Forums

Help › Forums

I thought I'd share a few observations

Sun, Nov 14 2010 10:23 PM (8 replies)
  • 68mustangfan
    36 Posts
    Fri, Nov 12 2010 12:48 PM

These observations are from the Bethpage back nine using a GI3-S ball with moderate wind.

Green-side bunker shots require about 10 more yards of power than a shot from the fairway. Shots from the second cut of rough require about 5 more yards of power

The next is for those who don't mind doing a simple calculation before a shot. Credit for this goes to the users hbthree and pillsy who came up with it

After you adjust your shot for the break and uphill or downhill lie multiply your distance by a certain percentage. For Bethpage on very fast greens it's 90% (so if your shot has to go 20 feet multiply that by .9 and you'll get 18 feet). Using this simple calculation my putts that didn't sink still consistently came within a couple feet of the hole making for an easy next putt. Keep in mind that, like I mentioned earlier, this is for Bethpage Black on very fast greens. You'll need to adjust this percentage for other courses and green speeds, but that's easy. Just try different percentages till you get putts consistently close to or in the hole.

If you have any other observations you don't mind sharing feel free to post them here

• waynewhitetiger
    113 Posts
    Fri, Nov 12 2010 1:10 PM

I find this chart handy...with Rossa putter and Legend balls

GREEN SPEED                 Calc.

CHAMPIONSHIP                0.72

TOURNAMENT                   0.76

VERY FAST                         0.85

FAST                                    0.93

SLOW                                  1.20  

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Fri, Nov 12 2010 1:12 PM

68mustangfan:

These observations are from the Bethpage back nine using a GI3-S ball with moderate wind.

Green-side bunker shots require about 10 more yards of power than a shot from the fairway. Shots from the second cut of rough require about 5 more yards of power

The next is for those who don't mind doing a simple calculation before a shot. Credit for this goes to the users hbthree and pillsy who came up with it

After you adjust your shot for the break and uphill or downhill lie multiply your distance by a certain percentage. For Bethpage on very fast greens it's 90% (so if your shot has to go 20 feet multiply that by .9 and you'll get 18 feet). Using this simple calculation my putts that didn't sink still consistently came within a couple feet of the hole making for an easy next putt. Keep in mind that, like I mentioned earlier, this is for Bethpage Black on very fast greens. You'll need to adjust this percentage for other courses and green speeds, but that's easy. Just try different percentages till you get putts consistently close to or in the hole.

If you have any other observations you don't mind sharing feel free to post them here

It is much easier to subtract the percentage for the distance For me I calculate each green speed as such 

Slow add 10%

fast I play the same as standard with no changes

Very fast subtract 10% for uphill and 15% for down hill and flat

tournament subtract 25% for uphill 30% for flat and downhill and 35% for extreme downhill.

It may not be perfect but it seems to work for me.

• 68mustangfan
    36 Posts
    Fri, Nov 12 2010 2:38 PM

waynewhitetiger:

Does that apply to all courses?

• palupear
    50 Posts
    Fri, Nov 12 2010 2:57 PM

I haven't done a scientific study, but it seems to me that St. Andrews and maybe Kiawah slow your ball more on uphill putts for the same "green speed" and distance indicated.  Kiawah seems to have clingier fringe on putts as well (takes more energy to get it rolling).  Like I said, I'm not sure, but I think wgt programs different characteristics for all the courses that you can only discover with very particular experiences, shot-by-shot (since there are no written indicators).  With the randomness built in as well, they require lots of rounds (and balls purchased) for a player to gain this experience.  All the knowledge shared by generous Legends is really helpful in this regard.

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Fri, Nov 12 2010 8:35 PM

68mustangfan:

need to put some inflammable lubricant on your slide ruler so it wont burst into flames figuring out how to make your next shot.  what happened to interpreting all of the necessary influences and make a rational judgement of what was required to accomplish a desired goal.  this is not rocket science.  my 2 cents.

• sdorr
    650 Posts
    Fri, Nov 12 2010 9:33 PM

no doubt, every course has different speeds even though the "green speed" terms are the same and even then, they seem to differ slightly depending on whatever, it is still a mystery to me at times. Just for grins, I have been writing down all of my putting adventures trying to get some kind of handle on what percentage I need to apply for level, slight uphill, slight downhill, major uphill putts, etc. for all four 18 hole courses. I am already on page 2 of legal size paper and they vary from day to day, even sometimes, hole to hole on the same course. All four courses differ in speeds and I have concluded that I will go mad trying to figure out exactly what force to use at any one time on any one course. The good news is that I am happy to be within 5 feet of the hole at any given time. What I really have trouble with is the really long putts on the tournament speed greens. Say I have an 85 ft. flat putt, if I use my "calculations" for the shorter distances, I end up 35 ft. or more beyond the hole. It would seem that the longer the putt, the HARDER you would have to hit it, but it is just the opposite, you have to hit the ball softer to go farther. This just seem to defy logic. OH WELL, one must deal with what one is dealt with.

• waynewhitetiger
    113 Posts
    Sat, Nov 13 2010 4:14 PM

68mustangfan:

waynewhitetiger:

Does that apply to all courses?

Except for Oakmont.....Probably because I simply hate those greens.

Works well on all others.

• 68mustangfan
    36 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2010 10:23 PM

Oakmont is my least favorite course, I always end up in the 40s there and most of that is from 3- or 4-putting certain holes :(

I'm pretty decent on everything else though.

RSS