Forums

Help › Forums

Are hackers cheating here?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jan 19 2017 11:10 AM (8 replies)
  • Aalder5
    9 Posts
    Mon, Jan 16 2017 2:40 AM

I play for fun and because golf was a big part of my life before I became paralyzed down my right hand side and wheelchair bound. That all said I hold my own on the app and play off the Master level.

I'm becoming increasingly dubious of some of the scores been posted up in some of the tournaments. It's not sour grapes or even a knowledgeable input from a technology geek, it's merely a raised eyebrow at the incredibly low scores. For instance, a 27 on the front nine of Royal St George in the RSG 9 active tournament currently playing. Not the most incredible I've seen, which was a 23 on the front 9 Bandon Dunes. Is there a way that these scores can be verified by a moderator or member of the development team. I'm not screaming or stamping my feet, as I'm doubtful that I'll ever be in the running for a top placement because there's far more talented players than myself, it's purely that I can't be the only one who has doubts about the same issue. 

If anyone else feels the same, then please contribute but let's not turn this into a rant because on the whole it's a well run and fair game from my perspective. 

• fairground11
    1,211 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2017 11:41 AM

i presume that you know that brandon is a par 3 course so a round of 23 equates to 4 under par

• BunkerBuzzer
    269 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2017 12:17 PM

fairground11:

i presume that you know that brandon is a par 3 course so a round of 23 equates to 4 under par

i presume he doesn't ;)

• jessek12
    102 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2017 12:53 PM

Aalder5:

I'm becoming increasingly dubious of some of the scores been posted up in some of the tournaments. It's not sour grapes or even a knowledgeable input from a technology geek, it's merely a raised eyebrow at the incredibly low scores. For instance, a 27 on the front nine of Royal St George in the RSG 9 active tournament currently playing. Not the most incredible I've seen, which was a 23 on the front 9 Bandon Dunes. Is there a way that these scores can be verified by a moderator or member of the development team.

Short answer: Yes I am sure there are cheaters on here, but no most of the scores are legit

Long answer: Typically, you'll find "multi accounters" or people that learned all the nuances of the game under one account, then created a new account to clean up in tourneys with the knowledge/skill. WGT tries to counter these with IP address filtering but many on here are skeptical of that.

Also, there are known cheat programs that supposedly can auto-ding, or more nefarious purposes (intercepting round results and editing them before they reach WGT servers). Whole big mess a few months back with banned players and that.

Most of the low scores you see (in my opinion) are probably legitimate, and come from people who:

a) are good at the game, have good reflexes, etc.

b) have played the courses enough to have memorized the landing spots, both fairway and green

c) have enough time playing the game, mapping clubs/balls, and just practicing that they can tell you exactly how far a shot will go, where it will go, and what it will do when it lands

There are players in my CC that regularly post -8/-9 for 9 holes, and I am 99.9% sure that they are just fantastic players. Should the game be that exaggerated?  Probably not, but gives you something to aspire to as a mere mortal.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2017 1:33 PM

It is naïve to believe that WGT has no players that cheat, but many of the top players (not me) can play the game unbelievably well. This can be from playing and practicing thousands and thousands of rounds, and mastering every aspect of the game.

I am an average player who occasionally can shoot well, for example I hit a 26 BP on Andy's last week in the weekly tournament - so if I can do that once in a blue moon, pretty much anyone can.

The best players would whip me 99% of the time, but occasionally you just have that incredible run....

Yes there may be some people who have manipulated the game - and if so and proved by the company, should be kicked to the kerb without hesitation. I have no time for anyone cheating.

What concerns me are players that can shoot low scores from day dot - that is not possible without prior knowledge in my opinion.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2017 1:53 PM

Aalder5:
    For instance, a 27 on the front nine of Royal St George in the RSG 9 active tournament currently playing.

9 birdies or 7 birdies, a par and an eagle isn't unusual for a tournament like that. Change that par to a birdie and you have a 26. There's currently 6 of them in the Champion tier. There are a lot of players now that can do that just because RSG isn't that hard and they are that good, not to mention that tournament's unlimited. :-)

• kersh1976
    2,790 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2017 5:47 PM

alanti:

I am an average player who occasionally can shoot well, for example I hit a 26 BP on Andy's last week in the weekly tournament - so if I can do that once in a blue moon, pretty much anyone can.

The best players would whip me 99% of the time, but occasionally you just have that incredible run....

Alan I think you and me are living the same WGT life. 

Yes, folk cheat on here but I'm past caring. I just about manage to play on here without spending too much of my own money. I scrape the odd win in the cheapo Rg's and that's good enough for me. 

For those who take it real seriously, WGT gives you all the info you need, green speeds and breaks, wind direction,  distances how far your clubs hit a ball etc.  If you are dedicated enough to learn all these things. Then you will be a top player and score low almost every round. 

Personally, I enjoy having a few drinks or 7 and if I have a good one I'm happy. If it's a crap one, so what. 

• TigerLuvsBush
    491 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2017 8:49 AM

YankeeJim:

Aalder5:
    For instance, a 27 on the front nine of Royal St George in the RSG 9 active tournament currently playing.

9 birdies or 7 birdies, a par and an eagle isn't unusual for a tournament like that. Change that par to a birdie and you have a 26. There's currently 6 of them in the Champion tier. There are a lot of players now that can do that just because RSG isn't that hard and they are that good, not to mention that tournament's unlimited. :-)

except RSG is a par 35, so 9 birdies is 26.....................

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2017 11:10 AM

TigerLuvsBush:
    except RSG is a par 35, so 9 birdies is 26.

Good catch. Might be seeing a 25 then.

RSS