Forums

Help › Forums

Dingingthe shot affecting spin?

Sat, Jan 22 2011 5:12 PM (9 replies)
  • jeffsweeps
    62 Posts
    Wed, Jan 19 2011 9:01 PM

I seem to have noticed that if i play a draw or fade shot the i seem to lose my spin effectivenes and my shots do not stick. Wouldn't i be better off adjusting the aim left or right and "Dinging" it in order to keep my spin effectiveness?

Myabe i am just thinking i noticed that but it seems to be correct to me.

Any other opinion?

• Blickoo
    4 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2011 4:13 AM

Hi Jeff,  It's based on the dynamics of a ball in flight.  In real life applying fade or draw causes the ball to spin either to the left or right on it's vertical axis.

When trying to apply back spin when hitting a fade or draw is attempting to make the ball spin in both vertical and horizontal axis and is impossible to accurately achieve.  So you usually end up with a compromise shot.

Liam

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2011 7:41 AM

Spin will exaggerate deviation. If you spin and don't ding it the result is anybody's guess but the spin will still affect the landing. I regularly miss the swing on the Satin wedges because they forgive more and the spin is always there.

• jeffsweeps
    62 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2011 11:18 AM
    So in theory it becomes harder to play a draw or fade shot AND play your spin accurately. So i could be better off AIMING instead of draw/fade if i want to get my full spin effectiveness. Thanks I appreciate the comments
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2011 5:07 PM

jeffsweeps:
    So in theory it becomes harder to play a draw or fade shot AND play your spin accurately

I'm assuming the draw/fade you refer to is missing to steer the shot-pulling to draw and pushing to fade. This isn't a real function, it just happens to act like it in the ball flight. The problem is the deviation thing and you lose distance too. Sometimes flying with the wind will get you some yardage but for the most part you're not really helping yourself as much as you would if you actually aimed instead.

Beware that missing with the wind always hurts. Missing into the wind minimizes the damage of a missed ding. 

• stencil
    455 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2011 5:27 PM

Just wanna clarify. You can not "draw" or "fade" the ball in WGT. You just simply "push" or "pull" the shot so theres no use in missing the "ding" so the shot will come in on a better angle.

Stencil

• DuffyWaldorf
    286 Posts
    Fri, Jan 21 2011 6:00 PM

YankeeJim:

[I'm assuming the draw/fade you refer to is missing to steer the shot-pulling to draw and pushing to fade. This isn't a real function.

Maybe  with the cheat program Jeff has, it is a real function.  Or have we manned up and uninstalled it ? Kinda like deleting the post  "Look what I got"  in which you received a fine trophy that I will be kind enough not to show everyone.  http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/31068/175327.aspx#175327

From what it sounds like, you are trying to play the game.  So I'll end here.

Happy Golfing

Joe

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 22 2011 6:56 AM

DuffyWaldorf:
    Maybe  with the cheat program Jeff has, it is a real function. 

You might want to include a "LOL" with that or come up with concrete proof he has one. Otherwise, start apologizing.

@Stencil. I disagree.You're right about there not being this function, I stated that in the post before yours. What I disagree with is "You just simply "push" or "pull" the shot so theres no use in missing the "ding" so the shot will come in on a better angle."

BPB2 is a good example-in the right wind missing early draws the ball around the trees on the left.  BPB13-fade the ball around the trees at  the bend by missing late, again with the right wind.

I consider this technique a bit advanced because you really need to know your driver and be able to control it but even though it isn't a true draw/fade function you can most certainly  use it to your advantage on certain holes.

• DuffyWaldorf
    286 Posts
    Sat, Jan 22 2011 7:17 AM

DuffyWaldorf:

From what it sounds like, you are trying to play the game.  So I'll end here.

Happy Golfing

Joe

• jeffsweeps
    62 Posts
    Sat, Jan 22 2011 5:12 PM
    Cheat program my *** .... what i was showing in that post that was deleted by the mods, was the equivalent to the tape and paper rulers that people put on their screen. It was not used by me, when i said look what i got i was referring to the screen shots that another had sent me. I have long since abandoned any kinda of paper, tape or electronic ruler and just do simple percentage calculation in my head. so i would appreciate that before you say i have anything installed, YOU sir get your facts straight. I have played almost everyday since i joined with the exceptionof the few weekends i had previous activities planned. so you should withdraw your accusation. Sincerely Jeff P.S. I still have the screen shots the other player sent me but was advised against posting them to the board for this reason exactly.
RSS