Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Help.

Fri, Feb 6 2015 11:15 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • AshleyHelton
    11 Posts
    Sat, Jan 24 2015 5:32 AM

First thing you need to do is look at the green speed. Colors I pay no attention to simply the elevation difference for example 10" up or 10" down.  after that it's a simple equation for me...I add one foot per inch of up elevation or minus one foot per down, that's for standard speed greens so I compensate by feel for slower or faster than standard. 

As for break it's mostly all feel, watch the speed of the grid movement, over four feet I'll move my aiming marker according to how many dots and how fast they move. it's a gut feeling really. Putts inside four feet or extremely slow movement on the grid I will just compensate with my swing meter and not move my aiming marker. 

Personally I like fast greens, seems I can judge everything better and with more touch. The slower greens make me feel sort of barbaric having to smash putts and I still end up short on many putts outside the five or six foot range. Slow greens also seem to exponentiate the equation, say I have a five footer I will hit the ball at the six or seven foot meter mark but on a 20 footer I will have to hit it on the 24 or 25 foot mark.

• AshleyHelton
    11 Posts
    Sat, Jan 24 2015 5:58 AM

One more thing and perhaps the most important basic rule I have for putting is which side of the "excellent" mark on the swing meter you strike. If the putt is breaking to the left I always try to hit to the right of the excellent mark and vice versa. That's which way the ball will move at the start of the putt. You will make far more putts if you help your chosen line. Say if I am aiming right for a left breaking putt and hit it a smidge to the right of perfect I may have a one footer for my second put, if I hit it a smidge to the left of center I may end up with a four footer, a much more dangerous putt for par. You'll get lucky far more times following this rule as you may not have read the line perfect or strike the ball exactly how you want but it still has a chance to go in where as not following nearly eliminates any chance the ball will go in. 

• AshleyHelton
    11 Posts
    Sat, Jan 24 2015 6:03 AM

One more tip is if the view allows you to see the ball roll past the hole on an approach shot or missed putt watch it intensely, Nothing will give you a better read. 

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 9:51 AM

Remarkable advice from someone who has been at WGT for less than a month.
    Then I looked at your stats - WOW - 6 sub-par rounds on your very first day.
    You are obviously a phenomenal player or too good to be true!!

• TantitNice
    10 Posts
    Mon, Jan 26 2015 7:53 AM

A good rule of thumb is for every inch of elevation change add / subtract one foot to the calculation. For example; a 20 foot putt with 12" elevation change would equal a putt distance of 32' (if up), 8' (if down). 

The above is based on green speed of 9, there are several formulas I have seen that people use to acount for green speeds, but mostly thats expierence, just have to get out there and roll it.

• welshgolfer56667
    29 Posts
    Fri, Feb 6 2015 8:14 AM

cheers

• lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Fri, Feb 6 2015 11:15 AM

Wheels65:

Remarkable advice from someone who has been at WGT for less than a month.
    Then I looked at your stats - WOW - 6 sub-par rounds on your very first day.
    You are obviously a phenomenal player or too good to be true!!

+1 Not only that but made Master tier in 22 days of starting . 

Also: 64 ranked rounds

76.50 Driving Acc.

83.75 G.I.R.

3 Top 10 finishes

8 Top 100

Wish I could have been playing that good after only 22 days of play . They should be on Legend tier by the end of this month . Boy I can hardly wait . :-)

• PAGES
RSS