Help › Forums

It's deja vu.. all over again.

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 29 2016 3:48 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TryPants
    251 Posts
    Thu, Sep 8 2016 10:38 PM

In the last few weeks.. managed to move up to Legend tier.

Right so.. figured the tees would be back some.

But.. not this much.

Holy crapperz!

Almost forced to buy some 'better' balls to get a decent score in. If that, and the golf gods be willing (VEM? anyone?.. I know.. I know.. it's horse buried 12 feet under by now).

Or.. be humbled once again.

As when playing Chambers Bay for the first time and at this tier (and I can't recall the hole at the moment.. elevated tee, narrow path to the right leading down to the fairway).. the first time I played after moving up in tiers some moons back.. the first thought was; "I'll be lucky to hit the fairway.. ."

Welllll.. I hit the fairway and was left with a 3 wood into the green.

Nope.

Didn't make it (at least not with the prevailing hurricane force winds in my face).

Long story short.. par golf hurts my ego.

Someone.. gimme a hug..

• Jimac55
    88 Posts
    Sun, Sep 11 2016 3:38 PM

Unless you just got your equipment recently you've got the clubs you need for legend, so no hugs.

Myself on the other had made legend before all this level stuff started, I came back to the game some months ago a Lvl 16 or thereabouts playing Legend with clubs that couldn't cope and no prospect to buy ones that could until very recently. Bit silly really for WGT, I wanted to give them money but they wouldn't let me.

I think that deserves a hug.

• TryPants
    251 Posts
    Mon, Sep 12 2016 5:31 PM

Whoa.. that's sounds like the stuff of golfing nightmares.

Not only a hug.. but.. here..

(*hands over a frosty mug of beer*)

Cheers.. and best of luck back out on the courses. :)

• alosso
    21,039 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 11:36 PM

Solarflares:
    TryPants:

Of course , "real" beer should be served at 12 degrees C or thereabouts.

Britons surely have developped over the years...
    (from room temperature Ale *shudders*)

Cheers!

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Sep 25 2016 8:18 AM

alosso:

Solarflares:
    TryPants:

Of course , "real" beer should be served at 12 degrees C or thereabouts.

Britons surely have developped over the years...
    (from room temperature Ale *shudders*)

Cheers!

If you chill ale it loses all of its flavour.

In fact cold ale is only fractionally better than the finest American beers...yes, chilling ale really does destroy it that much.

• petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Sun, Sep 25 2016 8:26 AM

PaulTon:

If you chill ale it loses all of its flavour.

In fact cold ale is only fractionally better than the finest American beers...yes, chilling ale really does destroy it that much.

Dunno Paul, when I was in England a while back and I ordered a pint in a pub in Salisbury, it was served room temperature and it tasted godawful!

I hear what you say about Yank beers but their alcohol content is so low you might as well chew winegums.

Still prefer my beer chilled, Carling Black Label, and if you're ever in this neck of the woods I'd love to introduce you to the complexity of finely brewed CHILLED beer.

:-)

• alosso
    21,039 Posts
    Sun, Sep 25 2016 10:59 AM

Solarflares:
    3 of us drank the whole barrel.
    Wo-hoo - a lot of fun for sure!

I've tasted a lot of Ale in many parts of the British Island in the last ten years, and most of it was cooled (not chilled) to my pleasure. A single pint in old style temperature was served to me only once, and I couldn't finish it. 40 years of conditioning with cooled German beer take their toll!

And, to be honest, as schoolboys of 11 years, soon after we started to learn English in fifth grade, we learned the dreadful truths of England: bad weather, warm beer, tasteless food and mint sauce. MINT SAUCE, unbelievable!

All of them were unmasked as myths when I finally travelled the countries: Lots of sunshine, cooled beer and delicious food - sometimes including mint sauce.

Add the golf courses - I enjoyed 71 of them, plus The Himalayas  :o)

I remember a moment on the terrasse of Whitehill GC (Hertfordshire) after the final round of an intense golfing week, sitting at a rustic wooden table with a delicious pint, looking over the countryside. We were bound to the airport, but I said to my son: Why should we get up? Let's stay here!

Can't wait to go back!

• PAGES
RSS