Forums

Help › Forums

More Durability On High Priced Balls

rated by 0 users
Wed, May 13 2020 9:51 AM (23 replies)
  • alberich35
    858 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2015 12:50 AM

Why ball's durability should be like real life in a video game ?

Nothing is like real life in this game.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2015 1:48 AM

srellim234:
    If they were really trying to mimic real life golf balls, though, durability would be greater. I think the reason it's where it's at is a compromise between real life and the financial welfare of the company.

To me, it's not a compromise but a vague analogy. I agree to alberich, there's no need for "realism" here, and the balls don't wear out like real balls do. They have but a lifetime counter which denotes the limitation of the software license to use them.

I have long stopped to worry about that. To me, the balls (including the losses in water and OOB) are a steady entry fee to the game, allowing about 10 nine hole games per sleeve of 2.5 durability. As a side note, I'm happy that each of us may decide about it by buying cheap or expensive balls, or play with the freebees.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2015 6:33 AM

No true need for realism with regard to golf balls but WGT does continue to advertise the realism of their game. Equipment wear is part of the real life game. WGT abandoned the concept of eguipment wear with clubs that don't wear out, though, so you may well be correct..

Like you, alosso, I don't sweat the golf ball price and durability. We all find our "price point" for the entertainment value the game provides. In my case I just use the free golf balls except for special occasions. My goals and manner of play are a lot different than the majority of players so I can get away with it. The vast majority of players who include "tiering up" or being very competitive as one of their primary goals  has to pay the price for the golf balls, realistic or not.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2015 8:24 AM

" WGT abandoned the concept of eguipment wear with clubs that don't wear out..."

Golf clubs can "wear out" in real life?...I've never heard that before. I do know that people upgrade clubs as technology improves, or that clubs may be damaged if they hit a tree or a rock during a swing..

...interesting

ct

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2015 8:48 AM

Grips wear out and have to be replaced - a minor factor but existant.

Grooves wear out, too.

Graphite shafts may break, but that should not be regular.

OTOH, I watched a shot from Tiger in youtube, a close lie at a tree on CCC. "incredible second shot on No. 12 at AT&T National" it was called. In slow motion, you would see that the steel shaft was seriously bent, perhaps 10 inches at the clubhead. Still, it seemed straight afterwards...

(late edit)

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2015 9:50 AM

In addition to what alosso pointed out, even things like driver faces wear out. It takes years but it does happen. Most titanium driver faces have a little bit of outward bulge to them. Over the course of a large number of high speed impacts with the ball the clubface actually flattens out. You can see it by placing a credit card or something on it to see if there is still a slight gap at the edges. If the card lays completely flat on it, it's worn out. I imagine they eventually get some small stress fractures that can affect performance too.

Flex anything enough times it does wear out. Steel shafts not so much but composite and graphite shafts do wear out over time.

• xxxhogheadxxx
    949 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2015 11:00 AM

rlbruce:

Hi guys, I realize that WGT has operating costs but I noticed the durability is not higher than 2.5 on any of the balls.  Would it be possible and a little more reasonable to bump up the durability on the more expensive balls?  Thanks!

How many more hits on the expensive balls are you thinking is a fair deal?  You have to present your option to WGT since they do not know what you want presently.

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2015 2:26 PM

ct690911:
    Golf clubs can "wear out" in real life?

You conjured up a memory for me. Years ago I had a TM 540 XD driver in 12 degree. Loved that club - straight, long and true. Then it quit making that pretty sound and the yards started melting away. 

Had it not worn out, I'd still be playing it today, regardless of tech improvements. It was simple and excellent. 

• xxxhogheadxxx
    949 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2016 8:33 PM

rlbruce:

Hi guys, I realize that WGT has operating costs but I noticed the durability is not higher than 2.5 on any of the balls.  Would it be possible and a little more reasonable to bump up the durability on the more expensive balls?  Thanks!

WGT should give us 180  hits on the expensive golf balls.

• PhiEaglesFan
    617 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2016 8:47 PM

ct690911:
    Golf clubs can "wear out" in real life?

I once hit a 7-iron and upon contact with the ball the club head broke completely off and landed in a pond a few yards away. =/

What do you call an iron with no head?  A stick.

RSS