Help › Forums

Masters Clubs

rated by 0 users
Thu, Oct 7 2010 6:01 AM (2 replies)
  • Partsman41953
    341 Posts
    Thu, Oct 7 2010 3:03 AM

Hello all, 

I have been a master since the new tiers were assigned but I have not been able to improve any and I was wondering if it could be the clubs I was using. My bag is equipped with the following: 

Ping G10 driver

Rapture V2 Pro 3 wood

Ping G10 master iron set

Ping 52 degree wedge

Ping 60 degree wedge

Satin 64 degree wedge

Daytona putter.

At the moment I am shooting right around par each round but since I have been here over a year I would have thought I would have improved by now. 

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone could offer. 

Thanks, 

Glenn

• Seekerb
    651 Posts
    Thu, Oct 7 2010 4:02 AM

I am sure that better players than me will advise you but for what it is worth I am a Tour Master and often break par avg between mid 64 and mid 67> I dont know why you are using the rapture with difft meter speed except under present system you prob cant replace it with something like the G10.  For me it is learning to be more precise and hit club exactly as you want to for wind etc.  I prefer the G10 drive to the Taylor because it is more precise and has slower meter than the taylor.  I dont know if the upgrades mean that you have to be more precise anyway just a few thoughts for what they re worth.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Oct 7 2010 6:01 AM

Looking at your stats shows an area that might help, Glenn. Your GIR is just under 64 and your putting average is 1.74.  One leads to another so if you can get that putting down to 1.5 that translates to just over 2 strokes per 9. At 64% GIR it looks like your course management could use a little tweaking.

Focus on that GIR and the putting will follow. Try playing to the clubs you have instead of whacking away and dealing with the result. For instance, take KIA #4. Do you par this hole regularly or struggle because of the difficult 2nd shot and that obnoxious bunker guarding the green? Instead of trying to get on in 2, lay up to a distance where you can use those good wedges you have. That way your 3rd shot will be 1-putt close. (The GIR takes a hit but the putting average will drop.)

Making heroic recovery shots is another thing a lot of players try. Oftentimes this leads to more disaster. Take your medicine, get back into play and save the par. Little changes like this will only improve your scores. GL

RSS