Forums

Help › Forums

bunker shots

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 30 2009 12:47 PM (6 replies)
  • spazzymondo
    2 Posts
    Sat, Aug 29 2009 3:42 PM

I'm totally useless out of the bunker. Just the shots make no sense. I'll give it plenty of hit and it'll go about about a yard and then other times i'll hit it and it'll fly out as it should do. I just don;t get bunker shots, even if i hit it with plenty of power sometimes it just goes a yard and i'm still stuck in the bunker.

Apart from avoiding the bunkers what the hell is the key to getting out of them, keep in mind ill play the same same shot and one time i'll play out of it fine and the next it wont move more than a few feet *baffled*

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sat, Aug 29 2009 4:09 PM

Do a search over there on bunkers! ------------------------->

Lots of useful infomation! Goodluck, and keep trying!

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 29 2009 4:37 PM

Spazzymondo, use flop shots whenever possible to get out of bunkers. They work especially well at Bethpage. Just remember to aim a couple of yards left of pin, because any flop shot by nature will drift to the right.

Also, ball lies in a bunker may vary from 15% up to 50% or more. You can't quite expect glorious recovery shots if your ball is half-submerged in sand.

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Sat, Aug 29 2009 5:21 PM

In general green side bunker's are a 15%-20% lie.Whatever the yardage is,just add on 5yds extra.So for instance a 20yd shot to the pin would become a 25yd shot to the pin.Nailed on within a 1yd or 2 every time.

As regards to the flop shot same principles apply as above, aim left of target roughly 2-3 grid boxes and you shouldn't be too far away.Obviously you will have to adjust the aim depending on which way the green is running

• spazzymondo
    2 Posts
    Sun, Aug 30 2009 8:57 AM

Cheer people, I will give these things a go.

Just a case of keeping at it, my putting was useless at first but I got used to that, just got to get the hang of the bunkers now.

Thanks!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Aug 30 2009 12:32 PM

As general rule from greenside bunkers, you can rely upon a 50yrd LW at 50% power to equal 15yrds.

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Sun, Aug 30 2009 12:47 PM

I tend to agree the 15 to 20% rule is what I use with an L wedge.  You also have to really be careful of the slope of the green and the rule after the ball hits from a bunker. 

RSS