Forums

Help › Forums

UEL Ryder Cup@Olympic: Jan24-Feb16

Sat, Feb 14 2015 8:35 PM (278 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Feb 14 2015 9:39 AM

And here is the FINAL score for the UEL Ryder Cup @ Olympic!

Team ROW regain the Cup, matching the winning margin by which Team USA won @ Pinehurst last Fall. 

Team USA 8.5 :: Team ROW 15.5 

Here's the overview (right-click to open large in new window): 

Thank you everyone for a hard-fought and exciting competition!

I'd like to offer special thanks to both captains, ColumbusStorm and fmagnets, who gave up considerable amounts of their time to help with the running of the event, and to all those players who offered Twitch streaming and archived matches (links are here to the right of the event scorecard), and to those who managed to provide running commentary in the Chatzy room as well. I know how hard it is to multi-task and focus on your own play, so all those contributions were very much appreciated.

The Trophy is currently at the engravers and will be presented shortly, after which Team ROW members may adorn their profile pages with the Ryder Cup!

Please look out for the next UEL Tour. It will be in a new thread in the Tournaments section entitled UEL Spring Tour, and should be set up in the next couple of weeks. It will run for 12 weeks, and be the basis of qualification for both teams for the next UEL Ryder Cup, to be held in September/October @ Chambers Bay. Players who wish to make the team will just need to play in the free weekly single-play UEL 18 hole tourney.

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Sat, Feb 14 2015 9:46 AM

Thanks Corwyn for doing all the setup work yet again, and congrats RoW on a well deserved win!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Feb 14 2015 10:01 AM

You're welcome mm!

----------------------------------

And here, too, is the final wrap-up of the Stats Page, showing how we all did:

Special congratulations to fmagnets and KonradOse, for gaining maximum points in their matches... and to Priestess and Saurabh08 on Team ROW, and GolferDadRB on Team USA as the other unbeaten players.

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Sat, Feb 14 2015 10:06 AM

Congratulations to ROW on a very convincing win and very well played.

Thank you to Corwyn for organizing another great tournament. This was the smoothest running UEL RC yet, and is definitely due to Corwyn's organization and everyone's commitment to the tournament.

I was really impressed with everyone's dedication to getting their rounds played and everyone seemed to truly enjoy the experience of playing in this tournament.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Sat, Feb 14 2015 10:23 AM

Huge thanks from me to Captain America and his team for an excellent quality of matches played in the right spirit. Well done to my all-star team for their diligent practice and preparation. And let's not forget the subs who were waiting in the wings should anyone have dropped out.

The biggest thanks of all go, of course, to Corwyn. It's amazing to see how his passion for ROW success does not interfere with his steadfast impartiality when setting up the matches. All the matches were completed without the need for subs, which is testament to his organisation and to the punctuality and determination of both sides.

• fredsf
    1,460 Posts
    Sat, Feb 14 2015 2:19 PM

Congratulations ROW on a well deserved win, you guys were a tough crew to beat. I just can't tell how I like this event and I look forward to playing the spring tour, hoping I'll be part of the next edition.

Bravo mags for the great captain you've been in this event. Thanks a lot to Russ who, obviously, made some good moves after the fourball debacle (if it's a word in english lol) Again thanks for your pick that allowed me to play it, I hope you're not too disappointed with this choice ;)

Finally, special thanks to Corwyn for his dedication. We all owe you the pleasure to share this Ryder cup and we all owe you to meet great guys to play with, even beside the event.

Let's go get the cup back home Team USA!!!!!

• kersh1976
    2,790 Posts
    Sat, Feb 14 2015 3:09 PM

I would like to say, what a pleasure it has been seeing you super dooper players show us how it is done. I've learnt more in these last few weeks watching the streamed games than I have in my 4 years playing on here. Well played to everyone. And finally, Corwyn  fantastic how you have organised it all. You have put WGT to shame in the way you have shown how a tournament should be run.

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Sat, Feb 14 2015 4:30 PM

Corwyn:

Well, we served up a bit of a nail-biter for the last match...

... at least, it was a nail-biter for me, lol!

For anyone who doesn't want to know the result... don't read on. Instead watch the archived stream here.

-----------------------------------

Until the wobblies took over that was some of the best tee to green play I've had at Oly... but my putting was at times woeful. Ben wasn't anywhere on song either with the flat-blade, but at least we offered up an exciting, if bizarre, contest.

Thank you Ben for an enjoyable match, and to everyone who watched along on Twitch. And huge thanks to Ben for streaming. It's such a wonderful addition to events here on WGT.

You're most welcome, Corwyn.  That was the most enjoyable match I've ever played.  We'll have to do it again!  You are truly a wizard with those outmoded irons.

Twitching was a revelation.  I believe that the majority of the discussion regarding Twitch elsewhere on this site has been in the wrong context.  It has a higher use, and that is to bring the social aspect of our game to another level.  I strongly encourage everybody to try it.  It might take a little bit of time to get the settings dialed in, but ultimately it is well worth it.  It's fun!  Hopefully, next time there will be no dark matches.

Many thanks to Russ and Mags for taking the time to lead their respective teams, and, of course, thanks to Corwyn for, well, everything!  Maybe it's due to the calendar, but I'm going to get all sappy if I don't stop!  And speaking of the calendar...I better get (literally) cooking!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Feb 14 2015 8:35 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind words!

Everyone's commitment and clear communication really helped make this one of the easiest, and most smooth-running events I've had the pleasure of being involved in here.

and ... drumroll please ...

Corwyn:
    The Trophy is currently at the engravers and will be presented shortly, after which Team ROW members may adorn their profile pages with the Ryder Cup!

Johnny (WigerToods2010) has done us proud once again, and volunteered his expert engraving services to prepare the UEL Ryder Cup Trophy, presented now to the winning ROW Team:

Congratulations again to Team ROW!

RSS