Help › Forums

Practice Putting Green?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Nov 15 2010 6:23 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • marshu
    3 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2010 11:56 AM

Is there a practice green anywhere in this game? If not, can te creators of this online world put one up?

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2010 4:53 PM

There is no practice green.  I would suggest setting up a practice round and then getting to a green as soon as possible and using the maximum shots per hole to practice your putting.

Cheers,

b0gey

• marshu
    3 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2010 7:10 PM

I know this is a beta version of this game but you guys create the graphics for a lot of courses and putting a simple putting green online is not that difficult. Telling me to play a practice round and then put around on each green is not what I or anyone else is trying to experience here and is, quite frankly, a pretty lame answer.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2010 8:43 PM

What are you trying to experience?  What will a putting green get you?  Distance control?  It would serve the same purpose as your local courses putting green.  To see how fast the greens are rolling on any given day and to limber up.  

What a putting green won't teach you is the nooks and crannies of every green. That is why what I suggested can be very helpful.  It also allows you to find out where you don't want to end up on a green.

So if that is lame that is your opinion, but none the less,  it is all you have right now.  

Cheers,

b0gey

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Mon, Nov 8 2010 5:37 AM

b0gey, as ever you were only trying to help. However the point still stands that it shouldn't be difficult to sort out a practice putting green. They could even just take one of the existing greens from any of the courses and have that as a place you can putt your days away on.

• bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Mon, Nov 8 2010 5:59 AM

I think Marshu probably thought b0gey was on the staff at WGT.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Mon, Nov 8 2010 6:55 AM

bluescouse:

I think Marshu probably thought b0gey was on the staff at WGT.

An easy mistake to make, lol....

• marshu
    3 Posts
    Mon, Nov 8 2010 8:57 AM

Indeed, I did think b0gey was a staff member and I was only trying to make a suggestion that improves this venue for all of us. Apologies about my short temper in my last thread.

I like the idea of taking an existing green and making it available as a practice putting surface. Sometimes what I most want  is to work on aspects of my game - putting, irons, chipping, drives - just like I do outside of my avatar life. Yes, I can simply play practice rounds and put around on a green with my 10 available strokes but it's really not quite the same as practicing on a single aspect of my game.

Setting up a putting green or a driving range as I saw suggested in another thread shouldn't be that difficult, gives users what they want and are asking for and more closely resembles the experience I go through when I head down to my local driving range.

Just trying to improve my game here.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Mon, Nov 8 2010 9:10 AM

marshu:

I know this is a beta version of this game but you guys create the graphics for a lot of courses and putting a simple putting green online is not that difficult. Telling me to play a practice round and then put around on each green is not what I or anyone else is trying to experience here and is, quite frankly, a pretty lame answer.

actually doing it the way bogey says it the best way. You are actually practicing your putting on the greens that you play on. And you can learn how they break and if you keep notes it will make your short game much better. All a putting green would do is show you how tell ball rolls off your putter and the distances you can get with each meter. You can do that just as well in a practice and study the greens you will actually be playing on. Makes sense?

• mav0821
    1 Posts
    Mon, Nov 15 2010 7:17 AM

After reading through the conversation I thought of an idea, simple or not, that should at least be discussed with the creators/designers of the beta version.  I'm not sure if anyone has connections with them or if they read these forums.

They have already built in "Closest to the pin" challenges in order to simulate approach shots.  These challenges simply place you in a position on one of the built in course.  Why couldn't they do the same thing for "Driving Challenge" and "Put it in the hole" type of simulations.  Simply design simulations for a few of the courses, so you only hit nine tee shots, nine approach shots (already available), or nine greens with putts of various distances.

That's just what came to thought from reading your threads, but I think it would be a great idea that many players would use to perfect their game without wasting a lot of time playing shots their not really wanting to practice on... and it would be on the same tee boxes and greens that we play in the game.

• PAGES
RSS