Help › Forums

Saturated @ Tour Master: 50 ranked rounds

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 29 2015 9:47 PM (21 replies)
  • CanineSupervisor
    1,882 Posts
    Mon, Nov 10 2014 1:49 PM

PaulTon:

The course is St. Andrews Golf Links, you may be getting confused with The Royal and Ancient Golf Club, which is the private club based at the public links.

Maybe you should explain to him they are like the USGA, Paul. In that, together with the United States Golf Association, The R&A governs the game worldwide, jointly administering the Rules of Golf, Rules of Amateur Status and Equipment.

The R&A is a seperate organization from St Andrews Links, as Paul said.

• BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Tue, Nov 11 2014 10:26 PM

PaulTon:

The course is St. Andrews Golf Links, you may be getting confused with The Royal and Ancient Golf Club, which is the private club based at the public links.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize that there was both a private club and a public course at the same place in Scotland. Regardless of what you want to call it, I find it ironic that WGT lists it as a 4 out of 5 on the difficulty meter, yet nearly 25% of my current top 50 scores were shot in Fife, Scotland.

ScottHope:
    One way of getting your scores range to grow automatically (dynamic range) is to convert it to a table. Two of the features of tables is that you can filter & sort the data and also have a totals row at the bottom which can contain an average formula that updates automatically as you enter new data.

Yikes. I think that is a bit advanced for a spread sheet n00b like myself. Basically anything more complicated than =Sum or =Average is going to be a real head scratcher for me. Maybe sometime this weekend I can look online for a 'SEE SPOT RUN' type of tutorial, but for now I think my simple little workbook is doing the job just fine.

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Wed, Nov 12 2014 1:57 AM

BigInigoMontoya:
    Yikes. I think that is a bit advanced for a spread sheet n00b like myself. Basically anything more complicated than =Sum or =Average is going to be a real head scratcher for me.
    It might look a bit scary but it only takes a couple of clicks. If you do venture into it I would suggest making a copy of your scores workbook and experiment with the copy.

• BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Mon, Jul 27 2015 7:27 AM

Epic shameless necro bump!!!!

I currently have an additional 145 qualifying ranked rounds since my last post in this thread. The good news is, I've managed to shave a full 3 strokes off my stroke play average. My 'true' average as a Tour Master is now 67.07179, and I'm saturated at 63.78. The bad news is my saturated average is now 'saturated' in a sense. I have to shoot a 64 just to improve on my average, and that is only going to get me a couple hundredths decrease IIRC. 64 is a full 8 strokes under par on the 'easy' courses (Andrews, Cabo, and Kiawah) and 6 under on the 'hard' ones. Certainly not impossible, but still quite difficult to Bird one out of every 3 holes at places like Oakmont, Olympic, Merion, Pinehurst, Bethpage, and Chambers.

Dont' get me wrong, I'm still enjoying the game as a Tour Master, and I'm hoping that the limited edition R1 and the new RSi's are going to tip the scales ever so slightly in my favor. I still have quite a ways to go, however, before I join the rest of y'all on the parking lot tees LOL.

Current saturated scores:

Congressional Country Club

18-Feb-15

St. Andrews Old Course

2-Mar-15

St. Andrews Old Course

18-Feb-15

St. Andrews Old Course

5-Dec-14

St. Andrews Old Course

28-Nov-14

St. Andrews Old Course

25-Nov-14

St. Andrews Old Course

15-Nov-14

St. Andrews Old Course

21-Sep-14

St. Andrews Old Course

18-Jul-15

Cabo del Sol

21-Feb-15

St. Andrews Old Course

20-Dec-14

Cabo del Sol

16-Nov-14

Cabo del Sol

4-Oct-14

St. Andrews Old Course

1-Oct-14

St. Andrews Old Course

28-Sep-14

St. Andrews Old Course

9-Sep-14

Cabo del Sol

27-Jul-15

St. Andrews Old Course

26-Feb-15

16-Feb-15

St. Andrews Old Course

9-Feb-15

The Olympic Club

3-Feb-15

25-Jan-15

St. Andrews Old Course

18-Nov-14

Kiawah Island

26-Sep-14

The Olympic Club

20-Sep-14

Oakmont

1-Mar-15

Oakmont

4-Mar-15

Oakmont

10-Mar-15

11-Mar-15

Royal Saint George's

27-Apr-15

The Olympic Club

27-Jun-15

St. Andrews Old Course

2-Jul-15

Pinehurst #2

26-Jul-15

St. Andrews Old Course

28-Jan-15

Royal Saint George's

30-Nov-14

Royal Saint George's

27-Nov-14

Kiawah Island

6-Nov-14

Kiawah Island

31-Oct-14

St. Andrews Old Course

23-Nov-14

17-Sep-14

Oakmont

16-Sep-14

Royal Saint George's

7-Sep-14

Kiawah Island

6-Sep-14

Kiawah Island

3-Mar-15

St. Andrews Old Course

5-Mar-15

Bethpage Black

11-Apr-15

Bethpage Black

8-Apr-15

St. Andrews Old Course

10-Jul-15

Kiawah Island

11-Jul-15

Chambers Bay

11-Jul-15

• Luciano18
    316 Posts
    Mon, Jul 27 2015 7:51 AM

BigInigoMontoya:
    still enjoying the game as a Tour Master, and I'm hoping that the limited edition R1 and the new RSi's are going to tip the scales ever so slightly in my favor.

BIM

thought I would just drop in to say "good on you"

Stay at TM as long as you can - with your confidence will increase - and the equipment helps also (LOL)

How are the RSI's - do they hold a better than the L79 Speeds ?

I myself was surprised by my rapid ascension through TM - basically I was there through Feb

Legend is (IMHO) a bigger jump than from Tour Pro to Master was

Keep hitting them straight

Luciano

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jul 27 2015 8:08 AM

BigInigoMontoya:
    I'm hoping that the limited edition R1 and the new RSi's are going to tip the scales ever so slightly in my favor.

Dropping that 3W and adding a 4th wedge will do more than tip the scales in your favor. You're at the driver/wedge stage of the game and that 3W you might use once a round could be replaced by a wedge that you'd use way more. 

4 wedges gives you 20 different shot distances for blanket coverage where it counts the most-getting up and down. Drive to a wedge, those birdies  become 2nd nature and the hole-outs will go up.  :-)

• razza31
    703 Posts
    Mon, Jul 27 2015 10:38 AM

YankeeJim:

BigInigoMontoya:
    I'm hoping that the limited edition R1 and the new RSi's are going to tip the scales ever so slightly in my favor.

Dropping that 3W and adding a 4th wedge will do more than tip the scales in your favor. You're at the driver/wedge stage of the game and that 3W you might use once a round could be replaced by a wedge that you'd use way more. 

4 wedges gives you 20 different shot distances for blanket coverage where it counts the most-getting up and down. Drive to a wedge, those birdies  become 2nd nature and the hole-outs will go up.  :-)

Yup especially with a 225 3i!

• BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2015 10:08 PM

Luciano18:

How are the RSI's - do they hold a better than the L79 Speeds ?

Luciano

Actually I never owned the SpeedBladez -- held on to the starters until level 79 and then went straight to the RocketBladez. The SpeedBladez had not yet been introduced at the time IIRC. Played the Bladez for a long while, then a TL gifted me the R11s. I didn't want his credits to be completely wasted so I tried to use them every now and then, but the meter speed just doesn't suit my usual play style of the starter ball. 

I've only had the RSi's for a little bit, but already I'm loving them. I've held the green on 17 at St Andrews with a starter ball. That hardly ever happened with the Bladez. I'm not 100% certain, but I think I may have even stayed below the pin at Bethpage 15, and I know that never happened with the old TaylorMades. I'm doing much better on the 4th at Kiawah also. I used to always struggle on that hole with my old clubs. I've yet to try them on Congressional, but if I can hold the green on 15 I'll be happier than a pig in slop LOL.

• BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Tue, Jul 28 2015 10:19 PM

YankeeJim:

I suppose on certain courses, I could probably get away with dropping the 3 wood. There are some places I will still want it however, like a stiff headwind on the 3rd at Merion, or one of the dog legs on F9 Olympic where driver is too much club.  4 or 5 IIRC. But right now, I need to get better with the wedges I have before I can justify 1600 credits on a 4th wedge. Usually I either get lucky and knock one inside 3 feet, or I undershoot/overshoot by a good 10 feet - there is rarely an 'in-between.' 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2015 6:15 AM

BigInigoMontoya:
    I could probably get away with dropping the 3 wood.

It's not about getting away with anything, the point is to force yourself to think. Those holes you mentioned will play just fine with a 3i or a punched driver but they aren't the norm. What they do do is force you to be creative with your shotmaking and this, in turn, makes you a much better golfer from the back tees when you get there.

If that punched driver doesn't make the green you get to practice getting up and down from the rough. The shorter tee off on those doglegs puts a long iron in your hand for the approach. This is the norm from the back tees. Missing the green should not be something that scares you because you shouldn't be afraid of your short game. No 3W enhances this learning experience and will pay big dividends when you get to Legend.

You're in a learning mode and it's too easy to fall back on a safe route and fall into a rut. Taking that 3W out of your bag takes away something of a security blanket. If you want to hang around the TM circuit and be one of the top TMs then this idea is pointless. I suspect you don't want that so use your time as a TM to take advantage of the shorter tees

RSS