Forums

Help › Forums

2014 Ladies International Crown

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 8 2014 6:07 PM (9 replies)
  • LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Sun, Jul 27 2014 1:59 AM

Been following this international tournament since the start. Each Team represents a country and has 4 players. Extremely exciting tournament in my eyes, sort of a la Ryder Cup with different format due to the amount of Countries entered

Usa & Korea were the two strongest teams with 1 & 2 in rankings. 

Usa is out! and Korea made it as wildcard!!!...what?

Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Japan are, together with Korea now, through the final day.

Yes, match play is pretty much different than stroke play and the American girls are not quite good at it, as a matter of fact very bad at it, sad.

Wonder how come Thailand is so good, almost unknown players with terrific skills. 

Well, longing badly to see the final today.

Eric

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sun, Jul 27 2014 2:54 AM

I've been watching too Eric...  It's been fantastic to watch.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sun, Jul 27 2014 9:40 AM

I've really enjoyed it so far ... I'm rooting for Spain to pull of the same magic today as they did yesterday!  

It's singles play today, so pretty much anyone's match!

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Mon, Jul 28 2014 7:49 AM

Spain champions!!!

From left: Azahara Munoz, Belen Mozo, Carlota Ciganda, and Beatriz Recari of Spain pose with the trophy after winning the International Crown at Cave Valley Golf Club on July 27, 2014 in Owings Mills, Maryland.

Felicidades guapas!!!!   OLE!!!

Awesome tournament this was, so well organised and all players participants seemed to have enjoyed every minute of it. Perhaps not much for the American girls who were almost pushed to make comments over & over about their misfortune rounds.

I enjoy it a lot. Again, nice to see the girls battling on match formats and not only in stroke play.

Longing for the 2015 event :-)

Eric

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Mon, Jul 28 2014 11:11 AM

I called it!  (after the US bowed out, of course).

Spain played exceptionally well.  Very cool that they won the International Crown!

I'm looking forward to next year as well!  It was an extremely good event!

• huskerketel
    409 Posts
    Tue, Jul 29 2014 3:53 PM

Eric, Iowa State Unuiversity for the past 5 years has loaded their women's golf  team with players from Thai and they are all good. Being an old Big 12 guy but now in the Big ten with my team Nebraska, I do not agree with that style of recruiting, just to build a team that this last year was rated 22 for NCAA schools.

That means 5 or 6 USA girls don't get a chance for a scholarship. It really wouldn't surprise me to see Thia win. Iowa State has also recruited one girl from Spain.

I too watched some of this tournament and found it really good. Hope they continue it.

Huskerketel

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Tue, Jul 29 2014 4:39 PM

huskerketel:
    That means 5 or 6 USA girls don't get a chance for a scholarship. It really wouldn't surprise me to see Thia win. Iowa State has also recruited one girl from Spain.

The sad truth is most high schools only have a "golf team" ... not a "boys golf" and "girls golf" team.

For the women that make it on the HS golf team, they usually do get scholarships to colleges ... but usually you'll only find one or two women on the golf team for each HS league.  

In our HS league between 10 high schools, only two women were on these 10 teams.

Golf just isn't as big as Football or Basketball here ... so many colleges recruit out-of-country.  Maybe some day high schools will have golf teams for girls ... until then, you can expect more of the same.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Jul 29 2014 7:50 PM

huskerketel:
    I do not agree with that style of recruiting

Nor do I. In fact I can't stand it. Might just as well round'um all up from Iran. India, Pakistan, and so forth.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 2:48 AM

huskerketel:

Eric, Iowa State Unuiversity for the past 5 years has loaded their women's golf  team with players from Thai and they are all good. Being an old Big 12 guy but now in the Big ten with my team Nebraska, I do not agree with that style of recruiting, just to build a team that this last year was rated 22 for NCAA schools.

I too watched some of this tournament and found it really good. Hope they continue it.

Huskerketel

Thanks for the info, that explains why Thailand has such strong players.

As I do not live in the Us since billions of years ago, I have not much idea of how girls are given scholarships or whatever to become professional golf players, if they ever reach that level.

One thing I notice when watching Ladies golf tournaments in the Us lately, so many Asian female players doing fantastic, especially those from Korea, there are everywhere and growing and taking the best rankings.

Is there are key to their success?, is it because their mentality is different from any American female player? is it because of the amount of Asian people living now in the Us?, just wonder why.

Hope I am not offending anyone or underestimating the American female players, it is just clear that something is different than it was, lets say, 10 years ago.

However, love watching the female golf events, just very different from the boy ones.

Eric

• huskerketel
    409 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 6:07 PM

Eric, some time ago I read an article about the success of these girls Yes there is a difference in how they are "Trained"

Top make a long story short, it seems like the family gets totally behind the girl, if she is showing good progession.

What this means is usually the  mother goes to work full time to support the advancement, the father takes over as "at home coach" and works tightly with the real coach..

Its like the young girl has an obligation to the family to achieve and full support is given to her to reach that level. The family, in essence, throws their entire support to the young woman, more likely young girl.

Now this is true in all Asian players. It is not fixed on one country. Probably Japan has laged behind the other Asian countries.

Its interesting, but on the same angle, we have not seem that same success in the PGA ranks.

Huskerketel alias Roger

RSS