Wedges, the more the better?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 21 2010 9:01 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2010 9:06 AM

Hello all

I really wanted some input on Wedges.  I have gotten pretty good with the ones I'm currently carrying.  Currently I'm a level 48, made Master yesterday.  I have the idea that I may eventually revamp the club setup that I have been using for roughly 6 months.  6 months ago I abandond the Hybrid and added another wedge...I just didn't see the need for a hybrid that hit 200 yards when I had an Iron that hit 190, and a Wood that hit 225.  I don't spen enough time in the rough to worry about getting out of it with a Hybrid.  So my current club distance is as such:

• Driver: 257 yards,
    • Wood: 225 yards,
    • Irons: 90-190 yards,
    • 58 degree wedge: 86 yards,
    • 60 degree wedge: 75 yards,
    • 64 degree wedge: 60 yards

Now, I know what you are thinking...why do you carry an 86 yard wedge when you have a 90 yard Iron...well it's because I can't use that Iron in flop shots...I like to have the 31 yard flop shot in my bag...I use it alot around the green...especially on par 5 approach.

I'm considering a complete club revamp at level 60, which would include replacing my Wood with another Wedge, and getting longer Irons, it would look like this:

• Driver: 270 yards (level 58)
    • Irons: 115-210 yards (level 59)
    • 54 degree wedge: 105 yards (level 60)
    • 56 degree wedge: 90 yards
    • 60 degree wedge: 75 yards
    • 64 degree wedge: 60 yards

While I loose my distance from the Wood, I have increased my Driver distance, which will be the most important issue to address as I continue to improve.  I also will develop a 40 yard flop shot...which as you probably have figured out is a favorite of mine.  This helps close a gap in my distance between the 31 yard flop that I have now, and the 60 yard full swing wedge.  Being accurate, is more important than being long...in my personal opinion.

My question is this...is anyone else using the 4 wedge club setup right now? And if you are, how is it working for you?

Thanks....Longwedge

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2010 9:16 AM

You'll get a resounding "go for it" from Yankee Jim on the 4 wedges instead of 3 issue. I think it is appropriate for certain 9s, under certain conditions but have always preferred to carry the 3 wood, particularly from the Legend tees.

Have a look at Jakestanfill's post in the 30 Yard thread, there's a man who knows his wedges, shot selection and distances inside out and knows how to set up his bag for maximum effect....

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2010 11:29 AM

tiffer67:

Have a look at Jakestanfill's post in the 30 Yard thread, there's a man who knows his wedges, shot selection and distances inside out and knows how to set up his bag for maximum effect....

tiffer,

I was actually involved in that thread, and while I consider Jake to be an elite player for sure, but he isn't a fan of the flop shot that I am.  I'm very comfortable with the shot, and have holed several from 19-35 yards out, and it has gotten me to within a couple of feet to 1 putt,  when I wasn't able to reach longer par 4's.  I'm sure that I end up just short of the green, or in a greenside bunker, or greenside rough... more often than he does.  I appreciate the input.

Long

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2010 11:52 AM

No problem Long. I use the flop shot a lot too ,although I have to say that anything over 25 yards I find difficult to judge and therefore on those distances I tend not to play it.

Although I have holed many flop shots I do think that chipping and pitching offer a better chance of holing out, when you have mastered the distance control.

This is the best thing about the forum. It's great to read about how others tackle any given shot, shots that you very often think you've got sussed, only to discover others play it in a completely different manner......

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2010 12:24 PM

I think a 50 yard wedge is needed there.  Having 4 wedges leaves a big gap at the top end though.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2010 2:04 PM

tiffer nailed it, LW. It took me about a month when I first joined before I went to the 4th wedge and have been there ever since. I have all Satins, 110, 90,77 and 50. The 110 and the 50 are the most used even though I have the i15s with the 115 yd wedge. The Satin kills the set wedge. The 90 is a Master wedge and the stats say it's the same as the other good wedges but it's not. It isn't affected by rough lies like the other ones are. The 77 gets punched 90% of the time and the 50 gets flopped more than it doesn't.

While Legends might say the added distance of the courses makes for need for the fairway wood I say it depends on how you play. With a 3i that goes 215+ (more often plus than not) the trade off of the wood for the wedge is simple for me. The low end coverage is excellent when you use all the shot options. Granted, eagles become birdies at the TM level and some birdies will be pars at Legend for the most part. I do expect this strategy to come under scrutiny when I make Legend but I suspect it won't change. The i15 3W would be what I went for if I thought it necessary but I'm not expecting it to be. LOL-I'll be a 66-68 average golfer in any tier regardless of what I do so it isn't a big deal. (I did Q at Oakmont with 4 wedges.)

In the end you have to decide what is best for your game. Do you want to be like Jake, Bollox, ALee, et al? Heh-don't listen to me. If you want to enjoy the hell out of the game do as I do-learn what you can do with your clubs, stick with it and develop the "feel" for playing your own game. You will get to a point where a lot of things will become instinctive. You're not going to beat the Beast or VEM or deviations so trying to get exact is an exercise in frustration. Go with the flow and have the capability to adjust. This is just my lazy-ass opinion because my game is always from the seat of my pants and changes like moods do. I get away with it because I know my clubs. GL

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2010 4:16 PM

YankeeJim:

tiffer nailed it, LW. It took me about a month when I first joined before I went to the 4th wedge and have been there ever since. I have all Satins, 110, 90,77 and 50. The 110 and the 50 are the most used even though I have the i15s with the 115 yd wedge. The Satin kills the set wedge. The 90 is a Master wedge and the stats say it's the same as the other good wedges but it's not. It isn't affected by rough lies like the other ones are. The 77 gets punched 90% of the time and the 50 gets flopped more than it doesn't.

While Legends might say the added distance of the courses makes for need for the fairway wood I say it depends on how you play. With a 3i that goes 215+ (more often plus than not) the trade off of the wood for the wedge is simple for me. The low end coverage is excellent when you use all the shot options. Granted, eagles become birdies at the TM level and some birdies will be pars at Legend for the most part. I do expect this strategy to come under scrutiny when I make Legend but I suspect it won't change. The i15 3W would be what I went for if I thought it necessary but I'm not expecting it to be. LOL-I'll be a 66-68 average golfer in any tier regardless of what I do so it isn't a big deal. (I did Q at Oakmont with 4 wedges.)

In the end you have to decide what is best for your game. Do you want to be like Jake, Bollox, ALee, et al? Heh-don't listen to me. If you want to enjoy the hell out of the game do as I do-learn what you can do with your clubs, stick with it and develop the "feel" for playing your own game. You will get to a point where a lot of things will become instinctive. You're not going to beat the Beast or VEM or deviations so trying to get exact is an exercise in frustration. Go with the flow and have the capability to adjust. This is just my lazy-ass opinion because my game is always from the seat of my pants and changes like moods do. I get away with it because I know my clubs. GL

So with my 3 iron that goes 210, should I ditch the 3 wood and add another wedge? I only use the 3 wood on long par 3's and I might be able to get by without it.  Also, if you don't think I need the 3 wood, what 4 wedges should I carry?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2010 7:25 PM

KingOfTheCourse:
    So with my 3 iron that goes 210, should I ditch the 3 wood and add another wedge? I only use the 3 wood on long par 3's and I might be able to get by without it.  Also, if you don't think I need the 3 wood, what 4 wedges should I carry?

You're a Legend and have to deal with things I don't so I can't say what would work for you. I intend to stay with exactly what I have when I get there until I see the need to change it. From what I am hearing and reading about the Legend tier, the approach shots are what change. You're faced with longer irons into faster greens so I would imagine you're going to find yourself in all sorts of different close up lies, just where the wedges are needed most.

Until I get there this is all conjecture.  :-)

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2010 8:00 PM

I never carry a 3W anymore. The fourth wedge is a great tool no matter which one it is.

• aussieguyadam
    602 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2010 8:31 PM

driver,3wood or hybrid,irons 115-215>> i15s or g10s  115-210  100,75,50 wedges in my opinion covers gaps sufficient  enough with 25 spacing and 15 after 100 pw 115 gets all the spin u need pretty much right up to 7 iron...hybrid great for that light rough u be suprised how much its used.

• PAGES
RSS