Forums

Help › Forums

Wind and Elevation calculations - For Mac Users (request for help)

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 13 2015 8:17 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Stefano0178
    200 Posts
    Wed, Nov 12 2014 11:40 AM

Hello everyone.

I know that there are a few very good tools to help players in calculating how the wind will affect your shot. My problem is that all those tools are Windows based, and I can't use them (like I can't use VGG Caddy, for the same reasons: no big deal, Shot Pal and Putter Pal are just fine!).

I'm bold enough to think I could write something usable on mac, but my big problem is that I don't have a good set of formulas and multipliers in order to calculate the compensation for the wind and possibly the elevation change.

Some time ago I found a post on the forums with a formula that stated something like: wind * distance/100 , with the addition of a * 0.7 if the wind was in the 45° angle and not straight or cross.

Is there any other possible formula that I could use? If not, I'll stick with those numbers, because they seems quite right, but In order to make a good app, I'd like to be sure.

Thanks for all the suggestions you'll made.

Stefano

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Thu, Nov 13 2014 5:18 PM

Stefano0178:

Hello everyone.

I know that there are a few very good tools to help players in calculating how the wind will affect your shot. My problem is that all those tools are Windows based, and I can't use them (like I can't use VGG Caddy, for the same reasons: no big deal, Shot Pal and Putter Pal are just fine!).

I'm bold enough to think I could write something usable on mac, but my big problem is that I don't have a good set of formulas and multipliers in order to calculate the compensation for the wind and possibly the elevation change.

Some time ago I found a post on the forums with a formula that stated something like: wind * distance/100 , with the addition of a * 0.7 if the wind was in the 45° angle and not straight or cross.

Is there any other possible formula that I could use? If not, I'll stick with those numbers, because they seems quite right, but In order to make a good app, I'd like to be sure.

Thanks for all the suggestions you'll made.

Stefano

i personally don't use any formula/etc but i am sure someone will be able to give you some ideas!

• julplant
    203 Posts
    Mon, Feb 2 2015 10:48 PM

Stephan,

Guess o meter is the best formula what so ever ;)

Just to let you know, there is a "Swingmate" on Mac, based on Flash & Air...

Guess you can find it easily via Google.

I've only tried it for it's putting rule a year ago... I think you could inspire yourself with this basis.

• Victoria47
    629 Posts
    Tue, Feb 3 2015 7:39 AM

ooooh ,don't touch that site,,,,its full of crap and you will have some issues to get clean again!!!

• Premed
    776 Posts
    Tue, Feb 3 2015 8:35 AM

Just wondering Icon, do you play much - as your profile shows that you have only 23 ranked rounds since Oct 2010. Perhaps you need to get a bit more experience of game play to better relate to members issues. _ or maybe ur Icon account is for the purposes of posting on the forums etc. coz i cant see any recent game play activity on your account

In which case do you have another account (you dont have to reveal yr usr name :)  ). But if u do would that make you a multi account er ??

(small giggle)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Feb 3 2015 8:54 AM

Stefano0178:
    I know that there are a few very good tools to help players in calculating how the wind will affect your shot.

If you notify DaddysKat, she developed a program known as "Kat's Calculator" which is probably the best for the asking...I am lazy, so if it has elevation up I hit a little more, if it is down, I hit a little less. I do the same with my wind ;-}

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Tue, Feb 3 2015 8:57 AM

The wind vectors follow the laws of trigonometry.

If you paid attention in school...that stuff about Sine and Cosine (that you probably thought you'd never need), comes in really handy when trying to figure the effect of the wind on your shot.

@ Premed -- Icon's alter-ego is Iconian, a well-respected veteran player.  He's definitely got the skills to play the game at a high level...and also to relate to members' issues.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Tue, Feb 3 2015 9:15 AM

Premed:
    In which case do you have another account (you dont have to reveal yr usr name :)  ). But if u do would that make you a multi account er ??

Most of us know his other account as he was a player long before he became a mod. His player account is Iconian, the player that wrote the superb chipping and pitching guide. 

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Tue, Feb 3 2015 9:15 AM

Premed:

Just wondering Icon, do you play much - as your profile shows that you have only 23 ranked rounds since Oct 2010. Perhaps you need to get a bit more experience of game play to better relate to members issues. _ or maybe ur Icon account is for the purposes of posting on the forums etc. coz i cant see any recent game play activity on your account

(small giggle)

I wouldn't bother reporting him...

http://www.twitch.tv/wgtgolf/profile/past_broadcasts

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, Feb 4 2015 1:16 AM

yep yep. this is my test account and such :).

I use it to test low end tiers, and other interesting things and once in a while when I am bored, I play of short tees... although I actually play better off longer tees.

feel free to reach out to me privately if you have any further questions:)

-wgticon

• PAGES
RSS