Forums

Help › Forums

Driving into cross winds

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jan 19 2011 8:52 PM (8 replies)
  • silkyuk9
    429 Posts
    Sat, Jan 15 2011 3:52 AM

ok this is a part of the game i struggle with.

Lets say there is a cross wind on say 20mph blowing to the left. Ok so we know we are going to have to drive further right to counteract the wind. So how far right would you drive?

also lefts say the above again but this time you are firing to the green, how far right would you go so that you have counteracted the wind, I seem to always get it wrong.

• BoomboomCharlie
    5 Posts
    Sat, Jan 15 2011 6:02 AM

Play your shots with 'draw' (click just before the centre line) for a left to right wind and 'fade' click just after the centre line for a right to left wind. It is easuier to 'hold the ball' on the wind than play at trouble off the fairways

The flag positions can be approached in the same way.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sat, Jan 15 2011 6:13 AM

silkyuk9:

ok this is a part of the game i struggle with.

Lets say there is a cross wind on say 20mph blowing to the left. Ok so we know we are going to have to drive further right to counteract the wind. So how far right would you drive?

also lefts say the above again but this time you are firing to the green, how far right would you go so that you have counteracted the wind, I seem to always get it wrong.

That just comes from experience You have to try different angles until you find the right combination then remember what you learned. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 15 2011 6:43 AM

silkyuk9:

Concrete tip-missing on the side of the wind to the first hash mark past the ding straightens the drive out. Don't move the aimer and try this.  Not a good idea with approach shots but definitely works off the tee.  :-)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Jan 15 2011 6:44 AM

Someone posted a while back that on approach shots you can use the width of the blue aiming box as a ruler to use to measure offset for the wind.

In zoom mode, moving the aim triangle the width of the aiming box will compensate for about 9 mph of cross wind.  Keep in mind this is a rule of thumb starting point and different clubs, wedges and 3 irons for example, will react slightly differently to xwinds.  As will full and punch shots.  This tip helped me immensely and I thought I'd pass it on.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 15 2011 6:51 AM

andyson:
    In zoom mode, moving the aim triangle the width of the aiming box

Are you calling the blue triangle the "aiming box"?  

*edit*  nevermind, has to be the blue square.   :-)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Jan 15 2011 3:54 PM

YankeeJim:
    Are you calling the blue triangle the "aiming box"?  

To be GC, (Geometrically Correct) I should have said the blue rectangle. :-)

YankeeJim:
    *edit*  nevermind, has to be the blue square.   :-)

See above, a square has 4 sides of equal length.  Its a blue rectangle.

The GC Police ;-)

• Fuzzygazz
    1,469 Posts
    Wed, Jan 19 2011 9:23 AM

Lol  ^ Good one Andy. Ty for tip.

• jeffsweeps
    62 Posts
    Wed, Jan 19 2011 8:52 PM

Instead of using the aiming box as a reference, i always just assume the flagstick is 2 yds high, and adjust by using that on the ZOOM screen. I always just eyeball the drives.

RSS