Help › Forums

WEDGES

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 27 2016 5:50 AM (24 replies)
  • Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2016 9:45 PM

TopShelf2010:
    I should have mentioned that the type of ball you use is a major factor when it comes to spin.

Thats true. Also he has L20s Cleves while ours are L70s.

• pmm711
    5,520 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2016 11:15 PM

I hit free balls and the Clevelands create tremendous backspin with them.  If I bought balls I'd have to learn how to hit them all over again.  They are the best for shaving strokes off your game.

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Wed, Aug 24 2016 8:16 AM

Vaibhav5viv:
    His Clevelands don't.

I disagree. I had those Cleveland wedges and they had excellent backspin, even with the starter ball. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 24 2016 9:27 AM

Robert1893:

Vaibhav5viv:
    His Clevelands don't.

I disagree. I had those Cleveland wedges and they had excellent backspin, even with the starter ball. 

He's not saying no spin, just not the same spin as  the high level ones, which is tremendous. Quite the troublemaker if you aren't careful.  :-)

• pmm711
    5,520 Posts
    Wed, Aug 24 2016 2:48 PM

YankeeJim:

Robert1893:

Vaibhav5viv:
    His Clevelands don't.

He's not saying no spin, just not the same spin as  the high level ones, which is tremendous. Quite the troublemaker if you aren't careful.  :-)

Absolutely Jim!!!!!!  Even with free starter balls you can end up bs-ing 30 feet away from the hole.  It really matters what hole and course you're playing.  

I will say this...

Until I got the Clevelands...I had no f-ing idea what BS was in this game.  You learn damn fast with those things in your bag.

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Wed, Aug 24 2016 4:27 PM

YankeeJim:
    He's not saying no spin, just not the same spin as  the high level ones, which is tremendous.

I understood what he was saying. The post he responded to said that the Clevelands "produce some incredible backspin." He said they don't. 

I still disagree. It was my experience that the backspin on the lower-level Clevelands was "incredible." 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 24 2016 4:32 PM

pmm711:
    Until I got the Clevelands...I had no f-ing idea what BS was in this game.  You learn damn fast with those things in your bag

LOL. My own particular mindset with those CGs and a 71Nike............

64W-either no spin and let it back up by itself, top spin to stop it or full back spin to make it hop and stop. Never ever partial spin.

60W-Never any kind of spin with full shot unless its top spin into a wind. Does just fine playing flat and punches a nice 68, rolls if you top it.

56W-Only top spin for more distance. Awesome punch you can control with top spin and back spin ain't so bad but I never learned the exacts with it. Works too good feeling your way around.  

Terrific clubs if you're inclined to map exact and terrific clubs to feel your way around with.  :-)

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Thu, Aug 25 2016 1:01 PM

Solarflares:
    With a Volvic l51 - the accuracy and stopping-ability of the l20's Clevelands was enough to take you to tour-master. I augmented my bag ,just before that , with a l52 max-spin 64 wedge , and a l60 tour-w 105yard wedge.  This odd combination served me till l80 , and the upgrade to the top-clevelands.

I can see that.

Personally, I think what makes the upper-level Clevelands superior to the lower level ones is really their precision more so than their spin.

As already been commented. if one is taking a full swing (as well as swinging more than 80%, I would think), it's probably rare to apply anymore backspin than having the dot at the middle, default position. Now there are times I use full backspin, but that's typically when I'm hitting them at < 70%. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Aug 25 2016 1:23 PM

Robert1893:
    Now there are times I use full backspin, but that's typically when I'm hitting them at < 70%.

Try full back spin with a full swing. It makes that 64W incredibly accurate and stops it with a little hop. 50-60 out becomes a genuine hole-out scenario.  :-)

RSS