Forums

Help › Forums

Ping G10 8.0° or TaylorMade R9 TP 8.5° ?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Dec 1 2010 11:38 AM (5 replies)
  • stuffix
    762 Posts
    Tue, Nov 30 2010 4:15 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm considering buying a new driver. Two choices : the Ping G10 (L58) or the TaylorMade R9 (L62). I see there's extra yardage for the TaylorMade and a med trajectory instead of a med/high for the Ping.

So I'm wondering what's your take on those two clubs and which one you would recommend.

Thank you.

• philspace
    65 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2010 1:21 AM

Seems as though you made a decision already...

I would be curious though to hear from players owning both drivers which one they prefer.The R9 seems to offer extra yardage, while the G10 has better precision and also a higher trajectory. A matter of taste, tier, or tees (i.e. the course)?

• vespa1965
    212 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2010 2:47 AM

philspace:

I would be curious though to hear from players owning both drivers which one they prefer.The R9 seems to offer extra yardage, while the G10 has better precision and also a higher trajectory. A matter of taste, tier, or tees (i.e. the course)?

Used both extensively and I favoured the G10 from the Master tees, a good feel and I really liked it but since being stuck back on the Legend tees I found that loss of distance, albeit small, made a real difference, to me anyhow. I use the R9 now all the time and if your going to play long term and advance to the back tees, my choice would be to get the R9 but its up to you in the end.

Good Luck V

• stuffix
    762 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2010 3:13 AM

philspace:

Actually I didn't. I just rented it. ;)

Since I can manage the speed of the G10 with my actual tour-sd balls, I believe I'll stick to it unless someone tells me otherwise.

If I can manage to get to the legend tier, I'm sure WGT will be glad to offer me 280 yards driver. :)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2010 4:59 AM

Precision off the tee is a bit overrated IMO. The R9 forgives better, especially pushing the shot, and you will like this on mishits. Plus the lower trajectory isn't as affected by the wind and that driver will keep up with the Tri driver.

• ryan4spurs
    828 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2010 11:38 AM

I have the R9,Super Tri, G10 and i15 drivers and have to say that I only ever use the Super Tri these days. Partly due to it being the longest, but the Taylor Made drivers are both more forgiving than the Ping drivers.

Also with the trajectory of both Taylor Made drivers being medium, compared to the medium/high trajectory of both Ping drivers, the roll much more for even more distance off the tee.

RSS