Forums

Help › Forums

Pitching/chipping bug

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jun 21 2009 6:15 PM (5 replies)
  • Tims4cfe
    2 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2009 9:22 AM

I run into this at least once in every round: I'm in the rough, a couple of yards from the green and my chip or pitch, though perfectly hit according to the meter, goes a yard or two and stops. I hit it again, same result. It might make the fringe, but when I play the next shot I get the same result.  I got so frustrated I tried hitting the ball full strength with a three iron and it went one yard. I've tried a few different tactics -- more distance, less distance, changing clubs, changing my aim -- and nothing works. I end up taking three or four extra shots. I could understand it if I've mishit the ball or haven't played enough distance to get over the rough, but when I'm two or three yards from the green and play the PW full strength at the 16-yard meter, I can't really believe I didn't give it enough distance. Hope you can fix this. I enjoy the game overall. I wish I could get enough distance on a good drive or fairway wood to allow me a chance to reach the greens in two, but I'll reserve judgement until you're finished with the beta phase. Thanks.

• termides
    3 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2009 10:13 AM

I am new to this game, however can't you go to the pro shop and buy a driver that will give you more distance.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2009 10:18 AM

Is there a specific hole/course this happens on?

The reason why I ask is that I always use the pitch shot (I can't comment on chips since I don't use it), and have never had  what happened to you happen to me.  And that's regardless of 15-20% or 40-50% rough.  BUT, I never hit any pitch shots less than 50% as that will result in unpredictable shots.

• Tims4cfe
    2 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2009 11:09 AM

Marioh: Thanks for responding. It doesn't seem to be any particular hole. Also, I almost always use the Pitch setting, just for consistency. But it doesn't seem to matter how much or how little "Distance" I give.

Termides: I haven't tried a different driver, but I've read several Forum posts that complain that the upgraded drivers don't allow much more distance. My suggestion, on that point, is that the distances for the beginners are unrealistically low. I would argue that a solid hit by a decent amateur ought to surpass the 250-yard mark. It shouldn't be assumed that amateurs or beginners can't hit the ball a decent distance when they do make solid contact. The real difference in overall skill levels -- and scoring over many rounds -- lies in being able to hit good, accurate shots consistently. I'm not a great golfer on a real course, but when I do connect I can get 280 yards or more, and I don't mean hitting downhill with a strong tail wind. My bigger problem, on a real course, is that I don't hit nearly enough of those pure shots. If this game could come closer to that reality, I'd love it.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2009 11:22 AM

Weird.   Have you tried clearing out your Flash cache?   I don't really think that'll make much of a difference, but it'll be the first thing WGT will have you try.

Also, when it does happen, just right click in the game window and report it as a bug so that WGT can look into it.

• Livermortis
    1 Posts
    Sun, Jun 21 2009 6:15 PM

i have had it happen alot and find it easer to get on the green from bunker than the rough.

RSS