Help › Forums

quick advice please

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 20 2010 11:19 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • NorthernUnion
    9 Posts
    Sun, Oct 10 2010 12:48 AM

I'm currently a level 30 amature.I'd like to spend a little bit of money and improve my game with some better balls and either better irons or balls and a better putter. Can you kind people point me in the right direction of what to buy.

Also, though i don't think i need a new driver at this stage should i get a new driver as well?

Thanks all.

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Sun, Oct 10 2010 2:20 PM

Driver first ... the extra yards off the tee make everything else easier.

Wedges ... better wedges with some spin will give you more reasonable putts.

Putter .. the more precision the better. Don't look at just the meter speed, you need the ball to go where you hit it.

Then think irons ... again, precision is king.

If you look at full sets, I'd still say go for precision. I used Raptures for a long time ... slow meter, easy to hit ...but expensive. The switch to G-10's was night & day ... little harder to hit, but when you hit it, the ball usually goes where you aim.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Oct 10 2010 3:08 PM

With the new tier setup pay attention to what becomes available to you by level. As an amateur, save your money. Make the pro tier and then start looking. The better you get with the free stuff the better you will appreciate club upgrades. 

Patience, grasshopper.  :-)

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sun, Oct 10 2010 3:21 PM

Driver: level 32 Rapture V2
    Wedges: level 38 77-yard and 50-yard Z Satin wedges
    Irons: level 27 Burner Plus iron set
    Putter: level 28 iWi Anser Series

• GoldCard
    298 Posts
    Sun, Oct 10 2010 3:41 PM

YankeeJim:

With the new tier setup pay attention to what becomes available to you by level. As an amateur, save your money. Make the pro tier and then start looking. The better you get with the free stuff the better you will appreciate club upgrades. 

Patience, grasshopper.  :-)

Yes I agree with that as well:)

Play with what you have now at least until you reach Pro/Tour Pro and then upgrade carefully only what you need.

Get your levels up first or you will be stuck on a higher tier without being able to get the clubs you need.

Upgrading too early is only lining the pockets of WGT:)

Enjoy your golf (Fellow KIWI:))

• NorthernUnion
    9 Posts
    Sun, Oct 10 2010 9:26 PM

Thanks guys for your advice. All valuable! Another quick question. At what level does one advance to the pro stage? (currently i'm on level 30, almost 31).

Hey YankeeJim. With a name like yours i wouldn't have picked you as a Kiwi. Go the mighty Warriors :D

• Cadie
    33 Posts
    Mon, Oct 11 2010 7:29 AM

I was looking myself at either the Rapture V2 when I hit level 32 (currently 31) or going ahead and get the G10 9.5% to match my irons. Do you think forgiveness is more important than precision? Only three yards difference in the clubs so that doesn't seem to be a factor. Oh fyi I have not paid for any credits. Currently I have 1400 which all have come from surveys

• superchuck
    210 Posts
    Tue, Oct 12 2010 10:05 AM

NorthernUnion:

Thanks guys for your advice. All valuable! Another quick question. At what level does one advance to the pro stage? (currently i'm on level 30, almost 31).

Hey YankeeJim. With a name like yours i wouldn't have picked you as a Kiwi. Go the mighty Warriors :D

To Tier up to pro, you have to lower your avg. You must play ranked stroke games to do that, leveling up just means you play alot. Tiering up means your playing better.

Hope this clarifies things, play some 9 hole ranked stroke games, and do well at them, and you should tier up to Pro in no time, don't worry about levels so much.

c

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Wed, Oct 20 2010 10:49 AM

It all depends on your reaction and consistency. If you hit the "ding" or get close all the time - the G10 would be perfect buy if you mishit alot like myself stick to raptures.

• YancyCan
    3,027 Posts
    Wed, Oct 20 2010 11:09 AM

Cadie:

I was looking myself at either the Rapture V2 when I hit level 32 (currently 31) or going ahead and get the G10 9.5% to match my irons. Do you think forgiveness is more important than precision? Only three yards difference in the clubs so that doesn't seem to be a factor. Oh fyi I have not paid for any credits. Currently I have 1400 which all have come from surveys

Hellos - I am Yancy

My god man - 1400 credits from surveys?!

Certainly there must be an award for most surveys completed.

You are crowned the WGT SURVEY KING - and I respect your authority regarding such matters.

Best Regards!

Yancy's WGT YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/yancycan

• PAGES
RSS