive. I put a little bit of frontspin on the ball, so the ball doesn't get (back)spin and goes as far as it can.

I wouldn't put backspin on the calla s-balls, except on the par-3's, which keeps the ball on the green.

-roeiboot4

You're wrong about losing distance using backspin on drives.You actually gain a slight amount of carry  because the ball stays in the air longer. Using backspin on drives helps you clear trees bunkers and the like that a drive with top spin would more than likely land in. Drives with topspin actually can get you less distance over all  due to the fact that the ball can sort of nose dive in certain wind conditions. One of the best players on here, Bolloxinbruges, winner of the Virtual U.S. Open last year recommends using full backspin on drives unless you have a 12 mph or higher wind directly in your face If it's good enough for him it's good enough for me. I was just curious if the top players who use the Callaway s balls still use full backspin on their drives or have made some adjustments.

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 5:10 AM

LizzieRossetti:

Oopsies.

I should have read your post properly.

You said some of the better players...

Lizzie xx

Lizzie you may not be one of the best players but I value your opinion very highly.

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 5:17 AM

Nwarrr Besty!

You were MEANT to say " Oh but Lizzie,you ARE the best"

Oh well,back to the drawing board lol.

And Ty xx

Lizzie xx

• Hanswurst72
    1,097 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 5:39 AM

As long as you are not facing a headwind, full backspin increases the carry length and decreases a roll. That nearly always results in a longer drive at kiawah and bethpage, most of the time also at oakmont. Furthermore, its very usefull to clear things like the bunker on #9 oakmont or the burn at #11 at oakmont (both with a tail wind ). Only if u got a headwind or playing St. Andrews where the roll is a much more important part of the shot... backspin is not useful on drives.

Cheers =)

• rowlandsfc
    181 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 6:01 AM

i only use half backspin for the callaways on drives that way u still get the extra carry and max distance and more roll when it lands

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 6:24 AM

Sting-I remember that thread where Bollox said that but I never found out why he stopped doing it over 12. The R11 makes a difference with this and it wasn't around when he said that. Winds in your face knock it down more so you lose some yardage there and I haven't quite figured out the best application of spin in winds yet. This is with the Tour-SD ball.

@Bollox-could you weigh in here? Tx.

• PAGES
RSS