Forums

Help › Forums

Poll: Get rid of the "three disconnect rule" in multiplayer

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 23 2016 4:19 AM (36 replies)
  • hatcojack
    410 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2015 6:29 AM

not always a WGT caused problem, i NEVER get disconnected but many of my playing partners/ opponents  DO during the same match, so it is not wgt alone. many players have problems due to their systems/browsers.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2015 6:44 AM

hatcojack:

not always a WGT caused problem, i NEVER get disconnected but many of my playing partners/ opponents  DO during the same match, so it is not wgt alone. many players have problems due to their systems/browsers.

My system/browser never gets disconnected during single play rounds only during multi-player rounds. 

How can it be my problem?  The only thing different in MP rounds is my computer is running WGT's MP code and WGT's server is running WGT's MP code.

I agree the 3 disconnect limit needs to change.  Just increasing it from 3 to 6 would help.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2015 9:39 AM

I thought the question posed by Icon was for "shot-clock penalty", not disconnects. I played my monthly A/S the other day, and after a player got the DC'd, and came back, the shot-clock started over. So, if they made it so that DC's are DQ'd and not shot clock violators, then the wrong question was asked/polled. 

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2015 9:50 AM

jayw4862:

I thought the question posed was for "shot-clock penalty", not disconnects. I played my monthly A/S the other day, and after a player got the DC'd, and came back, the shot-clock started over. So, if they made it so that DC's are DQ'd and not shot clock violators, then the wrong question was asked/polled. 

"Do you agree that the three timeout rule is ridiculous and stupid?"

....I understood what he meant, but you are right.....he should have said three "disconnect" rule, vice three "timeout" rule.

ct

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2015 10:51 AM

Sorry. I was referring to Icon's original post asking about the shot clock timeouts. I edited my post.

I'll add:

Disconnects are 100% server issues. They have nothing to do with the player's end, unless he/she has dial-up or an internet speed below 2mbps. Cache, cookies, browser choice, etc have zilch to do with disconnects.

WGT has 10 game-servers, I think. I've found that they play differently, even in single player mode. I always check the server I'm on, and if it's one I have blacklisted, I will change servers by looking for a multi-player game (AS, Blitz, etc), then declining before I load. It automatically puts me on the host's server. I repeat this until I find one of the 3 servers I prefer. 

With that said, player's joining games are all put on the host's server, which sometimes may be the worst one for a player or two, thus the disconnects and slow-loading issues.

The reason it'll never be fixed is the cost involved. Adding or upgrading the servers would put a serious dent in WGT's pockets. And with the slow demise of Adobe Flash, it's just not worth it, business-wise. 

Playing mulit-player games will always be what it is now. Unpredictable and a gamble. 

• PhiEaglesFan
    617 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2015 11:58 PM

From a competitive standpoint, there are a large number in the sore loser contingent whom are ready and willing to abuse a large number of disconnects rule and make you wait the full time every time. 

Perhaps unlimited continuances only for non-credit play would be a more practical solution as there are no real stakes and no reason to stay connected if someone decides to start jerking you around.  I've sat in the penalty box quite enough in my time.

• MIBCTGOLF
    165 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2015 2:29 AM

AGREE , Stop the 3 disconnect rule , hardly ever get even a 9 hole skins game done without someone disconnecting 3 times

and has happened to me & I never disconnect in any solo round

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2015 4:53 AM

PhiEaglesFan:

From a competitive standpoint, there are a large number in the sore loser contingent whom are ready and willing to abuse a large number of disconnects rule and make you wait the full time every time. 

Perhaps unlimited continuances only for non-credit play would be a more practical solution as there are no real stakes and no reason to stay connected if someone decides to start jerking you around.  I've sat in the penalty box quite enough in my time.

Good point...I only play for fun and the social side of it, so I didn't think to take into account those players who play for money or credits. It's important to not set it up where it can be abused.

• JazzX
    19 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2015 12:09 PM

3 games of AS attempted tonight - not a single one went past 8 holes. All were disconnect timeouts.

In case anyone is unclear:

I'm not talking about people who timeout during play.

I'm talking about when a team has a player whose connection fails so that everyone is taken to the reconnect screen.

If either player on that team 'disconnects' a total of three times between them, even over 18 holes - the game is over, and it's a waste of everyone's time.

TIP:

Since I turned "background loading" to off - it's never me with the problem

They trashed the game in one of the more recent 'upgrades' - because it never used to be a problem. But it was the only change I made to my settings, and now I don't get the "stuck on the green" bug that others are still getting.

• patefern
    9 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2015 3:47 PM

Sometimes during a 3 or 4 player stroke game the 1st or 2nd hole are a problem but seems to work after that.  Thank you for the tip but really we shouldn't have to need it.

RSS