Forums

Help › Forums

QUITERS

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 16 2009 7:34 PM (32 replies)
  • Lysti
    323 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2009 1:14 PM

Hi Sir Faterson...I don't think I can take credit for that proposal.  I have said give them their ranked & unranked multiplayer games.  So far I've only played multiplayer with Drivnchaos so I'm no expert on this topic.  =) 

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2009 2:36 PM

Lysti:
    I don't think I can take credit for that proposal.

I gave you credit because you made an excellent point. You said, don't let anyone quit their ranked round. (Without a small penalty, I add.)

And that is exactly what WGT should implement! After all, if your Internet connection breaks down or real life issues interfere, your current status in the round is saved on the server. And so, next time you log back onto the site, the server should pop up a screen for you: "Welcome back! It looks like you haven't finished playing your ranked round. Do you wish to complete that round now, or do you wish to forfeit it?" (We already get to read a similar message today.)

If the user selects the Forfeit this round option, the server might pop up another window saying: "This was a ranked round and forfeiting it will incur a small penalty for you. Do you still wish to forfeit the round?" Yes/No

I hope that most of us can agree thus far that this would be the correct procedure. The only question remaining is, What should be the penalty for forfeiting a ranked round? As Snaike pointed out, if the penalty were the increase of one's average score, this might be misused by sandbaggers. Therefore my alternative suggestion for the penalty: the penalty would be that the next ranked round played by the player would not count towards that player's average score, and would be marked with an asterisk in that player's Score History. Just by looking at someone's Score History, you could see, simply by the number of asterisks posted there, if that player was a frequent quitter or not.

claremoreblue:
    Spamming, is constantly posting about the same old chit faterson!

We are not posting the same things. We are debating proposed solutions on how to resolve this issue that is clearly troubling lots of WGT users, and damaging this online golf game. I feel that definite progress has been made in recent months in discussing the quitters issue. It's arrogant of you and Snaike to say that just because you don't happen to care about a particular issue, that issue is unimportant or nonsense. If it were unimportant or nonsense, there wouldn't be countless threads in these forums about it. And you shouldn't blame users for the overabundance of threads, but rather the absence of forum moderators; all the quitters threads should have been merged into a single thread a long time ago, and pinned in one of the subforums, so that those of you allergic to discussing the quitters issue could easily ignore that single thread devoted to eliminating this detriment to the game.

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2009 2:50 PM

Oh because we were talking about playing from the red tees and I said the scores are just getting unrealistic at this point.  I don't take much stock in the averages anymore.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2009 3:02 PM

Good for you; neither do I. But that rational stance is clearly in the minority, because it seems next to impossible to complete a multi-player foursome. It's like winning a lottery jackpot right now – highly unlikely to occur.  

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2009 3:17 PM

I'm in for a multi Faterson, care to join!!  :)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2009 3:24 PM

If you find 2 more folks who are unlikely to quit, we can launch the game right away!   I really play a lot less than I could, simply because I'm too busy to play single-player games, and too frustrated by the quitters to join a foursome that is likely to disintegrate after a few holes, which seems to be the current standard here at WGT.com.

• Script
    621 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2009 4:19 PM

Have never played in a foursome.  Most threesomes finish as twosomes.  SO WHAT!!!

If joining a group and having someone quit is so stressful, don't join with anyone you haven't already played with that always finishes. 

I promise myself not to engage in teaching a pig to sing and then do it anyway....wasting my time and annoying the pig.  (This is not in reference to anyone on this site, BTW)

Seems like what could be happening to some folks re. quitters.  Let it go.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2009 4:48 PM

Well, we had three, and then down to two!! Amazing!! :)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Aug 9 2009 1:28 AM

Script:
    Most threesomes finish as twosomes. SO WHAT!!!

That's a huge difference. Many, many, many people like playing this golf game while they are working. That's perfectly fine. A foursome golf round is ideal for me; I can both work & play at the same time. As soon as someone quits and we get a threesome, I need to mostly play, and work gets neglected; but it's still tolerable. After another person quits and there are only 2 players left, you can more or less forget about work and need to concentrate on the game only.

Script:
    don't join with anyone you haven't already played with that always finishes.

That's easier said than done. Remember this site also features all those dysfunctional green dots that were originally meant to indicate a player's availability to play a round, but they in fact usually only indicate that the player is currently online and in the midst of a round, thus unavailable for play.

Script:
    wasting my time and annoying the pig.

Indeed!    Both of us have wasted time, because I have explained the above many times before.

• Script
    621 Posts
    Sun, Aug 9 2009 4:20 AM

The spiral continues.....  The recession will never end as more and more 'workers' are forced to continue 'playing' on someone elses nickle or drachma or rial or whatever and more and more governments provide bailouts to support non-productive investments?  Isn't the ability to 'quit' kind of a bail out in itself as it permits one to maintain a facade of productive employment?  Woe be to the 'player' stuck in his 'unquittable' round.  (I concede that most are quit due to bad play but, what the heck, some universal hero my not be able to rescue us because it's his/her turn to putt!

OINK

RSS