Help › Forums

Buying Equipment for First time.

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 7 2015 12:50 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2015 8:29 AM

Hello, I am new to the game and looking for advice on buying equipment. I am level 33 Pro and have been playing for a week. I have been reading some threads similar to this and so far this is my plan. 

Once I get level 35 Buy the TaylorMade Ghost Putter 800 Credits. 

Wait till level 38/9 and buy 3 of the TaylorMade ATV wedges. (Which 3 should I buy? 52, 58, 64?)

Wait till level 48 buy the TaylorMade driver. 

Level 59 Buy the Ping G25 irons. 

Is this a good plan? It gives me wedges, putter, irons and a driver. However it doesn't give me a 3 wood. Should I buy the Level 31 R11 3 wood? Should I just buy the R11 Irons and not get the Pings? It would also leave me with a starter hybrid. 

Also I have gather most of this from threads similar to mine, but I have found little advice on when I should buy balls other than the starter balls? When should i do so and which balls? 

I have 750 credits from playing and the rest will be bought. 

Thanks for your help. 

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2015 10:35 AM

It's a good plan IMHO.

Take the shortest ATVs, 50 yds and 77 yds I think.

You may buy the R11 3WD as a driver replacement - cheap and efficient for a while. The 3H may be replaced by an extra wedge later (higher level wedge).

L59 is at 88,000 XPs - wait if you can or buy the R11 if you want to spend.

With these clubs, custom balls act slower than the Starter balls. Try the B-ES first, then the Tour-SD. Beware they wear and get lost - constant income for the company.

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2015 12:36 PM

that sounds like an excellent plan! im still using that putter now at 93 :P

• JaymsTee
    64 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2015 1:06 PM

Hi MrFW,

I am aware that two opinions can be worse than none sometimes, but nonetheless, I'd like to give you mine. I've been playing for two months now and spending quite some of that time scanning the shop for better equipment. I agree 100% to alosso in terms of price-performance ratio, but if your focus is more on the performance part than on the price, here are some alternative ideas.

As to what is available at your current level (33), I am still using (and being pretty comfortable with) the Cleveland 588 wedges. A few days after starting to play, a friend gave me the 56°, and I purchased the 64° as soon as I could. Their only disadvantage in comparison to the ATVs you favor is the price (x2). They cover distances of 60 resp. 90 yards (+10/-3 compared to the ATVs) and come with better forgiveness, slower meter speed (+ 0.5 each) and, last but not least, a high trajectory (instead of ATV's med/high), all of them critical for more accurate approach shots. Once you are used to them (at full backspin, I see them lose about 6 yards in distance), you won't regret the extra money spent.

I am also playing with a L22 putter (Odyssey versa #7, 1,495 credits). Its stats are identical to the cheaper TM Ghost, so if you're that close to L35, it is the right decision to wait  for that bargain (I didn't have the patience ;)). And you will be happy with it until L70 at least.

I happily played the TM driver (L48) for a long time and got the Ping G25s after some advice from friends, so my thumbs up for those. I also agree with alosso on the R11 irons (despite the price) as an interim solution. I would not care much about the hybrid and replace it once you have the Ping irons by a third wedge (e.g. Cleveland 588 60°, 75 yards); at least it iswhat I did.

As to balls, I'd say anything is better than the starter balls, although alosso is perfectly right about the "constant income for the company" part. You will have to trade advantages particularly in spin and meter speed against the costs. Never go for less durability than 2.5 (which most of them have, but still there are some with 2.0). I am using the damn expensive Nike RZN WHite Balls (L40, 600 credits per set) and will switch to the 20XI-S at L70 (450 credits) as soon as I can.

Have lots of fun shopping and playing! :-)

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2015 1:13 PM

I like you have put some thought into your plan and think it is a very sensible one.

Until level 59 (does not take that long to get there) you probably will only need 2 wedges, but 3 will replace the use of using the starters PW.

The other thing is you will need to use a better ball and Alosso has given you good options at reasonable prices.

Your planned set-up could take you all the way to legend - you may struggle against players with the top equipment for their level, but you can make it (it really depends on how much you want to spend).

I plodded away for a long time using the starters kit, and just set myself goals - finally I made Masters and had to upgrade! The key is to enjoy the journey and do not get caught up with averages etc.

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2015 3:50 PM

Alright, So I will just buy two wedges, probably the 50 and 77 as suggested above. Then maybe I'll buy a 3rd later?

I will probably also buy the 3WD and have that as well. Once I have the 3WD, wedges and putter then I will look at the balls. Then just wait till 48 for Driver and 59 for irons.

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2015 4:34 PM

low Level player might not need 3 wedges.

But getting to know every shot type with all 3 wedges , will prove it's worth in the long run.

It's a must to master and to have in the top end.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2015 10:20 PM

MrFunnyWobbl:
    Alright, So I will just buy two wedges, probably the 50 and 77 as suggested above. Then maybe I'll buy a 3rd later?

As my friend Jay stated, it's common to most players to replace the hybrid by a third wedge when the gap to the PW grows due to a new iron set, perparing for more precision in the short game by giving up some less important opportunities on the fairways.

Different to him, I'd propose a longer wedge then, 100+ yds, while the PW will be around 115. This also puts his plan for a 60 / 90 yds combo into a different light. Sorry to dissent, but it's the wrong way IMHO. To me, 50 / 75(77) or 60 / 80 are the better combos to start with.

Furthermore, when being  patient with the third, you may choose a higher level one, like the top Cleveland or ATV, taking profit from their better characteristics.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2015 11:00 PM

alosso:
    To me, 50 / 75(77) or 60 / 80 are the better combos to start with.

Yes I concur as a stepping stone solution but for a longer term solution (and of course higher costs for the player) a mix of 60/80/100 works for most higher range iron sets.

The best 2 combo to me would be 60/80 but I had a quick look and there is no 60 rated club at a lower price! Could be wrong but seems odd.

The key is learning to play all types of shots, especially punch. My wedge rates at 60 yards, punches 50 yards, but but adjusting the swing and spin, I use it for shots 25 - 55 yards. I sometimes punch from just off the green if in deep rough too...or a bunker.

The key is to experiment with all the shots, take notes if needed (as what works on one hole may not work on another. Please also note - every ball will vary the results so stick to one combination. 

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2015 11:37 PM

alanti:
    The best 2 combo to me would be 60/80 but I had a quick look and there is no 60 rated club at a lower price! Could be wrong but seems odd.

Yep :(

They broke up the Ping set which had been there so now there are only the expensive ATVs, 50/77, which - in dark days of the past - replaced the coveted and nicely priced Z Satins.

• PAGES
RSS