Forums

Help › Forums

A little silly tip about putting

Thu, Nov 18 2010 2:58 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Oct 29 2010 4:22 PM

You might think this to be a bit silly, but for awhile now I've been putting without moving the flagstick for direction. What I do is stop the metre before or after the line depending on the direction and how fast the slope is.

In conjuction with the great 'Putting Tip' in this section, it has been working! It might take a bit of getting used to, but it does work.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Fri, Oct 29 2010 4:35 PM

mantis0014:

You might think this to be a bit silly, but for awhile now I've been putting without moving the flagstick for direction. What I do is stop the metre before or after the line depending on the direction and how fast the slope is.

In conjuction with the great 'Putting Tip' in this section, it has been working! It might take a bit of getting used to, but it does work.

Actually there are many players who use this type of putting. If it works for you then good. I just can't putt like that I have tried and it's just not for me.

• shortstroke25
    116 Posts
    Fri, Oct 29 2010 4:50 PM

I have done that from the very start of my WGT career,tryed moving it to start with didn't work for me learned to putt not moving it at all, don't make all but close most of time.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Fri, Oct 29 2010 5:29 PM

Same here, I know many will say you have to get used to moving the aiming point but for me I shot better by playing the roll left and right. but remember when you do this you have to adjust your speed for this. If you are not good at judging speed then this method is not for you.

• johnloaves
    126 Posts
    Fri, Oct 29 2010 8:08 PM

ive never moved it putting

or for shot off the green but.....

few days ago i started (not for putting)

and i think it does make it better

• philspace
    65 Posts
    Thu, Nov 18 2010 8:28 AM

I used not to bother about moving the aimer, but I've now changed my mind (except for very short putts <3 ft). It's painful at the moment though, since it means learning to putt from scratch!

The main reason for my change of mind is that there are plenty of greens where the break will be so fast that even if you hit the ball at the very extreme right or left of the meter you will fail to get the ball near the cup. You can try to compensate by increasing the speed, but if you don't manage to hole the putt it'll go waaay beyond and you're looking at a second putt which may be even longer and more treacherous than the first one.

• waynewhitetiger
    113 Posts
    Thu, Nov 18 2010 10:39 AM

I move the aim for all shots except putts.  In saying that I will move the aim on a long putt or one with a huge break.

• stencil
    455 Posts
    Thu, Nov 18 2010 11:05 AM

I use this method on all shots with pw and in on full shots, chips, and putts. I know differently but I feel like there is almost a larger margin for error. I dont use this method although on my shots with like 8 iron and over for some reason though its all just feel.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Nov 18 2010 12:22 PM

Beware of not moving the aimer! At least look at it, preferably in reverse view because it isn't always where you think it is. 

Here's a great "miss", one I've been using forever. On the flop shot, which normally goes right, as it should, try treating the first mark to the left of perfect as the ding mark. Now, don't move the aimer and use that as the ding and you'll be right on the hole.  :-)

• RobNE
    74 Posts
    Thu, Nov 18 2010 2:05 PM

YankeeJim:

don't move the aimer and use that as the ding and you'll be right on the hole.  :-)

Bloody hell!  It seems to work...

• PAGES
RSS