Forums

Help › Forums

playing with a group

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 21 2010 8:12 AM (5 replies)
  • brotherjukebox
    27 Posts
    Thu, Nov 13 2008 4:38 PM

I have played & started play with many groups and most never get started! probably 90% can't connect. So being a computer tech i thought maybe someone should speak up. This program is flash which automatically means you must have a good connection at least 300k to 500k. Do not attempt to start a group, or play in one with other applications running. Make sure you are using flash 10 because it is the fastest flash player ever made. It's free at http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=DXLUJ

Make sure and delete temporary internet files daily! If you haven't cleaned your computer in months, then buy a can of computer cleaner and spray the fans and processor, which will make it run faster. Also defrag your computer if you haven't done so in awhile. Remember! flash uses a lot of resources, and many simply don't have a fast enough processor to run this program and chat programs at the same time. To join a group, or start one trying to launch four players with a slow computer or connection, just isn't going to happen! Don't even attempt to launch a game on dialup,because that won't happen either.

• Sabre1
    11 Posts
    Thu, Nov 13 2008 6:32 PM

You are so right!!! and thank you to Col Flanders for the link and the same advice!!! The adobe Flash 10 works much better for the game..., It sped up mybrand new computer .also there is a way to add the amount of memory in the flash player settings area...which allows the game to run quicker and it wont "pause"  after your swing..maybe brotherjuke or Col. Flanders could give that link to the rest of you as well...This info was very helpful, and made WGT so much more enjoyable!!! Thank you Both!!      SABRE 1    See you on the Links.........

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Thu, Nov 13 2008 8:27 PM
  • WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Fri, Nov 14 2008 9:39 AM

Just wanted to jump in here and caution everyone against clearing your cache every day. Our game depends on caching large files in temporary internet files, so clearing them everyday will mean having to download them again every day.

Sometimes clearing your cache helps to optimize gameplay and resolve issues after we make system updates, but other than that it shouldn't be done too often.

• brotherjukebox
    27 Posts
    Fri, Nov 14 2008 11:18 AM

that may be true, but i still delete mine everyday.

• plinthot
    7 Posts
    Sat, Aug 21 2010 8:12 AM

I have read many posts from many people pontificating about many solutions to slow loading times etc etc.

As for, "then buy a can of computer cleaner and spray the fans and processor, which will make it run faster", posted above by a "techie". I find myself asking the question, "where did you get your qualification and do you actualy repair anything you are presented with?" Nonsense! Stop spewing rubbish that just confuses people. Any computer, purchased in the last two years, be it a desktop or laptop system should run this game with onboard graphics, that means no graphics card, with ease! Anything bought in the last two years  should also have ample RAM.

The problem with multiple player games not loading is NOT a graphics problem, or a "dirty" system problem, it is a slow internet connection problem and nothing else. I have joined and hosted games where i have had to wait up to 2mins for a player to join me in the game! Clearing your cache every day should make no difference whatsoever if you have the required broadband speed for this game. It really is as simple as that.

The bottom line is, people who dont have the required connection speed should simply NOT be allowed to play in a multi player game. WGT should be warning players with slow internet that they need to up bandwidth in order to play. Or, as suggested above, they could show connection speed of players when joining a game allowing those of us blessed with fast broadband to opt out of the game offered. If anybody has ever played "age of empires" online, you would know what i am talking about with regard to an internet speed meter pre game.

Until then, i will be pulling my hair out and smashing my poor mouse. Please deal with this WGT, it is driving us bonkers.

RSS