Forums

Help › Forums

New Driver not what Expected

rated by 0 users
Mon, Oct 25 2010 10:34 AM (6 replies)
  • cornholieo
    12 Posts
    Sun, Oct 17 2010 11:31 AM

I got the 10.5D driver 247yd avg distance so, 7mph wind at my back, ball spot on top, and ding on the swing gets 232yd drive, this is not what I expected. I am new to this game and wondering if I am missing some trick for getting the advertised yardage. All comments are welcome. Tks

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Oct 18 2010 10:03 AM

If downwind you might want to pull the ball spot down for backspin... keeps the ball aloft in the wind for greater distance.  Also, was your shot uphill?  That could affect distance.  Or (especially on St. andrews) did you hit a hill or mound in the fairway that could have slowed the ball down?  I am assuming you didn't land in the rough... that is a distance killer.

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Mon, Oct 18 2010 1:48 PM

I use the same club and use full topspin on all drives. I find that i am driving atleast 247 and as much as 300yds with a decent tail wind.

• cornholieo
    12 Posts
    Mon, Oct 18 2010 11:37 PM

Thanks for the tip. The action of this club when I first bought it was strange, but the first time I closed and reopened the game was night and day different. The same drive on that hole now will go 260yds even though it is , as you surmised an up hill fairway, it seems to take a bounce sometimes that does cut down the yardage.

I had been using the shot marker, stopping the curser left or right, to allow for wind direction not realising any hit off the Ding cuts down length of the shot, especially on uphill putts.  I now set aim and try to hit a Ding when I need the distance.

• cornholieo
    12 Posts
    Mon, Oct 18 2010 11:53 PM

Thanks for your input.

I have been repeating tee off on one hole, is a pain, trying top and bottom, and center  hits  doing this I see the drive carrys farther in the air with back spin on downwind shots but stops faster.  The difference usually is 3-5yds, but can add 10yds to distance.

The game is so erratic in how it responds to conditions and shot settings unless you try something over n over you will not see, "It may not be you at all", the game glitches some shots. Must be the duffer law built in to the game LOL

• chinarider5
    2 Posts
    Sun, Oct 24 2010 7:50 AM

If you buy an advanced driver, does it automatically bump you to a new tee level?

or does that have to do with player level. I don't want to buy a driver that gives me an extra 30-40 yards, only to have 20 yards added on off the tee box.

thanks in advance

• dickie40
    37 Posts
    Mon, Oct 25 2010 10:34 AM

Buying the new equipment will not bump you to a new tee level. However, what you do with it may (or may not).

RSS